The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,816 of 2,112
That HP mod is fantastic.  I have a mod that puts  external resisters in the speaker outs. I can use them when I listen to my headphones without speakers connected to the amp. DEcware fabricated them for me and I keep them in my LCD2 box.   I have the MK II also.  Great amp.  

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,817 of 2,112
This brings up a good point.  When I had the MKII there was a lot of discussion about having a speaker load on the amp while listening to headphones.  For those of us with the MKII and no speaker switch that was a potential problem.  In the end, I just listened without speakers attached and enjoyed it tremendously.  Maybe I was missing out on a different signature.  Not necessarily better or worse.

Now I have the MKIII.  Is there still a discussion about speakers loads while listening to headphones?  I cannot imagine it is necessary.  Why?  If it was crucial then it would be in the user manual and Steve would have made the speaker switch mandatory on all his amps or include a pair of resistors with each amp.  Am I on the right track here?  I feel this logic could be applied to the MKII as well.  Since Steve is a technical person I would think his manuals would include such info.

Quote:
  That HP mod is fantastic.  I have a mod that puts  external resisters in the speaker outs. I can use them when I listen to my headphones without speakers connected to the amp. DEcware fabricated them for me and I keep them in my LCD2 box.   I have the MK II also.  Great amp.  

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,818 of 2,112
According to Steve, Decware's output trannies can run into a dead short without a problem. Running them with no load, however, can fry them.
That's why I've put one of these on each speaker output.

That way, I can disconnect my 'phones without worry.

BTW, here's the little box I built to connect 'phones directly to the speaker terminals. I use the quad outlet. I installed the twin triples
just to make it more flexible. Wiring is Cardas.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,819 of 2,112
Thank you Funch for the info.  This is out of my expertise.  If you end up building these boxes as a side business let me know.  They are incredibly useful even if not for safety but just placement of gear.

If I understand you correctly, we should start the Taboo with some load like a speaker or headphone.  Not doing so could hurt the transformer.  The headphone should be fine.  I go back to the days of the Lyr with no relays and reading stories of people blowing headphone drivers.  That was probably a very rare thing but even now I still start my gear without a load attached.

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,820 of 2,112
Right out of the taboo manual (from this I get that you do not need to hook up a load before turning the amp on):

Startup section:
~Turn the volume at the front of the amplifier all the way down. Turn on the amplifier and wait for the tubes to warm up and the meters to read aprox 30 milliamps. This will take about a minute. Once the meters have stabilized you can insert the headphones and raise the volume.
Operation section:
~You can use speakers at the same time you use headphones if you want. Due to the typical high efficiency of many headphones, speakers will play comparatively at a lower background monitoring level relative to the volume in the headphones. You may use more than one pair of headphones at the same time with or without speakers connected.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,821 of 2,112
I'm going to speculate that Decware has taken care of that inside the amp. In a previous post, I described how, on my Taboo II, there is a power resistor
connected from each positive speaker post to earth ground, so there should be a load on the output trannies whether or not 'phones or speakers are
hooked up. They may have done that on amps with 'phone jacks as a kind of fail-safe circuit, since many of 'us' don't use speakers.

When I first got my amp, and before I was aware of the output tranny's sensitiviy to a no-load condition, I would routinely warm up my Taboo without any
'phones connected, or without any external load resistors. I've never had a problem. Regardless, I'm perfectly happy with my current setup, so I'm just
going to leave the external resistors in place.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,822 of 2,112
Been playing around with the HD800 and CSP + Taboo combo.  My findings are similar to what others have mentioned:

CSP alone:  a more 3-dimensional and noticeably brighter presentation.  With the CSP alone I like classical, folk, and electronica.
CSP + Taboo:  a more bold, tubey flavor that results in excellent body and low end weight.  With this combo I like jazz, rock, reggae, and vocals.
Taboo alone: will revisit this.  I used the Taboo solo in the beginning but I prefer the CSP or CSP/Taboo combo and I haven't looked back.  

I'm sure tubes can make a big difference as well.    

CSP (single-ended HP output):  3 X Gold Lion 6922 + Phillips 5R4GYS
Taboo (balanced listening output):  Siemens CCa + Gold Lion EL84 + Tung-Sol 5Y3GT

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,823 of 2,112
^ nice notes WNBC.

