The Denon Decision: Calling TIEMEN,SKYLAB,HEADPHONEADDICT,STANG,MARKL,MUSICMAN59 AND ALL ENTHUSIASTs
Jun 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

richbass

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Gurus,
Lets keep it simple and to the point.

I have Shure's SRH840 and going to get d4 mamba soon for my headphones. I am bored with the sound out of them and thus it is time for an upgrade. I have been reading around and i have found the following in my budget:

1) Denon 2k,5k and 7k
2) Beyerdynamic DT 150 or 990/880 600 ohm
3) Ultrasone Pro 900

I don't like the bass impact of shure's (little), soundstage and in SOME songs highs are piercing. If you want me to classify  it then i would say that they are ANALYTICAL/NEUTRAL/DRY/LIFELESS. I don't like cans like shure's which are boring, made for critical listening.
So, i guess now you know what kind of sound signature i would like :) FUN Cans with good bass :p

Type of Music i listen to ? Well i mostly listen to psychedelic trance, hip-hop, rap, RnB, Rock, Club and everything i like. It doesn't matter if its classical or jazz or acoustic.

A simple search "markl" or "d2000" returned more than 100 pages and i could not read all of them. But by reading most it is clear that people agree that modded D2k is similar to modded D7k.
I want to know everything about them from the GURUs and other fellow head-fi'ers who have done mods on their denon's as i am from India and don't have a chance of demo.

1) Buy LA2000/Lite or Buy D2K stock and modify them myself ?
2) Buy Denon AH-D5000 stock and mod them according to my taste later ?
3) LA2000/Lite/D5K modded vs D7K stock vs D7K modded?
4) Beyer Dynamic DT 150
5) Buy Ultrasone Pro 900

My Budget is $800 max.

I will be running them from Ipod 6G,Laptop and mamba for sometime.

I hope all the members and gurus help me decide whats best suited for me.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 83
Missing bass with the 840 ???? 
blink.gif

Pro 900, that thing has insane my-balls-are-bigger-than-yours-bass...or the Bose directly 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 83
Here's a link to headphoneaddict's review on the LA7000 where he seems to like them better than every closed headphone except for the R10.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/438255/review-lawton-audio-la7000-formerly-markl-mods-modded-denon-d7000 
For the same money you could also get an Ed 8, however, which I believe Skylab has deemed his favorite compared to most of those choices.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 83
I disagree but then again my pair has been kees modded and burned in excessively. 

Quote:
Pro 900, that thing has insane my-balls-are-bigger-than-yours-bass...or the Bose directly  
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 83
I have the la7000 and would say they would do well in the type of music you listen too. The mod does tighten up the bass and removes some of the flab (reverb). They arent sibilant  or analytical. They are quite well balanced and more on the fun side while having enough speed and resolution to bring out everything the music has to offer. the sound stage is small to medium size. I havent heard the LA5000/2000 so I dont know how those fair but the linked review ^ I think mentions it.

As far as the beyer 880/990 goes, the 880 tends to be more analytical and the 990 tends to be more fun due to its u shaped sound signature. That is also the case with the unmodded d2000/5000 also. The stock d7000 only has a slight dip in the middle region. I think the stock denon d7000 beats both of the beyers. My recommendation is if you are thinking going the modded denons than start by buying and burning in whatever model you decide on. The bass might be just right with the type of music you listen too and you can add the j$ pads if you want some more soundstage. If you then decide you want the bass tightened up you can always send them in.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 83
The 'Lite' modding of the D2000 / D5000 improves them greatly. Gone is the bloated bass and recessed mids. I have not heard the D7000, so I can not tell you how they compare, but having had the D5000, I'm very impressed by what the modding does for the overall sound.

If you like a rich, slightly warm sound, the D's are for you... but modded. The bass is now exceptional, and the lush tonality puts a nice 'acoustic' quality to instruments.
If you are looking for a more analytical and 'brilliant' sound, the DT880 / 600 ohm would be your cans. They go deep and are not lacking bass, but they do not have the impact of the D's.

The more I listen to the LA2000 Lites, the more I wish I could keep them...

shane

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to know everything about them from the GURUs and other fellow head-fi'ers who have done mods on their denons as i am from India and don't have a chance of demo.

