The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Apr 23, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #364 of 2,115
Quote:
Just to be clear and you probably know this: the Taboo is not a balanced amp. The XLR outputs make it so balanced cans may be driven from this single-ended amp. With the 4-pin option you can drive two balanced cans at the same time.

Have fun watching The List. You won't regret it on the other end.

Yeah - it's not paramount to me it doesn't have balanced inputs, but I've been pondering for a moment or two how come it sounds better out of the balanced outputs.

Could it be the cables? :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #365 of 2,115
Quote:
great review frank.  it was your original review of the MKII is what ultimately made me decide to go with the taboo.  It was worth the wait and decware really makes some excellent products with great value.  There's a lot of really over hyped stuff on head fi, but the taboo is a product that I can easily stand by and recommend to anyone.  It sounds like the MK3 is even more versatile (I remember people saying the 2 with high impedance phones was not so great.  Although, unfortunately I do feel that with the new pricing that the overall value of the taboo has decreased.   That being said I have not heard the MK3, but I find it hard to imagine it being that much better in terms of the extra dollar amount.  Maybe those who have experienced both can share their opinion.

Thanks Llloyd for the kind words. i remember when you purchased the  Mk11. The improvements the MK 111 has over the MK11 are subtle but noticeable. I described what we heard when we compared both amplifiers. For people looking for that last ounce of detail it may be worth to upgrade and for most Mk11 owners for that subtle improvement it may not be worth to upgrade. The tube in  the driver section of the MK111 is the popular 6922 which is one of my favorite tubes but the 12AT7 Mullard  I used in the MK11 was also excellent. The Mk three gives you a little more transparency and  has a little more in sound stage but again they are subtle improvements.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #366 of 2,115
Frank, excellent review. People will really get a sense for the beauty of the MKIII from the write up. What you wrote was what we heard the day Zheng and I came over. And congrats on your first full review.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #367 of 2,115
Quote:
Frank, excellent review. People will really get a sense for the beauty of the MKIII from the write up. What you wrote was what we heard the day Zheng and I came over. And congrats on your first full review.

David I am glad you enjoyed the review. It was great having you and Zheng over that day and look coward to another one. When I get the Stratus you should host a mini meet so I can

hear your fantastic setup in your new room.   That was the first official review for Dagogo and I will doing many more as well, but I will always be part of this wonderful community.  

Headfi is my favorite community to meet people and share the experiences with such terrific friends that I have made. Thanks David for your contribution in the review process for the

MK111.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #368 of 2,115
Apr 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #369 of 2,115
Hi Frank,

How would you compare the bass quantity, extension and texture of the MK3 with the V200. In particular with the HD800s - I guess the real question is, is it satisfying?

Thx.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #370 of 2,115
Quote:
Hi Frank,

How would you compare the bass quantity, extension and texture of the MK3 with the V200. In particular with the HD800s - I guess the real question is, is it satisfying?

Thx.

The bass is very tight and controlled and also well extended. I love the V200 but the Taboo MK111 is the better amp as it should be at the price difference. You will not miss any bass witht he Taboo. The amp has the texture and extension that is very satisfying.  IMO the V200 is outstanding as well and built to a price point.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #371 of 2,115
Quote:
The bass is very tight and controlled and also well extended. I love the V200 but the Taboo MK111 is the better amp as it should be at the price difference. You will not miss any bass witht he Taboo. The amp has the texture and extension that is very satisfying.  IMO the V200 is outstanding as well and built to a price point.

Thanks. That's really great to hear. I completely agree regarding the V200 and I loved mine (before it had to go to allow funding other stuff), so hearing the Taboo MK3 improves in all these areas is stuff to get excited about. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #372 of 2,115
I wonder if the MKIII represents a noticeable, yet subtle, improvement over the MKII... then I suspect the CSP may still be the better-sounding match for the HD800. The difference between it and the MKII was anything but subtle when I owned both.

Didn't like the HD800+MKII combo very much. Was more satisfying to listen to Grados with it. (!!)

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #373 of 2,115
Quote:
I wonder if the MKIII represents a noticeable, yet subtle, improvement over the MKII... then I suspect the CSP may still be the better-sounding match for the HD800. The difference between it and the MKII was anything but subtle when I owned both.

Didn't like the HD800+MKII combo very much. Was more satisfying to listen to Grados with it. (!!)

The biggest difference with the Mk11 with the hD800 is the balanced output . The 4 pin  XLR stepped up the performance over the CSP2, so much so that I sold the CSP2. The tube compliment in the Mk111 is different also with the 6922 in the front end driver. The CSP2 is still an excellent amplifier for the HD800 and is still one of my favorites. The MK 111 is very satisfying as well.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #374 of 2,115
Quote:
Quote:
Just to be clear and you probably know this: the Taboo is not a balanced amp. The XLR outputs make it so balanced cans may be driven from this single-ended amp. With the 4-pin option you can drive two balanced cans at the same time.

Have fun watching The List. You won't regret it on the other end.

Yeah - it's not paramount to me it doesn't have balanced inputs, but I've been pondering for a moment or two how come it sounds better out of the balanced outputs.

Could it be the cables? :)

I'm glad its not a problem for you.  As far as the difference in sound quality between the TRS and XLR outputs, I'd have to leave that question to those with more knowledge.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #375 of 2,115
Balanced vs. unbalanced shouldn't make a difference in sound quality in itself. Balanced was designed for avoiding interference and hum when running longer lengths. Not a problem in most home environments.

When we do hear differences, it's usually due to variances in input/output implementation. For example, the reason "balanced" sounds so much better via the Bryston BHA-1 is because the unbalanced port was only added as an afterthought. Thus, due to the internal design compromise, it doesn't reflect what the amp can truly do. It's the amp, not the cable.

Taboo MKIII has dual 1/4" unbalanced jacks as well as a pair of balanced XLR's up front. Might/might not sound significantly different depending upon the internal configuration. But I aims to find out at the next meeting... 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back