The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,216 of 21,763
I'm curious about this though. Even my UHA6 MKII exhibits discrepancies when comparing the USB  to its Coaxial and Toslink connections. The sound is noticeably better via Coaxial and Toslink....

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #1,217 of 21,763
Quote:
LOL, well I didn't mean to suggest that there should be comparisons that denigrate or disparage women in any way... just that some headphones could also be male on occasion.  Good or bad, surely some headphones would be of the male variety? 

The pronouns can be switched to male ones in those descriptions, and they'd still be perfectly valid. There's nothing inherently "female" about any particular pair of headphones, with a few exceptions (which I will leave to the imagination). I mainly choose to describe them in female terms because of the connection to head-fiers' near-sexualization of gear, which I find humorous and intriguing. Since I'm attracted to females myself, it's what I go for in anthropomorphizing them, but not out of any conviction that they have genuine genders.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #1,218 of 21,763
Incredible String Band continues to be one of the most anomalous artists in my music connection.

By all rights, they're firmly in the category of "yowling cats but not half as well tuned". But there's a weird kind of pleasant dreamy comfort to it too. All while avoiding the usual major/minor revert to means type droning that characterizes most modern music that attempts to balance edgy dissonance and introspectiveness. Instead, they err towards ranginess and noodling but never get completely lost.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd5yq76q51c[/VIDEO]

It's not music I listen to often these days. I can't really put it away, though. There are times where it's the only thing that will hit the spot.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,219 of 21,763
Quote:

The pronouns can be switched to male ones in those descriptions, and they'd still be perfectly valid. There's nothing inherently "female" about any particular pair of headphones, with a few exceptions (which I will leave to the imagination). I mainly choose to describe them in female terms because of the connection to head-fiers' near-sexualization of gear, which I find humorous and intriguing. Since I'm attracted to females myself, it's what I go for in anthropomorphizing them, but not out of any conviction that they have genuine genders.

Do you do the same for your vehicle?  I tend to do that regarding my vehicle. Never really did though for my audio gear :).

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #1,222 of 21,763
Quote:
Incredible String Band

I love ISB.

When we were having that debate in the old thread about what constitutes "psychedelic," and I was arguing that it was an inherent quality that some music taps into and some doesn't, they were one of my prime examples.

Unfortunately, this is one of those bands whose music is so utterly ingrained into a particular time and space that happened to be extremely painful for me, so I really can't listen to them anymore.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,224 of 21,763
I love ISB.

Unfortunately, this is one of those bands whose music is so utterly ingrained into a particular time and space that happened to be extremely painful for me, so I really can't listen to them anymore.

Ow, yeah. Fortunately they don't have this connotation for me. Other music and visual art does, although now that I think it's kind of weird that there's not really any artforms I feel as intensely as those. (Edit: Or maybe it's better to say that other artforms rarely have the potential of imparting the same lasting emotional weight for me as certain music and visual art can.)

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,225 of 21,763
On my search for a new laptop, I keep coming across the Clevo laptops I've mentioned earlier. So, I've looked them up, and they are seemingly of a pretty good build quality and apparently they have better cooling than most laptops have. Furthermore, some of the Clevo laptops are able to have even GTX 680M in SLi. That's just .. ridiculous .. seeing as a single GTX 680M can handle the absolute majority of games, even at Ultra details and 1080p. So, as a result, I've read more and more reviews about a certain particular model, namely Clevo P370. It is the same computer as Sager NP 9370. It's not as attractive as the Macbook Pro with Retina, but I do find myself liking the looks of it more than usual gaming laptops a.k.a. flying saucers with flashing lights.

As far as hardware specs go in a laptop, this is the top of the heap. The particular one I have looked at is about $1000 more expensive than for example a Samsung Series 7 Gamer, or a few hundred dollars more than a MSI GT70-0NE. Incidentally, it costs about precisely as much as a Macbook Pro with Retina display. Now, even though the display on the Clevo isn't as good as the Retina screen, it is no slouch: AUO B173HW01 V4, 1920x1080, 90% NTSC - 90% color gamut is *very* good. It's no IPS though from my understanding.

The particular one I've kind of custom built on their online configurator:

1 x AUO B173HW01 V4, 1920x1080, 90% NTSC
1 x I7 3720QM | 2,6-3,6 GHz 6 MB, 45 W
1 x 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (4x8 GB)
1 x 2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M 4 GB GDDR5 SLI
1 x Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD
1 x 2TB Western Digital Scorpio Green 7200rpm 2,5"
1 x Blu-ray combo
1 x Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300 - endast trådlöst (kampanjpris) 270,00  kr
1 x Arctic MX-4 100,00  kr

All this would be for exactly the same price as a Macbook with Retina, save for a few dollars (I think the Clevo is actually a few dollars cheaper, but they're pretty much the same price) - except that I get a 2 year warranty with the Clevo, whereas I would have to buy Apple Care for the same kind of warranty.

