The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,251 of 21,763
Quote:

LOL!
Where does all that "bloat" comes from? I might need to check my Win8 install to see how many GB it takes.

"Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet, due on February 9th, will have a smaller amount of storage space than expected. A company spokesperson has confirmed to The Verge that the 64GB edition of Surface Pro will have 23GB of free storage out of the box. The 128GB model will have 83GB of free storage. It appears that the Windows 8 install, built-in apps, and a recovery partition will make up the 41GB total on the base Surface Pro model.

Microsoft says users will be able to free up additional storage space by "creating a backup bootable USB and deleting the recovery partition," but out of the box they'll be left with as little as 36 percent of the advertised storage available. The storage situation is similar to Microsoft's Surface RT tablet. The Windows RT operating system, that powers Surface RT, accounts for half of the 32GB disk space on the entry model. Microsoft's Surface Pro supports USB 3.0 hard drives and microSDXC cards, meaning there are ways to extend the storage."

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,252 of 21,763
Quote:
Well, you can run two GTX 680s in a SLI setup and it would net you more performance than what's in that server, and it would cost you about $900. Less if you're going through the used market. The fact of the matter is, none of the components in the server warrant the insane cost and as Combat previously stated, is overkill for the application in mind. I dunno, maybe some people out there need to buffer a week's worth of audio or something :l The "standard SSDs are in the stone age" statement is hilarious too 

Yeah, standard SSDs ARE the stoneage. A lovely, lovely stoneage that I have yet to experience on my own computer.

Quote:
The 128GB ipad's cheaper than the Surface Pro and has more usable memory. Ultimately you should choose what best helps you do what you want to do, but I don't know why it's getting slammed on price and the Surface Pro isn't. It seems to me like you get more for your dollar.

I'm not sure that the Surface Pro and the iPad should be compared. Despite both being tablets, they ultimately have very different goals, target audiences and purposes. The surface pro, at least on paper, is aimed at pros and businesses with need of a desktop operating system and it's software on the go, on a tablet. It's probably one of Microsofts most pinpointed niche crowd to date competing with the professional tablets of HP and such with similar or even greater prices, while the normal Surface is more aimed at the average joe, competing with the iPads and Nexus 7's of the world. What I'm saying is that the similarities between the surface pro and the ipad starts and ends with the word 'tablet'.

As for the price of the new iPad, what is it, $799 for 128 GB storage? If so, I think it's quite alright considering how much the 32 and the 64 versions cost. However, I have completely missed it because of busy work days and so on. I'll have to dig deeper into this. I may actually be interested (no, I haven't invested in one yet despite my wife being the one who wants us to have one, and she's usually the economic one holding my spendings back, LOL).

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #5,253 of 21,763
Quote:
Yeah, standard SSDs ARE the stoneage. A lovely, lovely stoneage that I have yet to experience on my own computer.
I'm not sure that the Surface Pro and the iPad should be compared. Despite both being tablets, they ultimately have very different goals, target audiences and purposes. The surface pro, at least on paper, is aimed at pros and businesses with need of a desktop operating system and it's software on the go, on a tablet. It's probably one of Microsofts most pinpointed niche crowd to date competing with the professional tablets of HP and such with similar or even greater prices, while the normal Surface is more aimed at the average joe, competing with the iPads and Nexus 7's of the world. What I'm saying is that the similarities between the surface pro and the ipad starts and ends with the word 'tablet'.

As for the price of the new iPad, what is it, $799 for 128 GB storage? If so, I think it's quite alright considering how much the 32 and the 64 versions cost. However, I have completely missed it because of busy work days and so on. I'll have to dig deeper into this. I may actually be interested (no, I haven't invested in one yet despite my wife being the one who wants us to have one, and she's usually the economic one holding my spendings back, LOL).

If it isn't a 1TB DDR3 RAMdisk it isn't work putting in your media server.

"Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet, due on February 9th, will have a smaller amount of storage space than expected. A company spokesperson has confirmed to The Verge that the 64GB edition of Surface Pro will have 23GB of free storage out of the box. The 128GB model will have 83GB of free storage. It appears that the Windows 8 install, built-in apps, and a recovery partition will make up the 41GB total on the base Surface Pro model.

Seems odd. My full fat desktop windows 8 install is only 20.3GB.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #5,255 of 21,763
My computer cost money and has lots of GB's.

-Edit-

Do you have "Always" by Xiu Xiu, MF?  I'm hearing a lot of artifacting in it now and am wondering if it was just produced like that or if the rips I made were messed up somehow.

I really don't have much interesting going on to talk about, I'm afraid.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #5,256 of 21,763
Quote:
Microsoft says users will be able to free up additional storage space by "creating a backup bootable USB and deleting the recovery partition," but out of the box they'll be left with as little as 36 percent of the advertised storage available. The storage situation is similar to Microsoft's Surface RT tablet. The Windows RT operating system, that powers Surface RT, accounts for half of the 32GB disk space on the entry model. Microsoft's Surface Pro supports USB 3.0 hard drives and microSDXC cards, meaning there are ways to extend the storage."

AAAHHHHH!!

