The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #976 of 2,115
Quote:

Yes, it is an Amperex 6922 PQ. There is a little more to it, but it may be difficult to spot that in the picture & it's only if you somehow know what to look for. (This was a tip by the way). :)

Where did you get that?!  Pinch waist?

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #977 of 2,115
Quote:
Where did you get that?!  Pinch waist?

That's them. I looked for one for many months. And eventually I found not one but two, for a fair price. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #979 of 2,115
Quote:

That's them. I looked for one for many months. And eventually I found not one but two, for a fair price. 

Grats.  I look forward to your impressions.  I went with Orange Globes because even if I could get my hand on a set of white labels, or even better pinch waists, I don't know what I'd do if/when they go bad.  I'm hoping Orange Globes continue to be pretty easy to find, and relatively inexpensive.  It's great that you got a fair deal.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #980 of 2,115
Quote:
I saw a pair sell on ebay for 600 dollars a few months ago.

I know. I guess I was very lucky with what I got them for. I'd never be able to justify that kind of price.

Grats.  I look forward to your impressions.  I went with Orange Globes because even if I could get my hand on a set of white labels, or even better pinch waists, I don't know what I'd do if/when they go bad.  I'm hoping Orange Globes continue to be pretty easy to find, and relatively inexpensive.  It's great that you got a fair deal.

I have one Orange Globes. It was my previous go to tube. Very good tube.
Almost there with the summary of impressions.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #981 of 2,115
Quote:
Almost there with the summary of impressions.

popcorn.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #982 of 2,115
Introduction:
This is the Amperex 6922, PQ, Made in USA, pinched waist. Has shield and D getter. Stamped 907, which to my rough guesswork puts it between mid-1958 and early 1959. I've been on the hunt for one of these for many months now and as you may know they are an extremely rare find. When they do pop they are also extremely expensive, but I so happened to come accross a great deal on this pair. Was it worth it? Let's see.

Traits:
- Best treble extension and spark I've ever heard in a 6922. Very natural reproduction of percussive instruments. Top shelf level of details, yet no grain or harshness. No hint of sibilance.
- Extremely detailed
- Superbly open 3d soundstage
- Very controlled and yet deep punchy bass
- Exceptional dynamics
- Very airy with superb instrument separation
- Clean and inviting mids

Cons:
- very rare
- cost. can go extremely expensive thanks to sharks and people with more money than me
- what do you do when it's eventually going to go out. Haven't figured out the answer to this one yet.

Summary:
What this tube manages to achieve is impecable technical abilities, while never sounding analytic. I would describe it as refined, very lively, dynamic, superbly extended at both ends and transparent. I have to admit the hype for this tube is justified. It's the best 6DJ8/6922 I have ever heard.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #983 of 2,115
Quote:
Introduction:
This is the Amperex 6922, PQ, Made in USA, pinched waist. Has shield and D getter. Stamped 907, which to my rough guesswork puts it between mid-1958 and early 1959. I've been on the hunt for one of these for many months now and as you may know they are an extremely rare find. When they do pop they are also extremely expensive, but I so happened to come accross a great deal on this pair. Was it worth it? Let's see.

Traits:
- Best treble extension and spark I've ever heard in a 6922. Very natural reproduction of percussive instruments. Top shelf level of details, yet no grain or harshness. No hint of sibilance.
- Extremely detailed
- Superbly open 3d soundstage
- Very controlled and yet deep punchy bass
- Exceptional dynamics
- Very airy with superb instrument separation
- Clean and inviting mids

Cons:
- very rare
- cost. can go extremely expensive thanks to sharks and people with more money than me
- what do you do when it's eventually going to go out. Haven't figured out the answer to this one yet.

Summary:
What this tube manages to achieve is impecable technical abilities, while never sounding analytic. I would describe it as refined, very lively, dynamic, superbly extended at both ends and transparent. I have to admit the hype for this tube is justified. It's the best 6DJ8/6922 I have ever heard.

Well, I've read similar reviews so I'm not surprised to see you're having similar experiences on the Taboo.  Just wish these tubes weren't so darned rare.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #984 of 2,115
Rectifiers next, but will take me longer to complete comparing and post findings.

USAF-596
GEC/Marconi U52
Brimar 5R4GY
Valve Art 274B
RCA 5Y3 GT (on the way)

The stock output tubes are growing on me quite a lot, any suggestions of what may work better? I only have a pair of Amperex EL84 at the moment and the Russian 6P15P-ER (the special long life edition, gold plates). The latter however are new and in dire need of burn-in which isn't a priority for me yet.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #985 of 2,115
Quote:
Rectifiers next, but will take me longer to compare and post findings.

USAF-596
GEC/Marconi U52
Brimar 5R4GY
Valve Art 274B
RCA 5Y3 GT (on the way)

The stock output tubes are growing on me quite a lot, any suggestions of what may work better? I only have a pair of Amperex EL84 at the moment and the Russian 6P15P-ER (the special long life edition, gold plates).

I very much like Philips EL84's.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #986 of 2,115
Jul 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #987 of 2,115
Quote:

How would you describe them in summary compared to the 6p15p

Better bass.  With the combination of Philips 5R4GYS and Amperex Orange Globe, I felt like the only thing "off" was that I felt like I could get more bass slam out of my LCD-3's.  The EL84's did the trick.  They're really good, strong tubes.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #988 of 2,115
Quote:
Better bass.  With the combination of Philips 5R4GYS and Amperex Orange Globe, I felt like the only thing "off" was that I felt like I could get more bass slam out of my LCD-3's.  The EL84's did the trick.  They're really good, strong tubes.

I was very pleased with the Taboo in terms of bass slam to begin with. I have actually ended up with too much bass a couple of days ago for my liking on the LCD-3s. And that's with the 6p15p. I am currently detuning some bass out of my system. I was previously using the Oyaide 2075RR RCAs (OCC copper). Man are those cables bass monsters or what. Swapped them with Morrow RCAs which are more evenly distributed accross the range.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #989 of 2,115
Quote:

I was very pleased with the Taboo in terms of bass slam to begin with. I have actually ended up with too much bass a couple of days ago for my liking on the LCD-3s. And that's with the 6p15p. I am currently detuning some bass out of my system. I was previously using the Oyaide 2075RR RCAs (OCC copper). Man are those cables bass monsters or what. Swapped them with Morrow RCAs which are more evenly distributed accross the range.

I think Steve did a really good job at picking tubes for the new Taboo that sound really, really good and aren't terribly expensive and hard to find.  I think in the end all I've done is given my system a bit more balance, and better extension up top and down low.  I think if I put the stock rectifier back in, the Philips EL84's might be a bit much down low though.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #990 of 2,115
Quote:
I think Steve did a really good job at picking tubes for the new Taboo that sound really, really good and aren't terribly expensive and hard to find.  I think in the end all I've done is given my system a bit more balance, and better extension up top and down low.  I think if I put the stock rectifier back in, the Philips EL84's might be a bit much down low though.

Ditto. I am impressed with the stock selection, even more so considering the cost. 

The 6922 pinched waist just gave me a fresh perspective on my rectifiers. It's also a very good benchmark tube, being so detailed and transparent. Enjoying the Brimar at the moment and temporarily swapped out the USAF-596.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back