The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Nov 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,652 of 2,112
If I recall correctly the old lucid mode was originally intended for use with speakers and so the effect with the lower impedance LCD-X should be closer to what was originally intended. I'm not sure that would be an improvement given that new lucid mode was intended for LCD-2's.

I do use the old lucid mode with my LCD-2's occasionally, it gives me a bit of space when things get little closed in.

On another topic, I've had a Metrum Octave Mk2 DAC ever since I've had my Taboo but it hasn't been my preferred DAC with headphones. That changed yesterday when I listened to my newly acquired Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs. With the Chord they sounded good and very pleasant to listen to but they weren't quiet up to the level that my HD800's or even my HD600's were capable of. With the Metrum Octave it was a different story and somewhat to my surprise the Alpha Dogs comfortably surpassed what the Senns on most of the material I listened to.

I haven't yet compared the LCD-2's with the Alpha Dogs.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,653 of 2,112

Even with stock tubes, taboo mkIII did better in the bass department, punchier and a touch more impact.  For a tube amp, the Taboo gave the HE500 a more lively sound signature in comparison to WA22.  Planar HPs do work great with speaker amps which the taboo originated from.  To my ears, WA22 is better at driving dynamic HPs though.  The HD800/WA22 is a deadly addicted combo.  Not so with HE500/WA22.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,654 of 2,112
Steve explained in his (Decware) thread about the Taboo III that the re-design came about because he bought an LCD2 and felt he could do much better than the standard lucid mode with this phone.

To be honest, I read that too and when I got the taboo home and switched the new lucid mode on, I said to myself "wth anyone would do something like this?  to me it was beyond screwing around with the sound stage/music"  The original lucid mode however is good sometimes for opening up certain tracks.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,655 of 2,112
^ I gotta get those pig-tails built, which would give my (2011-build) Taboo II the option of lucid vs stereo. Then I can compare more directly than the Taboo versus Amp X or Y approach.

TBH I did ponder what motivated development of new-lucid. The balanced HP out had me much more interested...

But after a lot of thought I decided to gamble the Taboo II would only be minimally bettered by the III's new lucid mode, beeswax caps, balanced out and change of signal tube. And well - it's close to two years I've had the II and I'm still at least pleased every time I listen to it and often just blown away. I think that speaks to it being a great basic design, no matter which model one has...

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,656 of 2,112
Indeed!  I had Taboo MKII (VCaps) but sold it to pursue what the portable world had to offer.  Now I have the MKIII.  I can't say the MKIII blows the MKII out of the water.  Definitely more features in MKIII but MKII was a solid performer such that MKII owners should not feel the need to upgrade.  At least that's my opinion based on audio memory.  I'd have to hear both again side by side to do a proper review.  However, tonally, the MKIII has not diverged from the Decware house sound.   

Quote:
^ I gotta get those pig-tails built, which would give my (2011-build) Taboo II the option of lucid vs stereo. Then I can compare more directly than the Taboo versus Amp X or Y approach.

TBH I did ponder what motivated development of new-lucid. The balanced HP out had me much more interested...

But after a lot of thought I decided to gamble the Taboo II would only be minimally bettered by the III's new lucid mode, beeswax caps, balanced out and change of signal tube. And well - it's close to two years I've had the II and I'm still at least pleased every time I listen to it and often just blown away. I think that speaks to it being a great basic design, no matter which model one has...

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,657 of 2,112
Cheers WNBC. I hear you on the measurement side. But that's good to know :beerchug:

(Side note: I'm not quite convinced audio memory is as poor as some assert. Given how memory is currently modelled, the real question is how reliably a given audiophile brain translates a given audio stimulus to "this sounds like audiophile term x"., e.g. "dry!". Words are easy to remember. But this is not for this thread and probably not for head-fi!).

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,658 of 2,112
AiDee, WNBC

I also have the MKII and am very happy with it, although I've not heard a MKIII. One thing my MKII has that the III doesn't is a choke in the power supply.
Because of the meters, there's no room for the choke. This leads me to believe that the MKII is potentially 'better' than the MKIII. The MKIII has more
'gee whiz' features, but for me, the MKII is just fine.

I've upgraded mine with beeswax cap's, Cardas input wire, a Goldpoint stepped attenuator, and Takman input resistors, and drive it from a CSP2+.
I have to agree with AiDee that it never disappoints, and many times amazes, so I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #1,659 of 2,112
FYI, the "choke" in the Taboo II is an output transformer.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,662 of 2,112
I know everyone has pretty much seen this duo before but I figured I would upload some photos anyway. 
The woods do look different, as you can see the CSP3 is has some lighter tones. Honestly it doesn't bother me as much
as I thought it would both are gorgeous in their own way and I'm fine with that. 

As for the sound I'm still experimenting with tube combinations but I definitely like the combination.
I pretty much agree with what has been said already, extra body and weight with a little less transparency.
Overall I feel the decrease in transparency is worth it, especially with speakers.
The DM945's sound much fuller and the extra gain goes a long way when playing quieter tracks, Led Zeppelin I for example.

I have my output knobs at the 7th level, out of 11. For headphones it could probably be at 6 but 7 lets me keep
it the same while listening to headphones and speakers, I only have to rotate the volume knob to an adequate level. 

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have only had success with the stock tubes in the left and right output positions.
Between the input and rectifier tubes however I should be kept pretty busy. 

I would highly recommend the CSP3 for anyone with the Taboo. It just brings alot to the table and adds alot of options
and flexibility to an already fantastic system.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,663 of 2,112
The DM945's are excellent with that combo! Nice!

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,664 of 2,112
Sweet rig there.  

For volumes I've been keeping the Taboo at full power and CSP3 volume between 9-12 o'clock with the output tubes at 75% power.  Seems to be my sweet spot.  

I probably will get speakers in several months to a year when I move to a house.  I probably will return to the Blumenstein's again and maybe throw in their sub as well.  Stick a fork in me please.

Tubes are trickier with 2 amps.  I am still figuring it out.  Mostly using stock tubes except for a RCA 5U4G in the Taboo and Mazda 5Y3GB in CSP3.  I suppose I could end the madness with several safe picks.  Throw in some EML 5U4Gs in both amps and outfit them with all modern Genalex Gold Lion EL84s and 6922s.  But that would be too easy and boring 
wink.gif

Quote:
  As for the sound I'm still experimenting with tube combinations but I definitely like the combination.
I pretty much agree with what has been said already, extra body and weight with a little less transparency.
Overall I feel the decrease in transparency is worth it, especially with speakers.
The DM945's sound much fuller and the extra gain goes a long way when playing quieter tracks, Led Zeppelin I for example.

I have my output knobs at the 7th level, out of 11. For headphones it could probably be at 6 but 7 lets me keep
it the same while listening to headphones and speakers, I only have to rotate the volume knob to an adequate level. 

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have only had success with the stock tubes in the left and right output positions.
Between the input and rectifier tubes however I should be kept pretty busy. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,665 of 2,112
Hey guys, did anybody try the LCD-X with taboo MK3? If yes, what do you think of the combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back