The D7000 IS an improvement from the D5000
Jan 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
And a more than slight improvement. The flaws which are present in the D5000 are essentially fixed, the recessed mids are gone, the bass is much more controlled and has more impact, the treble rolloff is gone without turning into a bright phone. To me the D7000 is pretty much the winner of the 'most all rounded' phone award; I struggled to think of the weaknesses the D7000 has and I seriously can't think of any. Is the D7000 worth the asking price? To me I'll still take the Edition 9 over the D7000, as I like the jawbreaking speed of the Edition 9 more, but this topic is to dispute all claims that the D7000 is a slight improvement from the D5000. Those looking for something that can do everything should be happy with the D7000.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 48
The D7000's are slight improvement to those who have interest in modyfing both models for $$$. This is my guess only but comparing different opinions it looks like this. No-one would tell you his mods don't make sense since the D7000's appeared. Sure it's worth considering to grab cheaper, modified headphones instead of more expensive stock model.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 48
I have the 5000's and I'm still having a hard time finding the "Bloat" in the bass.
The closest thing to a bloat That I can hear is the forward upper bass's (Baritones) But I really like that. I like to feel like I'm right next to the Strings and tuned drums and tympanys.But as my tastes tend to favor instrumental acoustics and soundtracks, I can see where the Rock and Techno can get a little "Bass Fatiguing" I will upgrade to the 7000's soon.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 48
If JR would ship my d7000's I could tell you my impressions I highly doubt that they do not sound better than the d5000sa

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 48
Like I wrote in another thread...I found D7000, to be much different then D5000 which I tried before. Bass is not that boomy (but very well controlled) , treble have better extension and overall offer more details. The headphones sound clearer, opened, not muddy...even that they are not burned yet. D7000 sound amazing just out of box, which I can't tell about D5000.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 48
I like the D7000 more than D5000, but at the 11/1 Colorado head-fi meet they sounded remarkably similar to my APS V2 cabled D2000, with just a tad less treble extension than the APS D2000. The mids didn't seem to be better to me or the other people there, but all we had to compare to was the APS D2000. I really liked the D7000 and I imagine a re-cabled one would be even better, except for one with upgraded wood cups to bring out the mids and soundstage more.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The treble in the D2000 was weird. At times it was perfect, as times it hurt.

Yes, it is a little "off" with the stock cable. I'm one of those that feels first place award for MUST RECABLE HEADPHONES goes to HFI-780, but second place is the D2000 in terms of biggest gains from a cable. Everyone recables the HD600, but it is not as desperate for a better cable as these two.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 48
I listen to my D7000 with Duet Apogee...I actually cannot say anything bad about it...there just isn't any weaknesses to my ear...everything is above my expectation...
Bass super well controlled and definite, treble clear, crisp and well extended...Midrange is also excellent~super balanced headphone with everything excellent~oh soundstage is huge~...I love listen to symphonies with denon...Ohhh boy...
but I seriously, love any genre musics with denon...everything sounds real good...

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 48
Compared to stock D2000's, I think the biggest difference with the D7000's is the much clearer and more forward mid range. There's also more bass impact and control on the D7000's but I don't think there's as much bass extension on the D7000 (noticed this on only really low notes).

Overall though, the stock D7000 is definitely a noticeable upgrade to the D2000.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 48
well i'd be keen to compare D7000 stock to my MD2000 with jena 18AWG jena re-cable and lawnton audio tasmanian blackwood woodies. I suspect it would be a very close call. apparently the tasmanian Blackwood has similar sig to your mahogany cups HA. I was recommended the mahogany and the blackwood for my music tastes because I value soundstage and extension over slam. I chose the blackwood, because not only does it look beautiful and supposedly sound just like I want (they wont be ready for a few weeks, because its a custom build in the new Gen 4 shape cups), I also wanted a contrast to the colour of the jena wire instead of the colour being similar but not the same, so could clash, also I didnt want to have the same as you HA, wanted something different that provided the sound I was after and it also happens to be a native wood to OZ as well, so all round winner for me.

it all starts tomorrow; my modded D2000 with regular cups will be here, then time do do the re-cable, I dont know if I want to do a 3' or 5' cable yet mostly I would be using it with my lisa III either with a transportable rig, or out of my RME line out to the lisa with LLP.

anyone else compared woodied/re-cabled MD2000 to D7000?? this way i'm hoping I should get a tailored SQ thats close to the quality of D7000 for considerably less as well as having a gorgeous look too

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i'd be keen to compare D7000 stock to my MD2000 with jena 18AWG jena re-cable and lawnton audio tasmanian blackwood woodies. I suspect it would be a very close call. apparently the tasmanian Blackwood has similar sig to your mahogany cups HA. I was recommended the mahogany and the blackwood for my music tastes because I value soundstage and extension over slam. I chose the blackwood, because not only does it look beautiful and supposedly sound just like I want (they wont be ready for a few weeks, because its a custom build in the new Gen 4 shape cups), I also wanted a contrast to the colour of the jena wire instead of the colour being similar but not the same, so could clash, also I didnt want to have the same as you HA, wanted something different that provided the sound I was after and it also happens to be a native wood to OZ as well, so all round winner for me.

it all starts tomorrow; my modded D2000 with regular cups will be here, then time do do the re-cable, I dont know if I want to do a 3' or 5' cable yet mostly I would be using it with my lisa III either with a transportable rig, or out of my RME line out to the lisa with LLP.

anyone else compared woodied/re-cabled MD2000 to D7000?? this way i'm hoping I should get a tailored SQ thats close to the quality of D7000 for considerably less as well as having a gorgeous look too

I would never use a 3' cable - way too short to move around, even with the amp right in front of you. I would go 50-60" at the least, and personally picked 6' for my RS-1, D2000, Edition 9, etc. although I do have a 4' for HD600 that I bought used and it works although anything shorter would drive me nuts.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought the MD2000 with a Jena recable went for around $1200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back