1)Buy LA2000/Lite or Buy D2K stock and mode them myself ?
2)Buy Denon AH-D5000 stock and mod them according to my taste later ?
3)LA2000/Lite/D5K modded vs D7K stock vs LA7000 ?
4)Best moded Denon vs beyer's/ultrasone's ?

First of all let me state my experience. I picked up a pair of D5000s stock back in mid-November. I gradually modded those a little bit, getting Lawton Audio wood cups and J$ leather pads for them. Eventually, I decided the bass was too overpowering for my tastes at the volume I listened at (wasn't too bad at lower volumes), and decided to upgrade. I ordered a pair of LA7000 Lites from Mark with J$ pads instead of the stuffed stock pads, received them some time in May, and now have over 200 hours on them. I have listening experience with stock D2K, D5K and D7K, as well as APS V3 recabled D5Ks, and markl modded D2Ks and D5Ks, and obviously my own headphones mentioned above.

I can say without hesitation that the LA7000 Lites are by far the best headphones I've heard, and easily the most fun to listen to. They are not at all "sterile" or "analytical", although very detailed with a huge soundstage they are probably the most fun headphones I've heard, even more fun than my Grado HF-2s. They absolutely trounce my old partially modded D5Ks, as well as the markl'd D2K/D5Ks and all the stock Denons IMO. I haven't heard LA2000s but from what I hear they compare quite well with LA7000s, so if you're on a budget a pair of LA2000 Lites might be right up your alley.

The stock D7K had a hint more bass but a lot less highs than the LA7000s and lacked the fun factor of the LA7000 midrange, overall they just didn't stack up. Also, I would definitely have Mark do the mods on your cans. Despite his original methods being publically available, he has changed the mods quite a bit since he started up his business and the original thread hasn't been completely updated.

If you want detailed comparisons between the cans PM me, I'm too lazy to type it all up right now.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 83

Quote:
First of all let me state my experience. I picked up a pair of D5000s stock back in mid-November. I gradually modded those a little bit, getting Lawton Audio wood cups and J$ leather pads for them. Eventually, I decided the bass was too overpowering for my tastes at the volume I listened at (wasn't too bad at lower volumes), and decided to upgrade. I ordered a pair of LA7000 Lites from Mark with J$ pads instead of the stuffed stock pads, received them some time in May, and now have over 200 hours on them. I have listening experience with stock D2K, D5K and D7K, as well as APS V3 recabled D5Ks, and markl modded D2Ks and D5Ks, and obviously my own headphones mentioned above.

I can say without hesitation that the LA7000 Lites are by far the best headphones I've heard, and easily the most fun to listen to. They are not at all "sterile" or "analytical", although very detailed with a huge soundstage they are probably the most fun headphones I've heard, even more fun than my Grado HF-2s. They absolutely trounce my old partially modded D5Ks, as well as the markl'd D2K/D5Ks and all the stock Denons IMO. I haven't heard LA2000s but from what I hear they compare quite well with LA7000s, so if you're on a budget a pair of LA2000 Lites might be right up your alley.

The stock D7K had a hint more bass but a lot less highs than the LA7000s and lacked the fun factor of the LA7000 midrange, overall they just didn't stack up. Also, I would definitely have Mark do the mods on your cans. Despite his original methods being publically available, he has changed the mods quite a bit since he started up his business and the original thread hasn't been completely updated.

If you want detailed comparisons between the cans PM me, I'm too lazy to type it all up right now.

Thanks for replying buddy. PM'd you.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 83
I'm not clear if you think the Shures have too much bass, or too little. I can't really answer the question without knowing that. I also would like clarification on your budget, if possible.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 83
I didn't really want to start a new thread, but I am also looking at some Denon's. Specifically, looking at the difference between the D7000's and JVC DX1000's. There are a few used pairs on the FS forums, and was not looking to pay more than $650 (excluding shipping). I tried a search, but nothing came up (must have not tried hard enough), because, IIRC, you (Skylab) had a thread comparing the two. Or, is there another headphone with similar characteristics to the D7000's? They're hard to find new for less than their RRP, and Amazon does not ship electronics to Australia.

Thanks

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 83
So then I would go for the Denon D7000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back