The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Apr 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #406 of 2,115
Congrats! Did you read Frank's review (linked a page or two back)? He may address your question (or will know the answer anyway).

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #407 of 2,115
Quote:
I just received my Cherry Base Taboo III today, and it is a beauty. This is the first Decware amp I've owned and I am very impressed. First class workmanship.

It sounds just fine with my LCD-2's, although it is only a few hours old.

Does anyone know what happens when both LUCID mode switches are on? Didn't read anything about this in the instruction manual.

Van Halen has never sounded this good....

Regards, TW.

The lucid modes will change your sound stage. Try the switch on the right first. Listen for a while then flip the left switch. The sound stage expands and on some recordings sounds excellent while on others I choose not to use it. My review is linked at the bottom of  my signature and explains how lucid mode works. Enjoy the amp.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #408 of 2,115
Quote:
I just received my Cherry Base Taboo III today, and it is a beauty. This is the first Decware amp I've owned and I am very impressed. First class workmanship.

It sounds just fine with my LCD-2's, although it is only a few hours old.

Does anyone know what happens when both LUCID mode switches are on? Didn't read anything about this in the instruction manual.

Van Halen has never sounded this good....

Regards, TW.

Grats and pictures please!

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #410 of 2,115
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Frank.

I just wanted to make sure it was okay to have both Lucid mode switches on at the same time.

Great review as well...

Glad you liked the review. Play with the switches most of the time I prefer it off. I use it on some recordings. On Doug Mcleod I turn it off because he is in the right channel and his guitar coming out of the left channel. On other recordings it really expands the stage.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #411 of 2,115
Dunno why I lost track of this thread...

Thought I'd chime in on Lucid Mode.  I've only had the MK3 for a couple days, but so far I prefer Original to New, or off.  It's neat though; there's a pretty big difference between the 3 modes.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #412 of 2,115
What phones are you using OPR8R?

On a related track: IDK - never heard 'em - but wondering if 'lucid extreme' might be too much with HD800's big soundstage??

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #413 of 2,115
Quote:

On a related track: IDK - never heard 'em - but wondering if 'lucid extreme' might be too much with HD800's big soundstage??

LCD2 (Bamboo).  Never heard HD800s either, but since you can shut "extreme" and/or "original" off it shouldn't be an issue for HD800 users.

As tempted as I am by HD800s, I need to save for a DAC upgrade first, I think.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #414 of 2,115
Quote:

The answer to your question on the new lucid mode with the hD800. It depends on the recording. It lets you hear deeper into the recording studio. More front to back space. It is sometimes fantastic and other times it does not suit  the recording. It will give you more depth. The HD9800 has a wide sound stage but think if your in a concert how bog and wide and deep the musicians are playing, Lucid Mode on some recordings bring you closer to the event.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #415 of 2,115
Quote:
I hear you Frank. I just read all of Tyll's blog about how this mod helps with a resonance that happens in the headphone that causes a ringing and makes the headphone come off as too bright to many. I probably will just go stock for a while as I have a lot of work to do to dial it all in.

If anyone has any experience here, I would love to hear thoughts. Otherwise, I will probably wait on it.

Given the HD800's need for a really good chain of components, I wonder about what was being used when people were hearing these sharp trebles? The HD800's have always sounded wonderful with my gear. No mod required for my ears.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #416 of 2,115
Quote:
Dunno why I lost track of this thread...

Thought I'd chime in on Lucid Mode.  I've only had the MK3 for a couple days, but so far I prefer Original to New, or off.  It's neat though; there's a pretty big difference between the 3 modes.

I find myself spending more time with old lucid mode...Fun to see how we are all using the settings.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #418 of 2,115
Quote:
I find myself spending more time with old lucid mode...Fun to see how we are all using the settings.

I agree 
size]

Frank asked if you were using your CPS2+ as a preamp.  My question is, have you tried using your DAC2 to control the volume?

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #419 of 2,115
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #420 of 2,115
I hear you Frank. I just read all of Tyll's blog about how this mod helps with a resonance that happens in the headphone that causes a ringing and makes the headphone come off as too bright to many. I probably will just go stock for a while as I have a lot of work to do to dial it all in.

If anyone has any experience here, I would love to hear thoughts. Otherwise, I will probably wait on it.

I forgot to add that Tyll generally prefers a darker sound signature and will really admit it. If the HD 800 in its stock form doesn't bother you, it's best to leave it alone. Plus you'll have the option of tube rolling to tailor the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back