The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 3, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #19,831 of 21,761
UGHHHHHHH. Just looking at that speedtest result makes me get all clawy.

These are my results. I'm on what is probably the country's fastest internet connections available to domestic / non business purposes, a copper coaxial cable network. I'm not complaining about the DL speed, but note that the upload speed on this connection (and all other internet providers in Australia) put a cap on maximum upload speeds.

It is honestly absurd that I have a connection that has a 70x ratio of download to upload.

For those who don't know, there's currently a political football being kicked in the form a National Broadband Network. This might provoke a bit of a political debate, but let me start by saying I have very mixed feelings about this entire issue.

The former Labor (centre-left) government proposed a national network of optical fibre to every household, the largest infrastructure investment in Australian history. The projected cost was something like $37 billion administered through a public company that would wholesale network access to private resellers. The targeted speed was something like 1000/1000 megabits.

Unfortunately the rollout of this network progressed rather dismally and the takeup right for free installation to households has been pretty dismal as well, 10-20%. As the NBN rolled down a street, residents were offered free installation to their premise, so it's honestly surprising how many people refused to be connected especially considering that a later installation would cost money and it would only add value to the house even if they chose not to use the connection.

The new incoming Liberal (centre-right) government, touting fiscal responsibility, has decided to limit the scope of the project to a fibre-to-the-node build out, where the final stretch from the street node to the premises will make use of the existing copper wire. This has a projected cost of $30 billion dollars for the taxpayer, but the result is that the projected speed will be 100 / ???? (~probably about 5/6 megabits upload) on a good day, and ongoing maintanence costs for the morbidund copper network that is slowly rotting away. Households that want a full fibre to the premise connection can pay a few thousand dollars (?) to get one.

Now the funny thing about this whole debate is how this is one of those public policy issues that is a microcosm for whole entire philosophies.

Proponents for a full fibre to the home NBN insist that there are multiplicative effects on the economy as a result of this capital investment that we can't really see or anticipate. To me this sounds like a good argument in theory, until I look at my own speedtest result and realise that we have had fast DL speeds available for years to households via the HFC network. We just do not have fast upload speeds. The entire proposed benefit of broadband internet is that productivity will increase because people can share content and transform their business practices, and yet clearly right now the demand for such upload bandwidth is so low that the private sector has put out feelers and decided that most households are happy with 100/1 internet connections. And if they are a business and they aren't happy, they can pay about $400-$1000 a month to get symmetric DSL business connections.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea that most people aren't really going to benefit from superfast download speeds. I don't see how it's a worthwhile investment to the national economy to enable people to download whole seasons of US TV shows faster (which is exactly what most of the 'faster internet is better' argument boils down to in the internet comments that pass for critical comment about this issue).

The more important part of the question is upload speeds. No one has actually ever been able to tell me why on earth the private sector in Australia doesn't provide faster upload speeds to consumers, and as far as I can tell it's just because no one wants them. I want faster upload very much for my Youtube uploads, but don't see how I will get return on investment on a $400 symmetric DSL connection. If I was making videos daily and I was pulling in ad revenue to a certain extent, then it would be sensible for me to get the business grade broadband and it would be a no-brainer. But I'm not and so it isn't. And the frustrating thing is there is no middle option. It's either 100/1 connections for $60-$100 a month or 10/10 connections for $400-$1000 a month. SOMEONE TELL ME WHY????

There is the argument that people do not know what they want until you give it to them, a very Steve Jobs / who will buy a phone with only one button?!?! argument. In this case the argument is that if you invest the nation's money in a high speed broadband network suddenly everyone's grandma will start uploading Youtube videos and 3D printing schematics and we will transform our economy, or something else will happen and collect underpants > ??? > profit.  While some part of my geeky nature agrees with this argument (I couldn't even envision how the internet would change things before it happened) at the same time another part of me finds it a little crazy to suggest that the majority of residential households would be prolific content producers if only they were given the opportunity in the form of massive government capital investment. I talk with many people. They do not use their home internet for anything productive. The majority of uploading they do every day is photos onto Facebook, and for that they (thankfully) have very high speed LTE uplink bandwith. Yes my phone gets more upload bandwidth than my home internet connection. Go figure.