That's it then!
The recovery portion is included in that "bloat"! I'm pretty sure that once you get rid of it, space will jump back to a much more decent one...

Changing gears...

Who here has/had posession of Audio Technicas W1000X? I'm almost going to bite on a pair... but not sure yet. My current favorite closed-back headphone are the Ultrasone Signature Pros. My second favorites right now are the Mad Dogs. Both offer great sound reproduction (to my ears). None of them really emphasize a spectrum, as in, present but not too forward that becomes fatiguing. The only other AT I've had was the A900X which was uncomfortable due to the plastic-cheapo pads used and it was mid-forward but it wasn't offensive. Now, please, don't tell me that I should get the Fostex TH-900s... (even though I want to... and even though I loved my Denon D5000s...) Why not? I'm using these mostly at work so sound leakage is a problem (it was with the D5000s) and isolation.

Anyway, do the w1000X warrant a purchase?

:wink:

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #5,258 of 21,763
Quote:

Do you have "Always" by Xiu Xiu?  I'm hearing a lot of artifacting in it now and am wondering if it was just produced like that or if the rips I made were messed up somehow.

Especially "I love abortion" song is full of artifacts. 

I like Dawn Richard's album "Goldenheart". It's more atmospheric and versatile than regular R&B stuff. I rarely listen to R&B but have added lately Frank Ocean's "Channel Orange" and now Dawn Richard's relaxing album. It didn't score very high at Pitchfork though ( 7.3 points).

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5,260 of 21,763
The 2014 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, coming to the USA? Very possible, with a proposed price of <$30,000. I think it's a pretty little thing.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5,261 of 21,763
Quote:
This thread has become boring...

If gaming makes you a bit happier than computer nerd talk, then I feel obligated to inform you that I just ordered Assassins Creed Anthology Box, for about $75 in my country.

1. Assassin's Creed Anthology is a prestige collector's edition which includes all expansion packs and downloadable content for the Assassin's Creed games, including the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed III, which provides full access to all forthcoming downloadable content, the first of which will be available mid-December. The Anthology Edition also includes five exclusive lithographs, an exclusive steel book and a collector's box. 
    1. Assassin's Creed - Experience the power of an Assassin in Jerusalem, 1191 AD during the brutal times of the third Crusades.
    2. Assassin's Creed II - introduces you to Ezio, a new assassin carrying on the deadly lineage of his forebears. Confront an epic tale of power and corruption as you hone your assassin's art, wielding weapons and instruments designed by the legendary Leonardo da Vinci himself in this gripping and deadly sequel. Also includes: Sequence 12: Battle of Forlì DLC and Sequence 13: Bonfire of the Vanities DLC.
    3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - The Da Vinci Edition - Ezio must journey into Italy's greatest city, Rome, center of power, greed and corruption to strike at the heart of the enemy. Defeating the corrupt tyrants entrenched there will require not only strength, but leadership, as Ezio commands an entire brotherhood of assassins who will rally to his side. Only by working together can the assassins defeat their mortal enemies and prevent the extinction of their order. Also includes: The Da Vinci Disappearance: 1 single player story Mission, 2 Additional Solo Missions: Trajan Market and the Aqueducts, New Multiplayer features: 1 Map + 6 Characters + 2 new modes,
    4. Assassin's Creed® Revelations - The Ottoman Edition - Ezio Auditore must leave his life behind in search of answers, in search of the truth. In Assassin's Creed - Revelations, master assassin Ezio Auditore walks in the footsteps of the legendary mentor Altaïr, on a journey of discovery and revelation. It is a perilous path ? one that will take Ezio to Constantinople, the heart of the Ottoman Empire, where a growing army of Templars threatens to destabilize the region. Also includes: The lost archive: 1 single player story Mission, New Singleplayer Features: 3 Skins, Capacity upgrades + 1 Additional Mission: Vlad the Impaler's Prison, New Multiplayer Features: 6 Maps + 7 Characters + Customisation Items
    5. Assassin's Creed III - invites players to experience the untold story of the American Revolution through the eyes of a new Assassin, Connor. Designed from the ground up over more than two years, Assassin's Creed III takes one of gaming's most beloved franchises to new heights. Also includes: The Season Pass, providing instant access to all forthcoming Assassin's Creed III downloadable game content packs, the first of which is available from mid-December 2012.

$75 is a pretty good price, no?

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,263 of 21,763

My laptop takes 3 minutes to fully boot up, I'm so firmly entrenched in the Paleolithic era, it'd make Encino man blush

Anyway I'm pretty optimistic about 2013. New Joy Formidable, Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, Bosnian Rainbows, Boris and hell, new MBV. I can finally stop spinnin Luminous Orange and pretending it's Kevin Shields, now if Isaac Brock would drop the glacial pace shtick my year would be made

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #5,265 of 21,763
Quote:
My laptop takes 3 minutes to fully boot up, I'm so firmly entrenched in the Paleolithic era, it'd make Encino man blush

It's pretty difficult to go back to regular HDDs when you get accustomed to the instantaneous-ness of SSDs. I always spit an curse at my work computer because it takes 15 seconds to load Word, instead of the 3 that it takes on my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back