The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #856 of 2,112
Good point, hadn't considered that.

Quote:
Sarah tells me there will be a black chassis option for the CSP2+ soon. Depending on what your Taboo looks like, that might be a reason to get on the list instead of buying used. Some might find that to be a silly reason though.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #857 of 2,112
The CSP2+ can be tuned neutral or warm to your preference.

On the Decware forums I've read that some (e.g. Will) tune their pre- warm and power-amp cool (you can go vice-versa of course), then adjust the relative levels to adjust their final sound., e.g. higher output level on the CSP2+ (with the power amp lowered to keep the final listening level comfortable) brings more warmth (low-down body). Or raise the power level/lower the pre to thin it out.

I run my Taboo straight from DAC, but I can see the advantage. It's easy to alter the balance between the two amps to suit your genre or preference at the time. No rolling required.

Somewhere round here Mike (zilch0mod, possibly the speaker-amps with headphones thread) has commented on the effect of the ZStage's adjustable output voltage on his Meier SS amp. It raises or lowers dynamics, something which Jan Meier confirmed in principle. If I can find the post I'll link it.

DACs - single ended - certainly do vary in their output levels. Among mine, the EE MiniMax puts out 2.5Vrms without tube, 3Vrms with; Meier Stagedac 2.2Vrms. These may not be typical - the Bifrost and Beresford Bushmaster output 2.0Vrms.

IIRC that black chassis version (or replacement) of the new CSP2 will have the beeswax caps, but would be wise to confirm that.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #858 of 2,112
This is the link.

It's a darn useful post, typically well-written. I misspelt his handle. Mike is zilch0md not 'mod!

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #859 of 2,112
Quote:
This is the link.

It's a darn useful post, typically well-written. I misspelt his handle. Mike is zilch0md not 'mod!

Having experimented with almost everything (Active Preamps=Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, CAT, Jadis, Sonic Frontiers,  VTL, Passive Preamps = Mod Squad, Goldpoint, DIY and no preamp at all) over the years in a speaker based system, IMHO it is always a tradeoff of purity vs dynamic range when deciding between preamp and no preamp (or passive controller).

IF your source components are good, inserting a 'bad' preamp is worse than having no preamp at all.  A colored preamp can easily cloud the sound of a revealing/neutral source and amp combo especially when you consider it adds another run of interconnects (which themselves won't be perfectly neutral) in addition to the preamp itself.  At the end of the day it's all a matter of personal preference but I have never heard a ~2V source component /amp combo that could produce lifelike dynamics on any speakers I have owned or listened to for extended periods (everything from Maggies, Quads, Wilsons, Acoustats, B&Ks, Wisdoms, etc.).  IMHO I am hearing (or not hearing depending upon how you look at it) the same thing from my Taboo3/LCD2s being driven directly from a W4S DAC (2.0V unbalanced).

Now there is no guaranteeing I will prefer the sound adding the CSP2+ I purchased (and additional pair of interconnects) to the mix using the LCD2s, but over the years when driving speakers I always preferred a preamp in between the source and the amp.  Just my 2cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #860 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:
This is the link.

Having experimented with almost everything (Active Preamps=Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, CAT, Jadis, Sonic Frontiers,  VTL, Passive Preamps = Mod Squad, Goldpoint, DIY and no preamp at all) over the years in a speaker based system, IMHO it is always a tradeoff of purity vs dynamic range when deciding between preamp and no preamp (or passive controller).

IF your source components are good, inserting a 'bad' preamp is worse than having no preamp at all.  A colored preamp can easily cloud the sound of a revealing/neutral source and amp combo especially when you consider it adds another run of interconnects (which themselves won't be perfectly neutral) in addition to the preamp itself.  At the end of the day it's all a matter of personal preference but I have never heard a ~2V source component /amp combo that could produce lifelike dynamics on any speakers I have owned or listened to for extended periods (everything from Maggies, Quads, Wilsons, Acoustats, B&Ks, Wisdoms, etc.).  IMHO I am hearing (or not hearing depending upon how you look at it) the same thing from my Taboo3/LCD2s being driven directly from a W4S DAC (2.0V unbalanced).

Now there is no guaranteeing I will prefer the sound adding the CSP2+ I purchased (and additional pair of interconnects) to the mix using the LCD2s, but over the years when driving speakers I always preferred a preamp in between the source and the amp.  Just my 2cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have found that the CSP2+ & Taboo MK III Combo is noticeably superior than the Taboo alone.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #861 of 2,112
Ahh c'mon.  No need to rub it in.  With that type of challenge now I have to seriously consider one.  Anybody think a CSP3+ or other preamp is coming out of Decware in the next couple of years?  The Zen Ultra preamp is out of my range.   

Quote:
I have found that the CSP2+ & Taboo MK III Combo is noticeably superior than the Taboo alone.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #862 of 2,112
Steve told me that they are going to change the top color to the same black as the Taboo MK III. Knowing Steve, it would be unusual for him to just change the color...He can't help messing with perfection..
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #863 of 2,112
Quote:
Steve told me that they are going to change the top color to the same black as the Taboo MK III. Knowing Steve, it would be unusual for him to just change the color...He can't help messing with perfection..
biggrin.gif

I've ordered the black top CSP2+ so we'll see if there's anything new 
size]

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #864 of 2,112
Nice! I am torn. Looking at the pair I can't decide which top I like better....

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #865 of 2,112
Just thought I'd drop a note in the 'for what it's worth' box. I just received a CSP2+/Taboo II combo that I traded for and had sent to Decware to be checked out and have the warranty
transfered. I built an adapter cable that connects a female 4-pin XLR plug directly to the speaker outputs for my LCD2's. I've compared that connection to the TRS jack on the Taboo, and the
direct-to-speaker connection is far superior to the phone jack.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #866 of 2,112
Thanks funch. I've been meaning to solder up such an adapter to try with my T2 as well. Your report is encouraging.

My cable terminates in a 4-pin TRS plug too. Could you supply details please - which pins to which spkr terminals? TIA

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #868 of 2,112
Good to know.  This alone will likely be enough to fight the temptation to pick up the CSP2+ that have showed up in the forums.

Finally got through all of the pages through this thread while enjoying Frank's MKIII 
biggrin.gif

Lots of useful tube suggestions.  I kept my precious 6922 tubes from my 2nd tube amp (Lyr).  Glad to have those Siemens CCa and Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 tubes still with me.

With the MKII we could use 12AU7/T7/X7 tubes.  If popped those into the MKIII would that be bad or just not sound good?  I have a bunch with labels rubbed off so it would be easy to mistake it for a 6922 if not paying attention because the size is similar.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #869 of 2,112
Good question...I have not tried any of the 12AU7 variants myself. I would give Steve a call. He is always happy to discuss tube choices...

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #870 of 2,112
Whoa WNBC! Don't put 12xx7 tubes in the T3! Not the same tube family at all. Termination could result :eek:

Actually just playing on the name a bit - I don't know it would harm the T3 but I don't imagine 12v tubes run in place of 6v tubes would sound entirely right.

You are lucky having those Lyr tubes - I forgot I'd seen you in that thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back