The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,966 of 2,112
^ I have the CSP2+ but with the Taboo Mk II not III.

FWIW I do not pair them. With my LCD2r1 I find the Taboo alone highly transparent and with other terrific properties such as nicely controlled, extended highs and quality bass with tremendous impact when it's there to be had. Combined, there is more 'weight' it is true. And more tuning possibilities. If you tube each to have a distinct sound you can alter the mix by how you set the levels between the CSP and Taboo i.e. raise or lower one doing the opposite to the other.

However I also found the combination just a little less transparent than the Taboo (or CSP) alone. To help interpret this observation, bear in mind - again - I pair the Taboo with an LCD2 rev 1, not quite a typical phone these days. Not even typical of the Audez'e 'sound' perhaps, since the LCD2 rev 2, 3 and X models emerged!

Btw, I also use the Taboo to drive a pair of moderately efficient (90dBA) French Triangle speakers. Again, the CSP adds weight but I prefer the Taboo alone and don't find it underpowered. Doubtless mitigating the lack of preamp is that my DAC puts out around 3V rms - a little more than the standard 2V rms. That's a factor to consider as well.

To continue, I do not get these qualities with the LCD3-F, which seems to not reach the same quality and tunefulness of bass. Indeed, it seems a tad slow and so not the best possible match. Or I haven't found the right tubes yet.

The CSP2+ is an ideal match with the Beyer T1 and especially the HD-800 (change of driver tube for each; rectifier = RCA 5Y3GT; no other rolling needed). So much so with the 800 I haven't bothered to try it with the Taboo mk II. (I have a bias to not expect Taboo and any high-Z phone to match as - presumably - the Taboo doesn't swing enough voltage. This said, I'm conscious many here whose ears I respect find the Taboo and 800 a great match. I must try it some day, as the proof or disproof is in the listening).

So jealous! Looking forward to your impressions of the Tori Jnr.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,967 of 2,112

I'm curious to know how you would compare the HD800 or LCD3f sound out of the MKIII to the HE1000 for my reference as I was curious about acquiring an HE1000 as was also wondering about its synergy with the MKIII. 

I'll give the 800's a try over the weekend, after the Taboo is fully burned in, and let you know

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,968 of 2,112
  Its been 2+ weeks with my new Decware Taboo MKIII. So far, I have used it without any tube rolling (with my LCD3) to make sure I get a good burn-in with the stock tubes. Plan to roll them soon.

My impressions so far -
The stock without Lucid mode has a nice soundstage with good instrument separation. With the Lucid mode, I find suitable improvement.

I have gotten some recommendations to pair the MKIII with a CSP2+ but I'm not sure how much of an improvement I will hear. Any thoughts/feedback on this?

I'm looking forward to my Decware TORII JR :)

Update soon...

In my opinion the CSP2+ makes the Taboo MKIII sound richer - it adds a little weight to the sound - some might call it less transparent.  I generally prefer it over the MKIII alone with the LCD3f.  However, I do still like the sound of the Taboo MKIII alone with the LCD3f.  It is a matter of personal preference.  When I had the MKII with V-Caps - the sound was remarkably transparent from memory but I did not have a chance to pair with the CSP2+.  I think I heard mention that jupiter caps (in the MKIII) are more organic sounding than the V-caps and I would agree.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,969 of 2,112
Getting ready to try some alternative tubes I've purchased in the past for other units ...

Can a 12AU7 be used in the Mk3?  (I've got a NOS Telefunken I could dig out.)

Can an ECC82? (I've got some Gold Lions I could try.)

A 6N23 Reflektor? (I used these in a Lyr2.)

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------
Edit, according to Steve the answer to all of the above is "NO"

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,970 of 2,112
  Getting ready to try some alternative tubes I've purchased in the past for other units ...

Thanks

No they cannot be used in the MKIII except I think the 6n23 might work since it worked in the Lyr2.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,971 of 2,112

No they cannot be used in the MKIII except I think the 6n23 might work since it worked in the Lyr2.