Of course, to me it clearly makes more sense if you are going to spend the money, spend the extra $7 billion and get the best, since you are already spending $30 billion to get something pretty mediocre in comparison. This is the same thinking that I'm sure you are all familiar with whenever you consider buying the flagship headphone over the so-so mid-range option.

So on this issue, like so many others, I'm really not sure what to think.

** Actually, writing this post suddenly gave me an idea. I can use an unlimited prepaid data plans to upload videos over LTE. I shall work out this clever scheme posthaste.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #19,832 of 21,761

I too have mixed feelings about the NBN - mostly because I have not been convinced by the arguments as for the economic benefits vs the economic cost.  From the Australian government's report:

"• the ability to sell/market their products online with a greater use of graphics, 
high-definition video and other multi-media; 
• the potential for tools that enhance person-to-person visual communication to 
bring groups and individuals together; 
• profiling for television ads based on specific characteristics of the viewer’s own 
browsing and viewing habits as a new way to market products; 
• the use of Point of View video technology to enhance the online shopping 
experiences; and 
• the development of smart phone-like applications and products."

(full useless article here)

Teleworking is nonsense - the trend seems to be moving away from it.

Most of the above is nonsense.  When I think of uses of high bandwidth I think of real time high definition multimedia streaming. A better connection would increase the potential for higher definition streaming, mostly I'm thinking in terms of the uploads.  As a_recording points out the main problem is the upload speed, and the vast imbalance of the up/down bandwidth.  This is where i see the biggest utilisation of this bandwidth - content creation.  I don't see 3D printing as being a bandwidth hog though.

I could also imagine that cloud based services will be more viable on a fibre based connection.  Latency and bandwidth are both better on fibre which would make both existing cloud services more attractive, and also create potential for new cloud services. 

The best way to evaluate the NBN IMO would be to look at other countries/cities with better domestic internet like say SIngapore and Seoul from the top of my head.  Rather than making up really weak hypothetical mechanisms for economic benefit.  

Personally I think the Labour proposition was way too much capex; as mentioned very few people are taking up the connection to justify such a huge expenditure.  Speaking to people I know in Telstra most of the trend in internet usage seems to be more and more toward mobile based internet.  I guess at this point it's too late as the (altered) project is already going ahead.  I really don't think we will see any net economic benefit from these fairly marginal opportunities.  At least there will be less potential for the selective bandwidth nonsense going on in the US as the network infrastructure will be owned by the government.

The other thing that seems to be interestingly missing is the impact on internet speed made by the government's internet monitoring systems.  

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #19,834 of 21,761
A long time ago I read an article that talked about the proliferation of high-speed wireless in undeveloped countries. The point was that all the copper & fiber in the ground in the USA & Europe was actually hindering new technology infrastructure roll-outs. The undeveloped countries did not have that vast copper highway, so they were jumping directly to wireless because it was much cheaper to deploy. In the US, the economics still favored milking the existing copper instead of abandoning it and moving forward. I'm not sure I like the idea of the cell networks as the core communication infrastructure - at least not the cell networks around me!

On the other hand, the USA system of local monopolies for cable & phone companies simply sucks. I live on an island of AT&T, surrounded by large areas of Verizon. AT&T isn't going to spend any money upgrading our infrastructure. Cable is not much better - we are part of the former Adelphia cable system that was given to Time Warner after all the Adelphia fatcats were thrown in jail. Cable or phone, I still can't get any sort of fiber to my house. I bought my own Motorola cable modem because the 3 different modems I got from TWC would all randomly drop the connection every evening. This was a known problem with that model of modem, and TWC simply didn't give a cr@p. My Motorola instantly fixed the problem and has been running fine since then.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #19,835 of 21,761

Yes, I have both the Out and Pulse pre-ordered. AFAIK they aren't going to be released until next year. They've brought the GEEK Out to shows, however.

