The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #18,092 of 21,763
Second week of classes here at RPI. My classes are, so far, pretty easy, but I must say that my econ class is one of the most interesting courses I've ever taken, courtesy of a very funny professor.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #18,093 of 21,763
  While we're talking about this stuff, I'm fairly addicted to caffeine and sugar and seldom do anything productive unless I at least have some ritalin in me (vivance or adderall are preferred).  I've never been diagnosed with ADD though since I probably don't have it (going off what I've seen of people who do) and because I almost never see doctors about things >_> .  Is it possible to be addicted to meat?  I want burgers any time I get stressed out.  It doesn't make any sense since eating a lot makes me feel like ****.  I also share a general thing addiction, I just love owning them. 

As far as other things go, it's never been very serious for me.  I used to like prescription pain pills during a somewhat messy period of my life, but never had a consistent supply of them (thank god) and, a few months ago, was into special brownies, but that was more "not like I'm doing anything else tonight," than "oh god I need one of these!"  I mean, I've had no issues not partaking as of late since I'm going to start looking for a new job soon.  I don't really get people who use it to be social or whatever; it always made me want to be alone and do, um, personal things.  My mother seems to run off it :/

When I was younger I use to smoke weed on a regular basis. It was even for recreational purposes. At that time it wasn't an issue. But later I got to the point where I did not feel comfortable at all being under the influence in public period. Just did not like how I'd feel. So I'm like you in that where I got to the point where I'd rather smoke to just unwind from a long day and relax. Haven't smoked in years though. But while I did I never let things go out of hand and always dealt with my responsibilities without it interfering. It's really the person in the end and not so much the drug. I never did try anything hardcore though. Decided I'd never go down that path after seeing many friends and even family completely destroyed by meth, heroin, etc. It's really sad to see people go through that but it was also a learning experience for me.

I'm not even much of a fan of alcohol. Never really liked the taste. One of my best friends died from liver sclerosis. He was only 32. The guy would drink to sober up. Had jaundice. Was in the process of quitting and turning his life over to God when it took him suddenly. It was really sad to watch him suffer. I think he was grieving over his wife and daughter (failed marriage). Always looking for happiness from the next bottle...

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #18,095 of 21,763
Finally got around to renting that the other day. Pretty big fan of Park and I thought it was great. Matthew Goode is just terrifyingly creepy, almost inhuman, reminding me of Michael Fassbender's David character from Prometheus.
Wanna get around to checkin out The Chaser as well, which is supposed to be another great Korean revenge flick

Hey thanks. I've been waiting to hear a review from any kind of real human source. I think I'll give this one a spin tonight.

......I now return you back to the Rehab Thread...........

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #18,096 of 21,763
Finally got around to renting that the other day. Pretty big fan of Park and I thought it was great. Matthew Goode is just terrifyingly creepy, almost inhuman, reminding me of Michael Fassbender's David character from Prometheus.
Wanna get around to checkin out The Chaser as well, which is supposed to be another great Korean revenge flick

I agree on Goode, but I thought Mia was really incredible too.

As a fan of Korean movies I heartily recommend the Chaser and also The Yellow Sea, a later movie from the same Director, which is just as good.

The best Korean revenge movie since Old Boy is I Saw the Devil. You MUST see it if you haven't already. I would also add Bedevilled also called Blood Island that I already mentioned.

Not Korean but from Hong Kong, I also recommend the excellent Mad Detective by Johnny To. One of the best movie depicting schizophrenia, at least in terms of esthetics.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #18,097 of 21,763

As a fan of Korean movies I heartily recommend the Chaser and also The Yellow Sea, a later movie from the same Director, which is just as good.

The best Korean revenge movie since Old Boy is I Saw the Devil. You MUST see it if you haven't already. I would also add Bedevilled also called Blood Island that I already mentioned.

Not Korean but from Hong Kong, I also recommend the excellent Mad Detective by Johnny To. One of the best movie depicting schizophrenia, at least in terms of esthetics.

I found I Saw The Devil to be a little less in suspense than Old Boy. A decent film none the less but Old Boy just takes the cake for mindbending mental twisting. I cannot fathom how americans think they can remake that one.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #18,100 of 21,763
From a conceptual standpoint, I think  The Matrix (1999) is the best movie ever made. I watched again last night, and it blew my mind how many questions it asked on the surface...and below. It could also easily pass as a political statement if you think about it.

My favorite line of the movie: "You think that's air you're breathing now?"

