The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #5,041 of 5,313
I'm about to buy a used WM1Z and I don't know if it's worth it. I also have a WM1A with firmware, MR. Walkman

I don't know, if the change between the WM1Z and WM1A(mod) would be a positive change? Because the WM1A(mod) can already emulate the sound of the WM1Z, is it really close to the sound or is it just a little similar? :thinking:
The mod is just software. You can not replace hardware with software.

But the WM1AM2 is considered superior to the WM1Z, so if you're thinking about getting an WM1Z, I'd highly recommend getting an WM1AM2. Even Sony says it's better

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #5,042 of 5,313
Getting ready to go away and take the WM1Z/Utopia headphones with me - using the 1Z as a DAC connected to my iPhone.
Duh - the lightbulb just went off - my new iPhone 15 Pro Max has USB C. The Apple CCK kit I always used will not work. I have a 3rd party USB C hub which will allow me to connect the Sony walkman/USB A cable. It works however it is rather large.

Does anyone have a slimline solution I can source from Amazon US (in stock)

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #5,043 of 5,313
Owning a WM1Z is not just about the sound. It's about owning one of Sony's best-ever Walkman products, and a masterpiece of design and engineering. Just comparing 1A and 1Z on the basis of sound, well, that's everyone's right. For me, pride of ownership - along with incredible sound - is what owning a WM1Z is all about.
I posted recently about considering the mod, but at the end of the day ultimately I was happy to have the 1Z for the exact reasons you stated. There is often a lot of knocking down of the WM1Z, and at full retail price I can understand - I was lucky to get a very low sale price as I otherwise would have not bought one.
I love the idea of taking something from stock form and improving upon it, whether it be changing a cable, tips, firmware, or hardware. On the other side, for all the things dismissed about the 1A/1Z differences I'm sure the designers didn't just chuck them in for the sake of it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #5,045 of 5,313
I'm about to buy a used WM1Z and I don't know if it's worth it. I also have a WM1A with firmware, MR. Walkman

I don't know, if the change between the WM1Z and WM1A(mod) would be a positive change? Because the WM1A(mod) can already emulate the sound of the WM1Z, is it really close to the sound or is it just a little similar? :thinking:
I have the 1A and !z. Both are running MrWalkman Region J3, Plus v2 and 1Z tuning. The difference is the 1Z has a much larger soundstage and the bass goes lower with better details.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #5,046 of 5,313
Thanks for the answers, since it is 2024, I have to purchase some Sony product this year.

Since I already have the WM1A (MR.Walkman Mod) I don't know if the change is worth it.

Another interest is to buy the Sony IER-Z1R, which could replace the purchase of the WM1Z, I don't know if the change justifies buying the WM1Z or buying the IER-Z1R as a companion in my collection.

Anyway later I could also purchase the WM1Z

My iems at home are: Monarch Mk2, Fiio FH7

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #5,047 of 5,313
Thanks for the answers, since it is 2024, I have to purchase some Sony product this year.

Since I already have the WM1A (MR.Walkman Mod) I don't know if the change is worth it.

Another interest is to buy the Sony Z1R, which could replace the purchase of the WM1Z, I don't know if the change justifies buying the WM1Z or buying the Z1R as a companion in my collection.

Are you talking about the MDR-Z1R or IER-Z1R?

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #5,049 of 5,313

The IER Z1R is end-game for bass lovers. Nice technicalities and soundstage too. Mids are quite recessed though, so not for midrange lovers.

But the biggest issue: a lot of consumers have issues with the fit. I auditioned it thrice and brought along 10 types of tips and still couldn't get a proper fit, so I would suggest it is best if you can audition it first.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #5,050 of 5,313
The IER Z1R is end-game for bass lovers. Nice technicalities and soundstage too. Mids are quite recessed though, so not for midrange lovers.

But the biggest issue: a lot of consumers have issues with the fit. I auditioned it thrice and brought along 10 types of tips and still couldn't get a proper fit, so I would suggest it is best if you can audition it first.
Absolutely, can't agree more. If there is no chance to audition it first, you should maybe investing in the IER-M9 and add the IER-Z1R later to your collection when you had the chance to test it for a few hours. It can be very painful when you're not able to fit them well and completely take away the joy of using them.

But yes, rather buy a good IEM before upgrading your DAP.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #5,051 of 5,313

Another interest is to buy the Sony IER-Z1R, which could replace the purchase of the WM1Z, I don't know if the change justifies buying the WM1Z or buying the IER-Z1R as a companion in my collection.

hows the monarch mk2 pairing with wm1a, planning to get one

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #5,052 of 5,313
hows the monarch mk2 pairing with wm1a, planning to get one
A great revealing earphone especially highlights the mid frequencies :relieved: , the voices are so close that if you have it a lot it looks like the youtubers who do ASMR,

On the other hand being neutral a warm DAP is needed a WM1z is a candidate, like a good EA Code 23 copper cable which can better the bass range

My WM1A sounds great if I had a WM1Z it is much better

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #5,053 of 5,313
I find the the Sony NW-WM1Z/Shure SRH1540 headphones combination the best I have. I always go balanced.

20240128_185435.jpg20240128_185353.jpg

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #5,055 of 5,313
Thinking about getting a 1A or a 1Z to use with my iPhone 15 to get streaming capabilities at home. Does anyone use any of the models together with any of the latest 15-series iPhones with the new USB-C port? Let me hear your impresions, any issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back