Now, most of you are probably wondering why the heck I'm comparing a monster gaming PC to a MBPr, and one of you know already, but it's because I was planning on getting myself one of them.

I don't know about you, but since I'm already kind of stuck to the Microsoft platform by having already started my .NET project (and also, the company looking to hire me are .NET based) - I think the choice would be pretty simple. As for the monstrous amount of RAM, yeah it's overkill, but I do sometimes use virtualization and with that amount of RAM I would be able to virtualize Windows Server for my projects and still have plenty left for RAM cache and/or RAM disk.

Man that is one hell of a laptop with benchmark scores up to 5x-10x of my current desktop system. On a friggin laptop. That's just ridiculous.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,226 of 21,763
I just think the new Apple connector is an example of "better" that wasn't really necessary. Sure, all the points discussed are improvements (thinner, reversible, etc) - but in this application, would micro USB have worked? This connector seems a long way from the KISS principle. I suspect one of the reasons Apple hasn't previously attempted more IP claims in the accessory market is because the cost of enforcement to go after every little player would probably be too high - especially since the primary source of the infringing parts may be in countries that are not IP friendly. However, if they can make a change upstream that narrows the field to only those that can afford to develop around a custom IC, AND the enforcement of IP claims related to ICs is much more clearly defined, then they can target their IP enforcement and drive companies to license the IP rather than clone it. IMHO, this just doesn't smell like an engineering-driven change - it has product marketing & finance written all over it...

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,227 of 21,763
Quote:

All this would be for exactly the same price as a Macbook with Retina, save for a few dollars (I think the Clevo is actually a few dollars cheaper, but they're pretty much the same price) - except that I get a 2 year warranty with the Clevo, whereas I would have to buy Apple Care for the same kind of warranty.

MMM burger 

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,228 of 21,763
CdC: If I didn't know better, I would say you are looking for one of us to talk you out of it. Ain't gonna happen...

I think you should buy Mac for the SW, not the HW. It's as simple as that - if you want the Mac experience, then buy Mac, if that isn't a primary driver, then don't.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,229 of 21,763
Pre-dating that however I enjoyed anthropomorphizing my headphones as archetypal women because of those anime illustrations of "headphone girls" that are so popular. This is by no means limited to the world's best, however. I've anthropomorphized plenty of terrible headphones as bratty or shallow girls, even homicidal or psychotic ones.

This phrase is interesting to me, since some of the more memorable and IMO great anime characters are homicidal and/or psychotic ones. Some examples would be Gasai Yuno from Future Diary (overly obsessive girlfriend, or yandere), Fuura Kafuka from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (hyper optimistic/positive girl with a dark past and darker mind. The manga/anime itself is based on the shenanigans of a suicidal teacher and his class full of insane people. Obvoiusly hilarity ensues but it's very very Japanese centric, BUT I think the licensed English translation to be as good as the fans' translation. How well it translate in actuality is a mystery for me unless I'm magically am a Japanese and have lived as one for my whole life), Kyubey (maybe?) from Madoka Magica (using teenage girls' emotions as galactic energy to counter entropy, or something. Saying anything more would be too much spoilers now that I think about it... *shrug*), Franken Fran from Franken Fran (gory sci-fi manga, bordering disgusting and oh so good. She's a well-intentioned surgeon that really wants to help people, only in ways that didn't turn out well for the patients. Go have a read somewhere if you think you can stomach it. It goes to say that it's highly NSFW), and the crazies from NGE, to name a few. I'm having trouble naming male characters because they don't stick to me much if their bat**** crazy. I had one headphones I named Fuura Kafuka, but now that I think about it again, that's a very hard character to pin down on a headphone since it needs to me hyper positive on the outside, but bat**** insane and downright high octane nightmare fuel the more you get to know her. This would be my ultimate phone though, if I manage to find it.

And someone did ask which headphone is the most macho one. I wonder which is the most Kamina-like.

/animegushing

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,230 of 21,763
Quote:
MMM burger 

That is one fat burger with gobs of cheese and bacon.
Quote:
CdC: If I didn't know better, I would say you are looking for one of us to talk you out of it. Ain't gonna happen...
I think you should buy Mac for the SW, not the HW. It's as simple as that - if you want the Mac experience, then buy Mac, if that isn't a primary driver, then don't.

To be honest, I was after a Mac experience, but as a desktop replacement. I was actually going to get rid of my current setup of the Vaio (my wife wants to inherit it - she loves that one) and the desktop computer and only use one laptop (and perhaps a tablet at a later date). Now, the thing that has been holding me back from a Mac experience is the fact that I'm invested on the MS platform, even with my hobbies (the .NET project I've got going on, and my newly found love for gaming). So, the Mac experience - while very tempting - would still have to make way for the MS experience most of the time.

Also, after having spent time with my wifes 15,6" screen, I feel it's just a tad bit small to be honest. I think 17" is more my thing. I know I can get thesame work space resolution wise from a 15" screen, but still, it's a bit small for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back