The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #871 of 2,112
How often do you use your RS1 with the Taboo?  I'm thinking of picking up the Grado 325 but wondering if I have one Grado should I spring for the higher model.  325 would have the edgier treble and RS1 smoother?

Quote:
Whoa WNBC! Don't put 12xx7 tubes in the T3! Not the same tube family at all. Termination could result
eek.gif

Actually just playing on the name a bit - I don't know it would harm the T3 but I don't imagine 12v tubes run in place of 6v tubes would sound entirely right.

You are lucky having those Lyr tubes - I forgot I'd seen you in that thread!

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #872 of 2,112
Almost never - the LCD2 (and T1 on the CSP2) are simply better. But gotta admit the RS1 sounds good with the Taboo, especially with Lucid. Ask Nick Dangerous - he's into the combo.

I never heard the 325. Have a 7-8 year old SR60 which I haven't tried with Taboo, which the RS1 (not surprisingly) leaves for dead. OTOH my son's SR125i sounds much better than I expected. May make the 325 worth auditioning.

I actually have found the RS1 terrific straight from an iPod when I'm away. Maybe I'm being less critical in these conditions, but that live, direct, raw (probably distortion :D) feel comes through.

How often do you use your RS1 with the Taboo?  I'm thinking of picking up the Grado 325 but wondering if I have one Grado should I spring for the higher model.  325 would have the edgier treble and RS1 smoother?

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #873 of 2,112
Thanks for the input!  325i appears to be a good compromise between price-to-performance.

Too many headphones out there I want to try with the Taboo but gotta be a little selective.  With the MKII I had the HE-500.  Had the LCD-2 with the Lyr.  Now wondering how good the LCD-2 is on the Taboo or thinking of trying something different like the LCD-3 or HD800.   Too many choices.

Quote:
Almost never - the LCD2 (and T1 on the CSP2) are simply better. But gotta admit the RS1 sounds good with the Taboo, especially with Lucid. Ask Nick Dangerous - he's into the combo.

I never heard the 325. Have a 7-8 year old SR60 which I haven't tried with Taboo, which the RS1 (not surprisingly) leaves for dead. OTOH my son's SR125i sounds much better than I expected. May make the 325 worth auditioning.

I actually have found the RS1 terrific straight from an iPod when I'm away. Maybe I'm being less critical in these conditions, but that live, direct, raw (probably distortion
biggrin.gif
) feel comes through.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #874 of 2,112
I found the LCD 2 on the mkII a big step up from the Lyr and all the other amps I tried. Generally (varied by amp) I got better highs, taut bass and notably better dynamics - almost as if it is decompressing. Detail was better too - probably an effect of the better macro and micro dynamics. However, these comparisons were without anything like the best tubes in the Lyr.

I'm curious about the HE500 myself...you liked this with the mkII?

I hear you about too many choices! I've decided to get the LCD 3 and, of course, very likely the ciunas dac.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #875 of 2,112
Good to know.  I liked the LCD-2 on the Lyr so for it to scale up even more on the Taboo is a bonus.  Makes me think I need to hear different headphones before buying which is different then my usual buy/sell pattern.  Could save me a bunch of money if I end up shooting for price to performance vs flagship (LCD-2 vs LCD-3).  

I really enjoyed the Taboo + DAC-2 + HE-500.   Taboo provided ample low end punch, palpable sweet midrange and for me an enjoyable tonality.  I am a moderately loud jazz listener and I often found myself pegged to the max on the volume for the Taboo MKII.  I probably could have benefited from a preamp like the CSP2+.  Now with the MKIII with less power I definitely would need a preamp.  I think low to moderate volume listeners will be fine but I can't imagine there will be a lot of headroom.  I found the HE-500 to sound best when being driven by a vintage amp and it's probably not all about power but it has a lot to do with it.  In the end there is room for both SS and tube amplification when it comes to the orthos.  The new lucid mode might help with the imaging and increasing the depth of the soundstage, which are weakpoints of underpowered HE-500 or maybe any headphone for that matter.     

Quote:
I found the LCD 2 on the mkII a big step up from the Lyr and all the other amps I tried. Generally (varied by amp) I got better highs, taut bass and notably better dynamics - almost as if it is decompressing. Detail was better too - probably an effect of the better macro and micro dynamics. However, these comparisons were without anything like the best tubes in the Lyr.

I'm curious about the HE500 myself...you liked this with the mkII?

