The Darkvoice/La Figaro 332C and 332S Impressions/Discussion Thread
Feb 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #256 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the Mullard 8100 (CV4010) tubes, lots of nice rich tone.

good for Jazz! male voice!

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #257 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by arie123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were these still the stock tubes?

The front signal tubes are not stock (totally forgot what they are, but they are western) then back tubes are stock. I have a feeling the original back tubes are the culprit.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #258 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogygia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone can recable the signal input connection of 332s? Trying to make it not crossing over the power wire and stick to the case. I think it is the best solution, since someone proved my power off test already...The noise may come from power.

Adding capacitor will have unknown effect on sound....Why don't focus on the original power/signal design problem?

Well, the main reason for me is that the bypass caps worked very well for many Darkvoice users before, including some with a very good repution regarding their ability to evaluate sound quality before and after the mod. Second: because the bypass caps are simple to do - much more simple that finding out which wires are the problem. But I may give the recabling of the signal imput wires a shot.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #259 of 454
Ogygia: I should have added that I DO appreciate your suggestions. If it indeed proves to be the crossing of the input signal cable over power wires, solving the problem at the source is indeed by far the most elegant solution. It will need quite some extension of the input wire though to route alsong the case. But: the hum may also be picked up at many other places (too). That's why the bypass cap was a favorite solution among 336 users.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #260 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by arie123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ogygia: I should have added that I DO appreciate your suggestions. If it indeed proves to be the crossing of the input signal cable over power wires, solving the problem at the source is indeed by far the most elegant solution. It will need quite some extension of the input wire though to route alsong the case. But: the hum may also be picked up at many other places (too). That's why the bypass cap was a favorite solution among 336 users.

recable of this part should improve the sound quailty as well!!!
as pic shows...red arrow=right, green=left, blue=power with ripple noise @ 100~110hz

ogygia-albums-amp-picture4748-user130567-pic3939-1257861200.jpg

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #261 of 454
Whatever....the design and some important materials used in 3322 is better than 332s. The materials like vishay resisters and mkp capaciters. 332s get better in neutrick phone jac and cmc rac....

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #262 of 454
Looking at the above you'd expect the hum to be an issue in both channels, whilst its only in one channel (left) on my amp.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #263 of 454
Quote:

Looking at the above you'd expect the hum to be an issue in both channels, whilst its only in one channel (left) on my amp.

they a asymmatric and handcrafted...one more facter....your system is not sensitive enough to listen the hum

does the noise's frequency like lowest note for viola? did you try my power off test?
All are just some guess.....
regular_smile .gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #264 of 454
I moved my amp last night, which involved taking out the power lead and plugging it in again.
Now the hum is in both channels! So I switched power lead, no difference.
Curious... Anyone else tried a different power lead, or just removing the cable and replacing it.

Also, can I ask if other owners have the same hum issues, so I can get a handle on whether this is an isolated case or a more general issue.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #265 of 454
I'm not having any hum issues with my 332c. I would call a hum issue something that is noticeably audible. If I'm wearing my IEMs I do hear a slight hum. It is really slight though and when nothing is playing at all. Is this an issue? or is it being picky? It doesn't bother me so I'm letting sleeping dogs lie. Hope you find a way to get rid of the hum that doesn't require too much modification, etc. I hate to say it, but I think you should request a new unit.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #266 of 454
Ogygia: in my 332s, the hum is almost constant. There is little difference when the volume is totally closed or totally open. I would expect it to be much more volume dependent when the hum is picked up by the cable from the cinch plugs to the volume control board on the front (the wire you indicated in the picture above).
I verified the frequency of the hum, it is indeed 100hz.

Addendum: I took out the cinch plugs plus wiring, moving the whole assembly out of the cabinet and away from the power lines. Not the slightest difference, so the hum is not picked up there.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #267 of 454
Quote:

Now the hum is in both channels! So I switched power lead, no difference.
Curious... Anyone else tried a different power lead, or just removing the cable and replacing it.

Also, can I ask if other owners have the same hum issues, so I can get a handle on whether this is an isolated case or a more general issue.

Bigtony: I tried other powerlines too, no difference at all.
With my 332s, the hum has been steady on both channels for days now. My hopes are gone it will disappear by itself and I'm really disappointed the Fitz mod has no effect in this amp.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #269 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you going to do about the buzzing problem on the 332s Yuking?
popcorn.gif

Just redesign it....recable it...I noticed the problem once I saw the interior.... I dun think it was designed by anyone who knows HIFI at the beginning......Darkvoice is dead and no longer here with us...Hopes the oringinal designer will be back
frown.gif

the coupling cap installing at a wrong position. let it interferences twice by the power wire after rectifer, that means no matter you turning the vol. the noise is getting into the cans after vol adjustment....This is the reason for arie123 said.....

and 100 hz, as arie123 said and i predicted....rippling current after rectifer....commen sence for a HIFI DIY-er

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #270 of 454
I remember you mentioning this problem when you first looked at the interior of the 332S, Ogygia. Certainly, the old 3322 never suffered from this buzzing problem - totally silent from day one. I hope LA FIGARO get this sorted out, otherwise they'll be a lot of pi**ed off owners out there.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back