The DAC when money is no object
Mar 17, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would buy an Esoteric D-01 (and a P-01).
Simply because I think it looks fantastic, and from the price tag I expect it to sound "decent" as well.
lambda.gif

It sounds more than "decent". I had the opportunity to listen to the P-01/D-01/G-0s combination at my Esoteric/Chord/JMLabs dealer and it was very good indeed. Back then, I didn't know what Esoteric was since it was my first time in the dealer so I had no idea how much it cost. At $50k, they mean serious business. It's by far the most expensive source I've listened to so i don't know how it compares to for example, a dCS Verdi/Elgar Plus/Purcell stack...

It's almost impossible to be able to form a balanced opinion because there's just no opportunity to test all these great sources at the same time. Hence, there is definitely a slight risk involved. You end up evaluating the source as part of a whole system and not individually, which doesn't help if you're only shopping comparatively for the source itself. The only method by which you can comparatively audition the sources is by home demo, but I'd imagine you'd have to be on fairly good terms with the dealer (eg previous customer who purchased expensive gear).

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by NanduAjit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if money is no object- Boulder 2020, arguably the best DAC in the world. but at its price it should be....$37,000!

heard of the gte trinity?

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you audition that set this one as your winner?

Esoteric X-01 Limited, X-03, P-01/D-01, Meridian 808, EMM Labs DAC6E/CDSD, Reimyo CDP-777 and a few others that I own or owned. All excellent stuff, but the Esoteric had the combination of sound, aesthetics and versatility that I wanted. What can I say, I also like my gear big:
singlepower.jpg
SBR.jpg

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Esoteric X-01 Limited, X-03, P-01/D-01, Meridian 808, EMM Labs DAC6E/CDSD, Reimyo CDP-777 and a few others that I own or owned. All excellent stuff, but the Esoteric had the combination of sound, aesthetics and versatility that I wanted. What can I say, I also like my gear big:
singlepower.jpg
SBR.jpg

Thanks.
cool.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #35 of 69
Now that is something to appreciate. Thanks for sharing you setup and a beautiful environment.

Quote:

Esoteric X-01 Limited, X-03, P-01/D-01, Meridian 808, EMM Labs DAC6E/CDSD, Reimyo CDP-777 and a few others that I own or owned. All excellent stuff, but the Esoteric had the combination of sound, aesthetics and versatility that I wanted. What can I say, I also like my gear big

Jul 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #41 of 69
[size=xx-small]mbl 1611E[/size]

Never heard one, but I want to...

1611_01_500x330.jpg

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Resized_DSC00927.jpg
Resized_DSC00926.jpg

Resized_DSC00928.jpg
e7f8ae69.jpg

Show off!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I come over and play
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, Sleestack loves for people to come over and play with his setup. And it's just a short trip for you, about 2500 miles.
tongue.gif
I got a brief listen at the National, it's well worth the trip!

This month's stereophile has a review of a new DAC/transport pair from Chord. It would certainly be worth auditioning.

The best source I've ever heard in a longer audtion was in the early 90's. It was a Goldmund transport and DAC. I can't remember the model numbers but the pair cost $32K then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back