The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #963 of 2,115
I haven't yet but I think I'll be OK.  The Taboo 3 manual says...

"the input stage is compatible with 6922,7308 and some 6DJ8 or 6N1P-EV."

Right now I have a Brimar ECC88 and it works fine. 

I guess I should let the new rectifier burn in on the amp before I swap out the input tube or else I will have no control sample.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #964 of 2,115
My Taboo has just entered the Shipping Department, but I notice orders seem to have been lingering there the last few weeks for some reason.
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #965 of 2,115
The list has been ticking along nicely recently I think. I'm on page 2 now, with only two Taboos above mine waiting to get started. Won't be much longer I hope!

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #966 of 2,115
Quote:
My Taboo has just entered the Shipping Department, but I notice orders seem to have been lingering there the last few weeks for some reason.
frown.gif

Sarah,was on maternity leave,and the whole shop was backed up,including shipping
According to Devon,Sarah kind of keeps things flowing there..so??

Enjoy you new Taboo...

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #967 of 2,115
The Taboo mkiii takes 6922/6N1P.

Aha! Somehow I missed this. MKIII has been converted to use 6922 types, eh? Very interesting.

Now I really have to hear one and compare against the CSP2+ since I can use the same signal & rectifier tubes. Very cool.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #968 of 2,115
^ Yeah Steve explained quite a lot of his changes in the new Taboo thread over in the Decware forums. IIRC he felt the 6922 would be better quality than the ECC. May have had something to do with helping increase the gain too???

Probably safer to have compatible driver tubes...I just know one of these days I'm going to put the wrong tube in the Taboo II or CSP2 :eek:

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #969 of 2,115
Quote:
Rectifier question.

. . . . What's weird (and concerning) is that the bias meters are going a little crazy with that tube in there, varying from 25 to 37 on the meter along with the CD.  When the Valve Art was in it was always a steady ~30ish.  Is this a problem?

Thanks!

P.S.  I should add it only happens with the Stereophile CD break-in noise track.  The bias meters are steady on music tracks.

According to what Steve D told me, when the meters are "dancing" up and down it means the output of the amp is nearing clipping. When the meters drop, like a rock, to "0" you are clipping the amp. When they remain rock solid you are within the acceptable operating zone of the amp's 4.5 watt output. If memory serves, this  info was also given by Steve either in a post on the Decware forums or in one of the videos he made about how the amps with the new meters are tested (there are at least 2 such videos on the Decware site and YouTube which refer to the SE34I.3 "Rachael" and Taboo III).

Also, different rectifiers have different voltage drops (which do affect the overall sound) and which may (or may not) have something to do with the meters dancing about. I have substituted the Valve Art 274B, Philips 5R4GYS and one Chinese 5U4G with no change in the meters rock steady performance on my Omega 3Es which are 8 ohm, 94db speakers. Since I use a nearfield desktop setup, I rarely have need to turn the volume up past 12 o'clock with my CSP+/Taboo III/Omega 3E setup. No doubt, speakers with less than 94db efficiency (the minimum recommended for the Taboo III by Steve) could also have a bearing on the issue as they will require more power. I can certainly see how a "Stereophile CD break-in noise track" might cause the meter dancing you describe. I wouldn't worry about it, just lower the volume. BTW, Steve simply recommends playing music for the break-in: 5 hours on, 5 hours off  for 5 cycles.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #970 of 2,115
Good news from the mailman today, with a pair of these. Will be posting impressions a bit later.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #972 of 2,115
Quote:
Very nice.  Look like NOS 6DJ8/6922.  Don't recognize the logo.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a 6922. I am comparing it to the stock tube, compiling impressions and will be posting them shortly.
Meanwhile let's see if anyone recognizes it from that shaky phone pic. :) 

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #975 of 2,115

Quote:
Amperex SQ ??

Quote:
Could be wrong, but it looks like PQ. 

Yes, it is an Amperex 6922 PQ. There is a little more to it, but it may be difficult to spot that in the picture & it's only if you somehow know what to look for. (This was a tip by the way). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back