The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3,856 of 21,763
My opinion on that will depend entirely on the price.  I actually think that's an application where crappy boom boom pow is far from the worst thing in the world.  Motorcycles are ******* loud. 

I almost got that DAC that guy over there* was selling but opted to stick with my original plan of getting a really good USB -> SPDIF when it becomes available again and waiting on a real DAC upgrade until I can live with myself getting one of those super ridiculous ones and call it a night.

My grandma called me earlier wondering what I wanted for Christmas and my birthday (27th) and when I told her "uhh... iuno, some nice gloves?" she insisted that wasn't enough.  Then I told her I could use an A/V receiver for my living room/console gamin' setup, stressing that it didn't have to be anything fancy and she excitedly gave me her credit card info and told me to ship whatever I bought to her house so she could wrap it.  Lol?

* doing this really amuses me sometimes.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #3,858 of 21,763
I actually had that exact thought earlier today when I stumbled upon some weird heaven like area in Goblet Grotto with a 4-sided sky box* (literally, I guess) featuring Mario-esque cartoon clouds and a similar shade of blue.  I can't say I know what the hell I'm doing in said game yet, *but I find it really charming in large part due to the imagined playset feel all the areas have.  It feels like the kind of gameworld its creators have always wanted to play in and I really respect that.  See also: Platform Masters

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's something really charming and sincere in that degree of artificial presentation.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #3,859 of 21,763
I really like that room. I've personally always wanted a starry night themed room. No, not the painting either. 

I remember when I was young, there was this local restaurant that served the best pasta ever. HUGE portions too. The real reason I always loved going there was the feeling of it. It was a low lit place, and the ceiling was a deep, deep dark blue. In the ceiling (and on the edges of the ceiling too) it looked like they embedded Christmas lights into the paneling. So it had this relaxed, celestial vibe about it. To this day, it remains one of my favorite themes in design. It is so hard to get perfect, but when it is done right, the feel is just sublime. It is actually what kind of design I commissioned for my favorite tea cup as well. A potter in NY with his own wood kiln made a mountain scene over the cup, with a small moon. He put it further in the kiln, so ash made small little pocks on the top, similar to stars in the sky. I'll post pics later if I remember.

That was another idea I had for customs at one point. A translucent dark navy shell with very light amounts of silver glitter in the shell, and an engraved silver moon similar to so:

I think that's one of the main reasons I've wanted customs. Other than the fit, the thought of having an IEM truly reprosenting your style and what you enjoy thrills me. The celestial theme also reflects my sound preferences. Like watching the stars on a crisp cool night, wrapped up in a warm blanket. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3,862 of 21,763
Quote:
Good Greef man - What is that thing you got over there.

Zuse Z4 Totale dual monoblock integrated amp. The console in the middle is the passive controller; behind it is the phono preamp and to the left are two banks of the right channel output section.

It's a hybrid OT-OTL superheterodyne with polybalanced valance output. I opted to compromise the sound a little by installing the optional autobias controller. It's in the garage, because the relay clicking when the system's on standby got a bit deafening.

And as in all things tube, the point is the midrange. And that's where the system really rocks. You'll never get such a dry, lush and liquidly clinical sounding emphasis in the mids like this. It definitely makes the rolloff in the bass and highs tolerable, and my only real complaint is it can be a challenge to get proper volume out of it on peaky material.

But still and all, it's getting a bit tiresome. And lease on the warehouse storing the backup set of matched tubes is beginning to feel like a hollow nuisance.

So I'm thinking solid state. Still undecided, though. The Stretch 7040 is not without its controversies too; those capacitors you see at the bottom of the dual monoblocks (they're the blue stripes) are in the signal path, and some claim the nixie light displays cause signal interference.

I can't imagine powering the HE-6 with anything less, though.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,864 of 21,763
Quote:

Zuse Z4 Totale dual monoblock integrated amp. The console in the middle is the passive controller; behind it is the phono preamp and to the left are two banks of the right channel output section.

It's a hybrid OT-OTL superheterodyne with polybalanced valance output. I opted to compromise the sound a little by installing the optional autobias controller. It's in the garage, because the relay clicking when the system's on standby got a bit deafening.

And as in all things tube, the point is the midrange. And that's where the system really rocks. You'll never get such a dry, lush and liquidly clinical sounding emphasis in the mids like this. It definitely makes the rolloff in the bass and highs tolerable, and my only real complaint is it can be a challenge to get proper volume out of it on peaky material.

But still and all, it's getting a bit tiresome. And lease on the warehouse storing the backup set of matched tubes is beginning to feel like a hollow nuisance.

So I'm thinking solid state. Still undecided, though. The Stretch 7040 is not without its controversies too; those capacitors you see at the bottom of the dual monoblocks (they're the blue stripes) are in the signal path, and some claim the nixie light displays cause signal interference.

I can't imagine powering the HE-6 with anything less, though.

Looks like the Star Trek command center..

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3,865 of 21,763
Good to see my favorite thread is back in full swing again. I was suffering from with drawl because I was scared I didn't have a thread to come online to and mindlessly screw around on. I notice the tribe took a casualty. I miss him already
frown.gif

Hey Romy did you get my PM?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3,866 of 21,763
How many people here are CIEM users? I want to get some ideas on what people think of CIEMs in general as far as what genres benefit most from the added isolation, and from specific CIEMs' sound signatures. Thoughts?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,867 of 21,763
Quote:
How many people here are CIEM users? I want to get some ideas on what people think of CIEMs in general as far as what genres benefit most from the added isolation, and from specific CIEMs' sound signatures. Thoughts?

Any... of them? It's hard to say. There's some custom IEM available with almost any variety of sound signature you want.

A better place to start would be with the IEMs you've already tried that come closest to what you're looking for. And then check the reviews from average_joe and project86 -- each of them have a greater variety of customs than anybody I know.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,868 of 21,763
Quote:
How 'bout a Beats Audio Helmet?

http://gizmodo.com/5969436/beats-by-dre-headphones-are-going-in-helmets-now

Can't beat beats for protecting your head from beats.

These were designed for winter sports? Terrible idea, unless you all you do is snowboard in a half pipe. The last thing I'd want is to be deaf going down the mountain...and $330? How about no.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3,869 of 21,763
Do you have any issues using universals, CCS?  Do you need that extra isolation? 

^ Those should be your first two questions if you're considering a pair and only you can answer them.  Personally, although my FI-BA-SS and TG 334's probably image better than my ES5's (CIEM), the customs' soundstage often feels more coherent since the position of the drivers relative to my ear canal never changes.  That's the only SQ benefit I seem to get from the CIEM form factor and it's useful with any genre.  I have a lot of difficulty with tips, though; others may not and their universals may stay in place more easily.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3,870 of 21,763

Users who are viewing this thread

Back