I hear you about too many choices! I've decided to get the LCD 3 and, of course, very likely the ciunas dac.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #876 of 2,112
^ That's really helpful WNBC, thanks :beerchug:

Agreed about room for SS too. Have been curious about vintage amps, hesitant to try my main power amp (250/8!), and on the headamp side have found the 2W Meier Classic gets real close to the the mk II.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #877 of 2,112
Quote:
But gotta admit the RS1 sounds good with the Taboo, especially with Lucid. Ask Nick Dangerous - he's into the combo.

Taboo + Grado = very fine combo! Lucid mode is perfect for expanding the pea-sized Grado soundstage which truly brings them to another level. It's actually my favorite amp to use with Grados.

However... the main issue is component matching. Most people who spring for a Taboo usually get an LCD2/3 to pair with it. Which is probably why the Taboo + Grado combination isn't so commonly known.

I can't stand the Grado 325. It's ear-bleedingly bright. Instant tinnitus. No thank you. I'd stick with the SR-225i which is the best price/performance headphone in their lineup. It gets you 85% of the way to the RS-1.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #878 of 2,112
My 325is did not like the stock tubes in the Taboo MKIII, will need to try them with the tubes I have been rollin' through...

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #879 of 2,112
Good to know.  Thanks for the info.  85% of the way there with the 225i.  Problem is....shouldn't my first Grado be a woodie one 
tongue.gif
 which means RS1 all the way 
gs1000.gif

Quote:

Taboo + Grado = very fine combo! Lucid mode is perfect for expanding the pea-sized Grado soundstage which truly brings them to another level. It's actually my favorite amp to use with Grados.

However... the main issue is component matching. Most people who spring for a Taboo usually get an LCD2/3 to pair with it. Which is probably why the Taboo + Grado combination isn't so commonly known.

I can't stand the Grado 325. It's ear-bleedingly bright. Instant tinnitus. No thank you. I'd stick with the SR-225i which is the best price/performance headphone in their lineup. It gets you 85% of the way to the RS-1.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #880 of 2,112
Hi everyone...

I've deleted the post that was here since it was so miss-understood.   I've been doing this a long time.  I question everything.  Sorry for the disturbance!

Steve Deckert

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #881 of 2,112
Clarify some of Steve  findings on the amp  Steve never sent me his personal amp he sent me the first production model which I found that the V200 outperformed it it in every way. The Maple unit was not Steve personal amp his is an white face amplifier with a Walnut base. I am enclosing the frrst production amp he sent me which clearly did not sound good and was returned. Steve called me and said he went to the bench and tested some other amps and agreed  and found that resistor installed was wrong and the amps were muddy. He stated they had 100ohm resistors and should have had 1 ohm resisitors.     Eric Nuff seen Steve production amp and it was clearly not the Maple one I was sent. Why Steve is confused about this has me bewildered.

I found the WooWA5 300B and Dared 2A3 amps to fit my needs better and if Steve want to attack  me personally thats fine. I find most of this amusing because I decided that other products were better for my needs this whole transaction has been falsely stated..  Clearly I am not the one suffering from amnesia regarding all that transpired with the original amplifier. See the maple picture. THIS is the first amp I received and sent back because it was not right. I was told the resistor were wrong an have emails to prove it.  Here is the amp Steve sent me and only sent me after I paid him for it upfront so lets not get confused about sending me anything of your personal amps. I also have the cancelled check to show I bought the Maple Amplifier. That was the first sample. The second one was the Walnut Taboo that was recently sold to MNBC.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #883 of 2,112
Wowsers.  Nice to read some of Steve's comments here, but definitely a little strange to hear direct criticism of competing products from him.

Oh well, I'm just looking forward to my Taboo MKIII arriving in a few weeks.  

popcorn.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #884 of 2,112
I love to see Steve drop by and give us updates, but I hope Frank and Steve can resolve this (offline). Also, CSP3+? I need to give Sarah a call...

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #885 of 2,112
Quote:
Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for your detailed comments Steve. An interesting read. 

However, it's still not very clear to me whether the current Taboo MK3 production units (say post April 2013) are tuned to be getting "very loud" or they are still somewhat limited. And can it be confirmed what's the expected dB SPL level when the Taboo MK3 is maxed out on the LCD-2 or LCD-3.

Wowsers.  Nice to read some of Steve's comments here, but definitely a little strange to hear direct criticism of competing products from him.

Oh well, I'm just looking forward to my Taboo MKIII arriving in a few weeks.  

popcorn.gif

I don't mind the comments alluding to competing solutions as I think this was to give insight into some of the design decisions. That said I much look forward comparing my Taboo to some of those competing solutions if/when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back