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #18,102 of 21,763

Thanks for the recs. I've seen The Yellow Sea mentioned in the same breath as The Chaser as well. I've seen I Saw the Devil. Pretty shocking film from Kim Ji-Woon. It's probably the most brutal film I've ever seen, and I'm not sure that I enjoyed it so much as I respected its uncompromising nature. It's one of those films that I don't think I can recommend to people nor would I ever want to rewatch it haha. I can totally respect it for its craft though. I think Kim went on to direct The Last Stand right? How the hell did he go from IStD to The Last Stand? At least Stoker made sense for Park :l

Oh and I agree in regards to Mia. I'd never seen her before and I was quite taken by her performance.

Edit: I've heard good things in regards to Oldboy! Kinda crazy I know. Spike may be a blowhard now, but he was also the guy who once directed Do the Last Thing. He had real talent at one point

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #18,103 of 21,763
From a conceptual standpoint, I think  The Matrix (1999) is the best movie ever made. I watched again last night, and it blew my mind how many questions it asked on the surface...and below. It could also easily pass as a political statement if you think about it.

Pretty good movie, the first one at least. But conceptually it does not go as far as good scifi books, not by a long shot, at least IMO.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #18,104 of 21,763
For all and any Park Chan Wook lovers ouy there, I just watched Stoker with my mom who is visiting us in China. Sublime movie esthetically.

I'm glad you saw that! Without giving anything away, what did you think of... that scene? You know the scene I am talking about. I think that has to be one of the most amazing sequences I've seen in a film. I was reading IMDB comments and apparently it made an audience member cry, which is interesting in itself.

Hmm. I felt David's character was creepy, but he didn't radiate the sickening feeling of barely sublimated violence like Matthew Goode. That thousand yard stare. I think if someone wanted to make a non black comedy version of American Psycho (though it would probably be near unwatchable) Matthew Goode would make an excellent choice.

Hey thanks. I've been waiting to hear a review from any kind of real human source. I think I'll give this one a spin tonight.

Hey! I posted about this movie many pages back. And I swear I'm a human source. Hmpf.
  I'm such a Sony fangirl.

Yeah we're squealing from the bleachers. Let's have Kaz Hirai's babies sqeeeeeee!

They will come out as black monolithic slabs. The PERFECT HUMAN FORM

I will check these out. I also really recommend "Mother" by Bong Joon-Ho. I am actually surprised at how restrained Park Chan Wook was in stoker (not too many crazy camera tricks but there were still quite a few). Bong Joon-Ho seems to have many of the same sensibilities (I absolutely love Park's way of shooting everything as flat tableau's, I have a thing for wide angles) but a little toned down. And Mother is a fantastic narrative.

I watched that again a few months back, and I remember feeling like the film felt oddly derivative. I was trying to work out why it felt that way, and I realised it felt derivative because of how many films it inspired afterwards that dealt with the same kinds of ideas in less theatrical ways. So the movie just reminded me of itself, which is a strange recursive experience.

-----

On the subject of addiction, the one thing that I know I am clearly addicted to is cycling through my bookmarks checking my favourite webpages for updates. I waste so much time doing that each day on my phone and my computer and I hate it. Yes, I know I could get an RSS feed to tell me when there is a new update but I feel like that has its own evils.

As far as anything else goes I know I have a bit of an addictive personality so I try to actively avoid anything that might lead to an addiction. For me this means avoiding any MMO's lol. Thankfully though, I have been armed with Jonathan Blow's wisdom when it comes to games and whenever I find myself playing any game compulsively I ask myself, "Am I enjoying this game because I am enjoying the gameplay or narrative or challenge, or am I enjoying this game because I enjoy making an arbitrary metric (money, score, etc) increase?"

That said it gets tricky sometimes, like in a game of Civilization where I get caught up in spinning out little narratives of national grudges and revenge. Which is why in Civ I generally play only One City Challenge to restrict my rapacious urges which are frankly exhausting.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #18,105 of 21,763
The holy trinity for me used to be a little "herb", 2 or 3 hydrocodone pills, and a  glass of either Jim Beam bourbon or Crown Royal rye whiskey, with an ice cold Coke or Pepsi on the side. A lovely way to drift away from the day's troubles....:atsmile:

I have fond memories of that type of thing despite having been completely sober for nearly six years now. Despite what they told my boss in AA meetings (so he says), I can think back on the fun I used to have back then without feeling like I want to go back to it.  Apparently the 12 day hospital stay I had (you guessed it, six years ago) was enough of a wake-up call to keep me clean. The one thing I certainly do not miss is smoking cigarettes, which I stopped doing at the same time. 

Due to my chronic physical pain problems (from RA and MS) my doc prescribes 3 blues a day, which I think is a little nutty, so I generally only take half that (same frequency, but on half-pills instead of whole).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back