I've been on the fence with the Pulse... not sure if I should get it or not... It should not have a problem with my headphones (i.e. pairings) but for some reason I'm hesitant. I think I still have 10 days or so to decide so I guess I'll see...

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #19,838 of 21,761
One day I had a TWC tech at the house and he tried to upsell me to the next tier faster service. I told him that I had tried that when I first installed TWC and it wasn't actually any faster than the cheaper service. He argued with me, then he said: OK, I'll have them turn it up for a month for free, OK? I said, OK - go ahead. He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him the next week. So I did, he came back, and the download speed was exactly the same as the cheaper service. The upload speed had doubled - from dismal to just OK. He just said - "OK, you're right." :rolleyes:

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #19,839 of 21,761

60mb theroretical. Silly virgin media.

That said, it could be worse, internet connection seems to be very much a lucky draw in the UK. Sometimes you get a great connection, sometimes you get a terrible one. Mostly it's just ok. The place I lived at 2 years ago had excellent connection. The optic fibre cabinet for the area was only a few feet away and I pretty much got rock solid internet all day at the max speed. Still, the provided router was awful and we ended up buying one ourselves and then using ethernet cables all over the house.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #19,840 of 21,761
Crap here as well...

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #19,841 of 21,761
A long time ago I read an article that talked about the proliferation of high-speed wireless in undeveloped countries. The point was that all the copper & fiber in the ground in the USA & Europe was actually hindering new technology infrastructure roll-outs. The undeveloped countries did not have that vast copper highway, so they were jumping directly to wireless because it was much cheaper to deploy. In the US, the economics still favored milking the existing copper instead of abandoning it and moving forward. I'm not sure I like the idea of the cell networks as the core communication infrastructure - at least not the cell networks around me!

On the other hand, the USA system of local monopolies for cable & phone companies simply sucks. I live on an island of AT&T, surrounded by large areas of Verizon. AT&T isn't going to spend any money upgrading our infrastructure. Cable is not much better - we are part of the former Adelphia cable system that was given to Time Warner after all the Adelphia fatcats were thrown in jail. Cable or phone, I still can't get any sort of fiber to my house. I bought my own Motorola cable modem because the 3 different modems I got from TWC would all randomly drop the connection every evening. This was a known problem with that model of modem, and TWC simply didn't give a cr@p. My Motorola instantly fixed the problem and has been running fine since then.
They don't care enough to fix it because what were you going to do? Quick and go to another cable company??? pffft.

3142290526.png"

.... wow. Lol Internet at my work is sloooow.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #19,842 of 21,761
Dec 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #19,844 of 21,761
Well isn't this a fun little geek out?

Quote:

I could also imagine that cloud based services will be more viable on a fibre based connection.  Latency and bandwidth are both better on fibre which would make both existing cloud services more attractive, and also create potential for new cloud services. 

Definitely the cloud integration aspect makes higher UL speeds very attractive. The thing I don't understand is - why aren't these speeds already available? I'm on HFC cable here and as far as I understand, Telstra and Optus put a cap on upload speeds because at one point they didn't want everyone running bittorrent servers at home, since that was what everyone was using high upload speeds for.

That limitation seems silly nowadays.

What really bugs me about the NBN is that as part of the rollout, every home connected to the NBN must be disconnected from the HFC network. It's honestly pretty appalling anti-competitive behaviour just so that the government can get it's ROI on the NBN. That's my other issue with the NBN - the threat that the network will cost more simply because the government is replacing one monopoly with an even bigger one.

Quote:

Oh man, I feel bad for you DF. :/ It must be torture uploading your Youtube videos on that connection. Maybe you should start making shorter rants hehe.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #19,845 of 21,761
It's too bad we can't all have Riverbed WAN accelerators. When you have one of the Steelhead boxes on each end of your connection, it is freaking magic. Your WAN connection starts acting like a LAN connection. Unfortunately, Riverbed owns that market and they make you pay dearly for their intellectual property.

How often do you see this happen in a market segment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back