The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #946 of 2,112
Hey guys,

Thank you for the answers. And Negura....you are killing me.. :)) . After I get my LCD3 I hope i get my hands on a Taboo too.

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #947 of 2,112
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you for the answers. And Negura....you are killing me..
smily_headphones1.gif
) . After I get my LCD3 I hope i get my hands on a Taboo too.

You're welcomed bro. :) Sorry for your wallet.

Gang, once I figure out how much burn-in the Taboo needs, I've got a few NOS goodies in a box to swap around. Keep you all posted.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #948 of 2,112
Rectifier question.

Based upon Nick's recommendation I swapped the Valve Art 274B rectifier for a NOS 5Y3GB Mazda(5Y3GT) I bought on ebay.  I am breaking it in now and it sounds pretty good.  What's weird (and concerning) is that the bias meters are going a little crazy with that tube in there, varying from 25 to 37 on the meter along with the CD.  When the Valve Art was in it was always a steady ~30ish.  Is this a problem?

Thanks!

P.S.  I should add it only happens with the Stereophile CD break-in noise track.  The bias meters are steady on music tracks.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #949 of 2,112
Quote:
Rectifier question.

Based upon Nick's recommendation I swapped the Valve Art 274B rectifier for a NOS 5Y3GB Mazda(5Y3GT) I bought on ebay.  I am breaking it in now and it sounds pretty good.  What's weird (and concerning) is that the bias meters are going a little crazy with that tube in there, varying from 25 to 37 on the meter along with the CD.  When the Valve Art was in it was always a steady ~30ish.  Is this a problem?

Thanks!

P.S.  I should add it only happens with the Stereophile CD break-in noise track.  The bias meters are steady on music tracks.

IH,
Did you oreder the French Military vesrion
Mine came in yesterday,& I'm using it with the TabooII
I'm finding it pretty good,but it sure does run HOT

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #952 of 2,112
Weird. With my rectifier (Philips 5R4GYS) the bias meters are rock solid at around 32-ish. I had similar readings with the stock tubes, though one tube was a little, tiny bit weaker than the other.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #953 of 2,112
Jul 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #954 of 2,112
Quote:
IH,
Another recommendation from Nick:

http://www.nostubestore.com/2010/06/rca-5y3gt-black-plates.html?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Thunderous base,clean sound,excellent detail/price...nice seoeration of instruments
The seller is outstanding,..quick replies,and fast shipping,answered all of my e-mails within 24 hours
These are NOS tubes...

Yep.... that RCA 5Y3GT is a great, cheap, reasonably available rectifier for the Taboo or CSP. Have a look at my "Rectifier Rolling Roundup" back in this thread... it did quite well considering the competition:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655788/the-decware-taboo-mk-111-appreciation-thread/780#post_9569043

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #955 of 2,112
Quote:

Yep.... that RCA 5Y3GT is a great, cheap, reasonably available rectifier for the Taboo or CSP. Have a look at my "Rectifier Rolling Roundup" back in this thread... it did quite well considering the competition:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655788/the-decware-taboo-mk-111-appreciation-thread/780#post_9569043

Nick,

I have been buying tubes on ebay based upon your recommendations.  I have a RCA 5Y3GT coming in the mail.

Thanks for the help.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #956 of 2,112
Nick,
It's the new BIble..nice work,great review ,& your descriptions are right on the money.

Tnx

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #957 of 2,112
Thanks everyone. Cheat sheets like the RRR can help you "start at the top", but it can also be rewarding to pick up a handful of cheap tubes and learn as you go. Besides, not everyone might agree with my list.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #958 of 2,112
CSP2+ Tube Rolling.

Just found about 6 CV2493's in my NOS tube box.  I had forgotten about them and actually had to look them.  They are Mullard gold pins Milspec tubes.  I guess I bought them about 12 years ago, I think from Upscale Audio and they sound pretty good in the CSP2+.

Anyone have any experience with them??

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Mullard-CV2493-%7B47%7D-6922.html

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #959 of 2,112
Quote:
CSP2+ Tube Rolling.

Just found about 6 CV2493's in my NOS tube box.  I had forgotten about them and actually had to look them.  They are Mullard gold pins Milspec tubes.  I guess I bought them about 12 years ago, I think from Upscale Audio and they sound pretty good in the CSP2+.

Anyone have any experience with them??

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Mullard-CV2493-%7B47%7D-6922.html

I bought 2 pair ,when I had the Lyr.,about a year ago,when I was in the grips of "Tubitis"
They were made for the Swedish Airforce-brand new,ran me $400.00 for both pair
My 2nd favorite tube,second only to the Lorenz Stuttgarts.

Hold on to them...they are an outstanding tube,& will increase in value
Very nice find.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #960 of 2,112
Quote:
I bought 2 pair ,when I had the Lyr.,about a year ago,when I was in the grips of "Tubitis"
They were made for the Swedish Airforce-brand new,ran me $400.00 for both pair
My 2nd favorite tube,second only to the Lorenz Stuttgarts.

Hold on to them...they are an outstanding tube,& will increase in value
Very nice find.

Thanks Mike.  I will keep them.  I don't even remember for sure why I bought them.  I think it was for my Sonic Frontiers Line Stage but I never used them.  Maybe I'll try one in the Taboo too.  The need to break-in some but they are very detailed and musical, maybe a tough brighter than I like but I am hoping that the top will smooth out some over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back