The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,801 of 2,112
^ 1" paint brush is a great idea. Recently I started using a carbon-fibre brush - good I understand in terms of conducting away any electrostatic charge.

Dan looking forward to reading your review when I get time later today...

Update on my speaker terminals to XLR adapter: funch is right :beerchug: For Taboo II owners using the speaker outs is far superior to the SE phone jack. I didn't have to change my tubes and two weeks in I can say there is no going back.

With the LCD2 I use Lucid 1 (the only lucid I have!) all the time.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,803 of 2,112
Thank you for the review.  Enjoyed reading it and I like the photography style you chose.  

I definitely agree with you about the transparency and clarity of this amp.    

Plans to try a pair of efficient speakers with Taboo?

Which amp do you prefer with the HD-800, the Conductor or Taboo? 

FYI, the woody Taboo is the best looking Taboo 
wink.gif
.  I would have also been happy with the base style you got as well but the ability to change up the wood base is clutch.  

Quote:
  Hey guys. I've posted my review on Taboo MK3

Thank you WNBC. I am waiting to get a balanced cable for HD800 to properly test it with taboo. As for the speakers, I would love to try some, but I need to buy a dac first then I will maybe get a speaker system :D

Has anybody tried these speakers?

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,804 of 2,112
A small paintbrush - that's genius!  I spent all morning in hardware stores and the thought never crossed my mind lol.

I've been using the Taboo to power my 89db entry-level Monitor Audio BX2 speakers.  They're not fancy, but sound great for what they cost, and the Taboo drives them surprisingly well considering their relative inefficiency.  Plenty of volume for a small Amsterdam apartment.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #1,805 of 2,112
I see.  I don't know the scene in Romania but I found even a cheap pair of power efficient vintage Pioneer CS-99s sounded great with the Taboo.  They were not as good as my past Blumenstein speakers and probably not as good as the Decware speakers.  However, keep an eye for bargains and be prepared to speaker roll 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
  Thank you WNBC. I am waiting to get a balanced cable for HD800 to properly test it with taboo. As for the speakers, I would love to try some, but I need to buy a dac first then I will maybe get a speaker system :D

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,806 of 2,112

Thank you for the review.  Enjoyed reading it and I like the photography style you chose.  

I definitely agree with you about the transparency and clarity of this amp.    

Plans to try a pair of efficient speakers with Taboo?

Which amp do you prefer with the HD-800, the Conductor or Taboo? 

FYI, the woody Taboo is the best looking Taboo 
wink.gif
.  I would have also been happy with the base style you got as well but the ability to change up the wood base is clutch.  

Quote:
  Hey guys. I've posted my review on Taboo MK3

Dan, great review! The HD800's really sing on the Taboo with Balanced connections. (I have a balanced Silver Widow...
biggrin.gif
 )

I also own the DM945's and they are a fabulous match with the Taboo and CSP2+ or CSP3+. The all Decware system is basically holographic. I first heard it at Decware during my visit then I bought them and enjoy them here. Big thumbs up!

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,807 of 2,112
Udate on my speaker terminals to XLR adapter: funch is right
beerchug.gif
For Taboo II owners using the speaker outs is far superior to the SE phone jack. I didn't have to change my tubes and two weeks in I can say there is no going back.

With the LCD2 I use Lucid 1 (the only lucid I have!) all the time.

Care to share the details on your adapter? ;¬)

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,808 of 2,112
I'm not sure which brand AiDee is using but I use a BTG 4-pin XLR to banana spades adapter.  For the MKIII I did not notice a difference in sound whether from headphone outs or speaker posts.  But, it was a quick test.  I can give it another try.  I'd also be curious to try CSP3>Emotiva Mini-X>Alpha Dog.  Surely there will be free time before we win the Superbowl 
beerchug.gif

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2609202&id=14641214

Quote:
  Care to share the details on your adapter? ;¬)

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,809 of 2,112
^ yeah I just want to stress that AiDee and I are talking about the Taboo make II (I know wrong thread:wink:.

It’s very possible that the difference reported between the headphone out and the speaker taps doesn’t apply to the Taboo make III...

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,810 of 2,112
Indeed.  I recall reading that was the case.  I'll have to go back and jog my memory about the reasons for why it works with the MKII and MKIII.  However, even knowing that background I still wanted to try the headphones on speakers taps of the MKIII 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  ^ yeah I just want to stress that AiDee and I are talking about the Taboo make II (I know wrong thread:wink:.

It’s very possible that the difference reported between the headphone out and the speaker taps doesn’t apply to the Taboo make III...

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,811 of 2,112
What I soldered together is exactly as WNBC describes - an XLR (female) adapter with four banana plugs. I bought a Q-cable with XLR male, so it's a simple matter of connecting the XLRs.

Soldering was not brilliant but the main thing is to check with a multi-meter that you have the right pins to the right plugs and good connections (should be zero resistance if you have the right pin/plug; infinite e.g. "0.L" otherwise).

Positives (red speaker terminals) get odd-numbered pins; negatives are evens. Left channel gets pins 1 and 2. A handy source to verify the right connections (and more) is Rob Robinette's site (aka robrob on headfi I believe).

As the III already has XLR hp sockets, there should be little or no difference between these and the adapter. Might be a difference with adapter versus TRS though? There is definitely a perceived large difference with the model II.

Finally here, XLR socket artfully (ha!) arranged at front of Taboo, is pictorial evidence. Hastily snapped just now with no attention to lighting or composition, make of it what you will :D The shocking pink cable received wife approval but was "forced choice". Having ordered new plugs and sockets but finding I had no speaker cable in the house, I butchered the pink speaker cable illustrated instead. Well, at least it saved me soldering the banana plugs I'd ordered...

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,812 of 2,112
^ the pink cable compliments the purple cable very well by the way :¬)

And thanks for the details!

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,814 of 2,112
^ Lol thanks Eric, I think... :D

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,815 of 2,112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back