The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #21,586 of 21,761
  So this purchase partly might be Apple's bid to become more Plebian as its mass consumer appeal falters for the segment Cupertino rose to the top with ---- music. Apple likely has something up its sleeves regarding the future of music hardware, whether it be hearables, high-resolution, wireless, or all three and more. Purchasing the most recognizable headphone brand in the world enables them to dictate the direction of the whole of the headphone market (for better or for worse --- let's just say better for now, because, Apple).

If Apple was to try and dictate the future of the headphone industry they won't do it with Beats. Substance will always outlive hype and the next flavor of the month.
My view is Iovine brings something Apple sorely needs, content and insider knowledge of the music and, generally speaking, the media industry. They need him to keep from becoming known as the blundering dinosaur that the next generations dad and mom used to rave about. I really don't think this move is going to work though. both sides are so alien to one another when you consider how different the companies cultures are.

I think DF has it. This is as much or more a talent acquisition (Iovine) as it is a property acquisition (Beats).

Iovine is not just the head man of Beats. Before that he was the founder of Interscope records, which means he's one handshake away from a considerable range of talents and industry people, and was the boss over many of them. Apple now has on their side one of the most scary powerful guys in the entertainment industry since Steve Jobs (Pixar and freakin' Disney) left. Except that Iovine's commitment to Apple is not going to be as total as Jobs' was. Despite his pricetag. We'll see. Anyway.

This indicates to me Apple has some kind of intentions to dig deeper into the media distribution chain. Exactly where, I dunno. If anything it indicates Apple is kind of obsessively focusing on the music industry when their competitors (Netflix, Amazon) are branching into original TV content. But Apple might also be considering TV an arena they wouldn't be able to get good leverage into, or an unnecessary fragmenting of their resources. The Apple TV is a profitable product for them even while they continue to underplay its role in their product lineup, which would be a sign they have bigger plans and also that they aren't ready to pull off those bigger plans.

Given as the Beats deal had been rumored for a while now (and probably instigated by a deliberate leak by Iovine's staff) and only closed this week, there was probably an up-to-the-wire acquisition deadline of this weekend so that Apple has a new venture announcement to make at the WWDC event next Monday. We'll see.

May 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #21,587 of 21,761

I hope it wasn't me
blink.gif
The coiffed Canadian????

No no, I'm sure the "coiffed Canadian" was a reference to Justin Bieber, not you. 

May 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #21,588 of 21,761
I'd like to know the details of the contract Iovine signed. How free is he? Can he pack his bags in a certain amount of time? Is he supposed to make certain things happen? What expectations are there on him? What if he suddenly thinks Apple is a bad employer, and "reduces his productivity" so to say? And so on...

I can understand doing this for teams of engineers with smaller leverage but brilliant ideas, and so on, because they have little to no leverage in the business they're in (seen from a bigger picture). But for Iovine because of his connections and reputation in the industry? I don't know. He seems like a loose gun and I bet his only alliance and loyalty belongs to his own bank account, and not whoever "hires" him. An expensive and risky move, IMO.

I don't buy it. Not only for him. As for Beats, yeah, like I said, popular things have a tendency of fluctuate in popularity among the youth, and they've been on the top for a while now and I'm willing to bet that their popularity is going to backlash sooner or later, especially with the (for me perceived) oversaturation in marketing.

No, the conspiratory soul in me says Apple has more plans than "buying" power in Iovine and a brand that may just as well be gone tomorrow. I still think that if they wanted Beats for making money they would've made the acquisition earlier, or Iovine for his power in the industry hired him or someone with equal power. There's more to it (like i.e. hearables/wearables), LOL.

May 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #21,590 of 21,761
Being an Apple shareholder, I honestly don't like the deal for the assets, but I do like it for the talent.

I would bet that Iovine has a pretty significant non-compete clause in this deal. It also may be a case where he is promised a spot in the succession plan or perhaps running a spun off company that is just itunes music.

May 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #21,592 of 21,761
So I don't know if anyone in the thread is following this, but something very wrong is going on with Logitech. There have been 4 people who have ordered the new 2014 Logitech UE900s from authorised dealers and received a UE900 in a UE900s box with the UE900s accessories.

I made this video about it because I think that whatever is happening, it is completely unacceptable for a $400 earphone.

Just a PSA to the diary thread, don't order this IEM until this thing is clarified (if at all).

May 31, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #21,594 of 21,761
Apple has so much cash that they need to do something with it - and doing acquisitions is the obvious choice. Apple isn't dumb enough to think that Iovine will do anything other than hang around during the transition of the company and then take his money and walk away. That's what 99% of company founders do. I have no doubt Iovine believes "I did it before, I can do it again" - and it won't be another headphone company - it will be something else - and he will sell that next company too. This is what being a serial entrepreneur is all about. It's all about taking the risks and reaping the rewards.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #21,595 of 21,761
Apple has so much cash that they need to do something with it - and doing acquisitions is the obvious choice. Apple isn't dumb enough to think that Iovine will do anything other than hang around during the transition of the company and then take his money and walk away. That's what 99% of company founders do. I have no doubt Iovine believes "I did it before, I can do it again" - and it won't be another headphone company - it will be something else - and he will sell that next company too. This is what being a serial entrepreneur is all about. It's all about taking the risks and reaping the rewards.

Well, can't say you don't have a point. It comes down to what was decided behind closed doors though. Considering Apple is a noteworthy company Iovine may also be thinking he could make even more money by hanging around if the stars are aligned properly. Only time will tell, either way he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Am I the only one who never thought the Curpentino turtleneck gang would team up with the Dr from NWO an the godfather of the record mafia?

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #21,596 of 21,761
So, I got a call from my wife early this morning.

It turns out that my dog died in his sleep somewhere between yesterday and today. He was a wonderful dog, I will really, really miss him. He was my best friend and never ever judged me. You know, I had him before I met my wife. Man, it feels empty knowing that he won't be coming home from the countryside cabin with the rest of my family.

Wherever you go now dude, thanks for the privilege of being best friends with you.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #21,597 of 21,761
Sorry for your loss - warms my heart to see photos and hear about your friendship.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #21,598 of 21,761
Sorry to hear that Coq... :frowning2: 

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #21,599 of 21,761
Sorry about your loss bud. Lost my first best friend last year after 15 years and it hurts. My other best friend is 8 and is truly a gem, goes everywhere with me and as you so eloquently said, never judges me.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #21,600 of 21,761
I have always had a dog - the only time I was without one was while I was in college. When I'm down, a dog can make me feel better when no one else can. They aren't human and they don't live the same lifespan as humans. They are something better - they are dogs! You provided Benji with exactly what he needed - a home and a family that loved him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back