The ECC82s worked in the Lyr2 too

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,973 of 2,112
The Lyr2 is an entirely different circuit design from the Decware gear. The Lyr2 has a FET output (solid-state) with the tubes there for 'flavoring' the sound. Steve Deckert's designs are all tube.

I agree with jhljhl - do not try 12V tubes in a mk III until you have checked with Steve.

I forgot to mention above - my mk II has V-caps as well, doubtless accounting for the transparency. Which I prize.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,975 of 2,112

Thanks

Sigh, Steve says none of these work, so they'll remain in the box in the attic.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,976 of 2,112
  Hello People,

Need some insights from actual MK3 owners who have tube-rolled. I recently purchased (process of delivery) a Decware Taboo MKIII amp for my LCD3. I had heard the music from similar setup and couldn't get the experience out from my head. Lusted for it and finally made the plunge.

However, the setup had rectifier tubes that were not part of the original MkIII. I cannot remember the brand. I searched this thread for rectifier tube alternatives but after going through 50+ pages of posts, I feel frustrated that I couldn’t get anywhere much.

If someone can list out some good alternatives or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it a lot. Any good suggestions on the output and signal tubes are also welcome :)

FYI, the type of tubes on the Decware MK3 are –
Rectification       5Y3GT / 5U4 / 5AR4 tube rectification
Output tubes       SV83 or EL84 / 6BQ5
Signal tube         6922 / 6N1P

Thanks….

An affordable rectifier with surprising performance is the mullard gz30, tung-sol 5y3, fivre 5y3, brimar 5y3... in that order to name a few.   WE422a sound incredible opening up the sound stage and details. Mullard metal base gz34 adds great transparency.  You should see the thread by dubstep girl on her evaluation of rectifiers.

There are 6n14p-ev that sound very good.  Mullard el-84 sound nice warm in the mids and less holographic b/c there is no hazen grid mod effect with el-84s.

Telefunken e88cc sound natural with good extension.  The mullards are warmer in the mids.  I have a dario miniwatt that sounds a little bit in between leaning toward the Telefunken neutrality.

I'm going to try 6922 to 6sn7 adapters eventually.  That should be interesting.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,978 of 2,112
+1 on the Tung Sol 5Y3GT - it's what I use with my Taboo. Liked it enough I bought a spare.

Nice to hear about the 84s. I thought of trying the 84s from nothing more than curiosity. Glad to hear it's not a "must do". I seem to have achieved everything I want with the stock power tubes.

dubstep's evaluation was with Woo amps yes? I wondered how applicable the findings would be to other amp houses and amp designs? Aside from the usual YMMV, to her ears etc.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,979 of 2,112
+1 on the Tung Sol 5Y3GT - it's what I use with my Taboo. Liked it enough I bought a spare.

Nice to hear about the 84s. I thought of trying the 84s from nothing more than curiosity. Glad to hear it's not a "must do". I seem to have achieved everything I want with the stock power tubes.

dubstep's evaluation was with Woo amps yes? I wondered how applicable the findings would be to other amp houses and amp designs? Aside from the usual YMMV, to her ears etc.

dubstep's eval was basically putting down on paper the characteristics of the tubes.  Like what makes a mercedes so special compared to a bmw and the different models of each line.  So I bought some of these rectifiers and can say, in my opinion, she describes the differences pretty well at least with the metal gz34 and we422a.  I think I replied with my impressions in that thread.  So now I feel I can understand her aural sense of impressions and can use her audio experience the next time she reviews amps etc.

Like I was asking someone about the taboo mkiii and he1000 (I have not used) as opposed to lcd3f. 

Also, rectifiers sound different in different systems.  So I can say they effect the taboo mkiii well but the cost and benefit ymmv.  I think Decware voiced his amps on the stock tubes.   I also think if you have two amps that use rectifiers it might be.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,980 of 2,112
^ Indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back