The Darkvoice/La Figaro 332C and 332S Impressions/Discussion Thread
Mar 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #316 of 454
I know there are people that are weary of the 332S and it's potential hum problems. Yuking09 has been really good about trying to rectify the situation with a revised version of this model. I'm sure the issue will be worked out.

On another note, the 332C has been stellar. No hum issues other than tube hum (with specific brands such as LM Ericsson and Tung Sol) that is gone after about 2 to 3 hours of burn in.

As as a separate issue, the only thing I can't wrap my head around is tube rolling. I've tried different tubes and I still can't tell the differences. My advice for newbies is to just get two different sets of tubes in addition to the ones that come with the amp. If you can really hear the difference then go for more if that floats your boat. There are tons of posts in this thread that detail the perceived differences in signal tubes and which ones to get. That's my .02¢...

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #317 of 454
I'd like to quickly add to the above; i recieved a replacement 332S amp - and its absolutely silent, no hum issues at all, and the output volume (which i had complained about) is also now perfect. Unfortunately i left on holiday after recieving the amp -so i'd not had more than a short evening to put it through its paces. When i return home (next wek) i'll post impressions.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #318 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to quickly add to the above; i recieved a replacement 332S amp - and its absolutely silent, no hum issues at all, and the output volume (which i had complained about) is also now perfect.

Yuking deserves high praise for the customer support they have been showing. All 'guinea pig' test buyers on Head-Fi I know of have been rewarded with a new, revised Figaro 332s that solves all issues they gave feedback on.

I had so much fun with the revised 332S this week, the combination with my Senns is simply fantastic. With the HD650 I like the Ericsson 403B most - thanks for the advice Godkin! In the 332S, this analytical tube provides stunning detail and space, while compensating for the somewhat heavy bass-lowmidrange of the HD650. With the 'lighter' HD600, the russian tubes or the CV4010 are favorites (and a lot cheaper!). But I now keep going back to the HD650/Ericsson combination.

I highly recommend the Figaro 332S to any potential buyers, just make sure you get a revised one. When in doubt, ask which potentiometers are used. The pots are visible through the cooling slots at the sides. In the revised amp they are square, with a blue middle part. The first generation has round pots in a silver housing.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #319 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey yuking, what do you think about to build a little/simple internal mechanical thing to control both volume pots buy turning only one of them? Something that could be switched on or off by a mechanical bottom or switch. Wouldn't it be a nice thing?

lao

Hi.332c is specially designed for users who accustomed to a single knob.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #320 of 454
Glad to hear the teething problems with the 332S are being resolved. And well done, Yuking09, on the great customer service. Also glad you like the 403Bs, Arie123, stunning tube, my personal favourite, especially with the Svetlana 6S19P-Vs.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #321 of 454
No idea if this has been mentioned yet (I did skim back through the posts and couldn't see anything) but it would seem lucky frog audio has shut up shop, so looks like anyone in the uk who is after either the 332c/332s will have to use boiyer or another supplier.

Lucky Frog Audio.co.uk are UK sellers of headphone amplifiers by Shanling, CityPulse and La Figaro, T-amps by PopPulse & CitySpot, USB SP-II PC-Link II Transport, CityPulse Dacs, Super Pro Dac 707 and NOS 6s19p-v tubes by Svetlana and Ulyanovsk. Also

hope things are alright for you antigeek.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #323 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have much to contribute here, but I think the name Darkvoice is about 100 times better than "La Figaro". Sounds like the new cheap compact car by Chevy

LOL. I couldn't agree more. However, the amps are excellent and worth the price paid so I'm willing to overlook a crappy name. You want to talk about crappy names... talk about the iPad. Nuff said.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #324 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by arie123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even on max, there is very very little hum. Not dead silent, but at this volume my ears would bleed with music playing so I think it's totally irrelevant. At normal listening level, the 332S background is completely black to me, meaning it is way below ambient (late-night) noises from appliances (refridgerators, pc's etc) elsewhere in the house.

Did you check the hum level with your input source disconnected? Hum can come from anywhere (ground loops, source...). In my system, the noise and hum bottleneck is now clearly not the 332S, but the Valab DAC that is connected to it (and even that level is absolutely not affecting my listening experience). If the hum is still there without a source connected, I'd try some tube rolling+burnin before drawing conclusions. I'm very happy with my revised and silent 332S, hope you will be too!

Sorry for the late reply. I took both the amps and used the same tubes for both and put them head to head with max volume and nothing else connected. Both had slight hum. When I say slight I mean you have to plug in and unplug the headphones to notice a difference and even then you have to double check. So far both amps have been great, but I don't need two so I will probably end up putting the grey transformer one up for sale for a big discount (might as well share these amps with the rest of headfi)

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #325 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both had slight hum. When I say slight I mean you have to plug in and unplug the headphones to notice a difference and even then you have to double check.

If I read this, you didn't really have a hum problem with the first one anyway. The hum in my first amp was impossible to miss, surely no double checking needed....

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #326 of 454
Quote:

If I read this, you didn't really have a hum problem with the first one anyway. The hum in my first amp was impossible to miss, surely no double checking needed....

I guess so, I'm confident in both these amps. The only issue I have with the new one is the transformer is slight dented. Could this effect the sound?

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #327 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess so, I'm confident in both these amps. The only issue I have with the new one is the transformer is slight dented. Could this effect the sound?

No.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #328 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have much to contribute here, but I think the name Darkvoice is about 100 times better than "La Figaro". Sounds like the new cheap compact car by Chevy

I agree Darkvoice is a more beautiful name. Then again, the 332S design is more beautiful than that of it's cousin, the Darkvoice 3322. Sticking to car metaphores: the 332S looks are more Lamborghini than Chevy
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #329 of 454
Quote:

I agree Darkvoice is a more beautiful name. Then again, the 332S design is more beautiful than that of it's cousin, the Darkvoice 3322. Sticking to car metaphores: the 332S looks are more Lamborghini than Chevy
tongue.gif

LOL and the Darkvoice 337 is a Dodge Viper - ugly but powerful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back