The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jan 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,786 of 2,112
The best part is having choices so you can try new things with the music you love/ Always good to have more things to try.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,787 of 2,112
Absolutely :beerchug:

And I'm starting to like the change already :wink:

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,788 of 2,112
Thanks AiDee, much appreciated!
(wrong thread indeed! sorry for the slight derail guys;¬)

I personally use a 5751 tube in the input stage (supposed to be low gain-ish) and a couple of 7320s (E84L) in the output stage. I just don’t want to rip appart my q-audio cable to verify if I prefer the sound straight from the speaker taps or not (and I can’t seem to relocate my stock cable from my LCD-2s)...

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,789 of 2,112
Been quiet in this thread lately :)

CSP3 is back from Steve and now I can roll both 6N-1P and 6922s.  It's drop dead quite now as well.  You guys are right about the Phillips 5R4GYS.  I like it.  

The CSP + Taboo -->  HD-800 is a special combo.  I'm really enjoying it.  The HD-800 is often called dry and technical.  With the Decware amps driving the HD-800 it is engaging while retaining its technical merits.  I like the CSP + Taboo a lot more than Taboo alone with the HD-800.  However, CSP + HD-800 is close to as good as it can get.  

Balanced Q-Audio cable coming this weekend too.  Should be fun to hear the HD-800 in Taboo balanced mode.  Also, getting a loaner T1 from a friend and I will try that with the Decware amps.  
Listening to Toumani Diabate "New Ancient Strings".  I probably like the planars for guitar because of the midrange body but it's not too shabby on the HD-800 
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,790 of 2,112
It has been quiet...

Question, folks, regarding the bias meters. Just today, I received a matched pair of Tungsram EL84 from upscale audio. Popped them into the Taboo and switched it on and let it warm up for about 5 minutes.

I plugged the phones in, and no sound in the right channel. The right meter was reading crazy high, about 85. So I switched tubes side to side, now left channel dead and high meter reading.

So my question- obviously one tube is bad, but could leaving it running in the amp several minutes before I noticed have damaged anything? Never seen the meter go that nuts before.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,791 of 2,112
It has been quiet...

Question, folks, regarding the bias meters. Just today, I received a matched pair of Tungsram EL84 from upscale audio. Popped them into the Taboo and switched it on and let it warm up for about 5 minutes.

I plugged the phones in, and no sound in the right channel. The right meter was reading crazy high, about 85. So I switched tubes side to side, now left channel dead and high meter reading.

So my question- obviously one tube is bad, but could leaving it running in the amp several minutes before I noticed have damaged anything? Never seen the meter go that nuts before.

Doubtful if switching had the other side working. Put in another pair and you should be fine.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,793 of 2,112
  Been quiet in this thread lately :)

CSP3 is back from Steve and now I can roll both 6N-1P and 6922s.  It's drop dead quite now as well.  You guys are right about the Phillips 5R4GYS.  I like it.  

The CSP + Taboo -->  HD-800 is a special combo.  I'm really enjoying it.  The HD-800 is often called dry and technical.  With the Decware amps driving the HD-800 it is engaging while retaining its technical merits.  I like the CSP + Taboo a lot more than Taboo alone with the HD-800.  However, CSP + HD-800 is close to as good as it can get.  

Balanced Q-Audio cable coming this weekend too.  Should be fun to hear the HD-800 in Taboo balanced mode.  Also, getting a loaner T1 from a friend and I will try that with the Decware amps.  
Listening to Toumani Diabate "New Ancient Strings".  I probably like the planars for guitar because of the midrange body but it's not too shabby on the HD-800 
beerchug.gif

Q-cable is very nice, I use mine with lucid mode 1 on most of the time...congrats and good listening...
L3000.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,795 of 2,112
Nice review!  
L3000.gif

I never wrote a detailed review myself, but I agree with most of what you write.  Mine is a hummer as well but I've totally made peace with it.  Never even really think about it any more, even though I still suspect there's unit to unit variance as some seem to have dead silent backgrounds, I have hum on both channels, and you have hum on one.  Oh well.  The only other downside I'd mention is that it's a real pain to get dust off it.  Mine's looking kind of filthy.  
ph34r.gif

I have zero regrets - the Taboo is one of the coolest things I've ever owned.  

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,796 of 2,112
  Nice review!  
L3000.gif

I never wrote a detailed review myself, but I agree with most of what you write.  Mine is a hummer as well but I've totally made peace with it.  Never even really think about it any more, even though I still suspect there's unit to unit variance as some seem to have dead silent backgrounds, I have hum on both channels, and you have hum on one.  Oh well.  The only other downside I'd mention is that it's a real pain to get dust off it.  Mine's looking kind of filthy.  
ph34r.gif

I have zero regrets - the Taboo is one of the coolest things I've ever owned.  

Thanks Kendoji.

I was just thinking about the dust, myself :)

It is a great amp indeed. The hum is a little annoying, sometimes, especially when advertised as silent.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,797 of 2,112
Actually does anyone have any good tips on cleaning and keeping the Taboo dust-free?  I do have the rubber things to plug up all the unused headphone inputs, we've talked about those before and they're essential for this amp, I think.  I'm still looking for the perfect dusting tool.  :)

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,798 of 2,112
Thank you for the review.  Enjoyed reading it and I like the photography style you chose.  

I definitely agree with you about the transparency and clarity of this amp.    

Plans to try a pair of efficient speakers with Taboo?

Which amp do you prefer with the HD-800, the Conductor or Taboo? 

FYI, the woody Taboo is the best looking Taboo 
wink.gif
.  I would have also been happy with the base style you got as well but the ability to change up the wood base is clutch.  

Quote:
  Hey guys. I've posted my review on Taboo MK3

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,799 of 2,112
I haven't thought about cleaning mine yet.  However, with tubes removed and power off, is there a reason we can't clean it with a slightly moist (water or 70% EtOH) dust-free cloth rag?  I'll have to check the Decware forums.  I'm sure somebody has brought this up with Steve.  

Quote:
  Actually does anyone have any good tips on cleaning and keeping the Taboo dust-free?  I do have the rubber things to plug up all the unused headphone inputs, we've talked about those before and they're essential for this amp, I think.  I'm still looking for the perfect dusting tool.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back