Can't make up my mind whether to explore HD800 (I've never heard it). Have been considering LCD-X recently. Reviews suggest it's somewhere between T1 and HD800 with quite a lot of Audez'e bass/low mids texture and detail retained as well. So I'm tempted. But HD800 would be a greater contrast to my LCD2/T1/Stax Lambda Pro/RS1 and make more sense I imagine.

As well, I've heard enough changes recently with DACs, tubes, and speaker/XLR adapter to realize I still have a lot to learn about my own listening and preferences!

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,824 of 2,112
If you can audition one for a couple weeks that's a great way to figure out whether it will work for you.  It takes a bit of time for my brain to lock in on the sound and decide whether I like the headphone or not.  Some headphones I liked right away like the LCD-2 as well as a handful of IEMs.  Other headphones like the HE-500 and HD800 required more brain burn-in, which could be part of the natural hearing transition process from one headphone to the next.  I think the HD800 will be a nice contrast from your T1 and LCD-2, but that's my taste.  In the end, some of us have to take the plunge because there is no access to loaners.  For me, the HD800 is probably the last stop in the dynamic headphone arena.  I tried the TH-900 and T1 but I didn't feel they were the best matches for the CSP/Taboo combo to my ears.  I think the T1 was way better than the TH-900 on the Decware amps.  For me the T1 had better mids and the TH-900 is too efficient for these amps.  I could live with the T1 but the HD800 was more to my tastes.  A less efficient, hard to drive Grado would be pretty cool on the Decware amps.  I enjoyed the 225i but too much background noise for my liking.      

No real advice here:)  I'll be curious to when you try the HD-800 and whether you like the combo.  We all know there will be a "when".  
wink.gif

Quote:
^ nice notes WNBC.

Can't make up my mind whether to explore HD800 (I've never heard it). Have been considering LCD-X recently. Reviews suggest it's somewhere between T1 and HD800 with quite a lot of Audez'e bass/low mids texture and detail retained as well. So I'm tempted. But HD800 would be a greater contrast to my LCD2/T1/Stax Lambda Pro/RS1 and make more sense I imagine.

As well, I've heard enough changes recently with DACs, tubes, and speaker/XLR adapter to realize I still have a lot to learn about my own listening and preferences!

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,825 of 2,112
I've recently got a  USAF 596 rectifier from negura and I am just astonished of how good taboo +lcd x sounds with it. It is just amazing. The soundstage is so large and so natural, the positioning in depth is outstanding. Also the treble has better extension. The sound is overall more detailed and faster. 

My 5y3gt is very nice too, but I love usaf 596 more as it is faster, more detailed, has better soundstage and positioning, better treble extension and spark.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,827 of 2,112
I too have found the my Taboo (version II) to wake up the LCD 2's. Originally I used them with a Mjolnir, which I found to be way too
dark/muffled sounding. Sold the Mjolnir and put the LCD's up for sale as well. Fortuately I found the Taboo before the LCD's sold,
and I haven't looked back since.

As good as the Taboo sounds alone, it really wakes up when driven by the CSP. Plus, the CSP makes a great amp for the HD800's.
The downside: spending all your listening time deciding which combo to put on your head.
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,828 of 2,112
^ Wow. Good to know. Originally I intended to add a Mjolnir to my Taboo to cover the SS side. Spent the money on a new DAC instead. Sounds like this was a good decision.

Yes, "Taboo wake(s) up the LCD2" is a good description.

Congrats jeust. Another mk II owner here (like funch) and completely agree with your description.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,829 of 2,112
  I too have found the my Taboo (version II) to wake up the LCD 2's. Originally I used them with a Mjolnir, which I found to be way too
dark/muffled sounding. Sold the Mjolnir and put the LCD's up for sale as well. Fortuately I found the Taboo before the LCD's sold,
and I haven't looked back since.

As good as the Taboo sounds alone, it really wakes up when driven by the CSP. Plus, the CSP makes a great amp for the HD800's.
The downside: spending all your listening time deciding which combo to put on your head.
blink.gif

+1....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back