The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #4,936 of 5,314
Hi all, I'd like to ask for advice
So, I found a used ZX300 (full set) for about 220$ and a used WM1A for 400$ (unit and cable only). Both sellers claim both unit battery are still great.
Which one do you guys think I should get?
Currently I'm using NW A55 (Mr Walkman mod). I'm quite happy with the sound, but looking for an upgrade (sound & battery wise). Since the A55 battery is already degrading (7-8 hours playback)
Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Obviously, 1A is better, but I think that at that price, you may get a full-box 1A in mint condition. As you upgrade from A55, the size and weight of 1A may not portable as you used with A55, ZX300 is more portable. If I were you, I would wait for another deal of 1A or get ZX300 for a while, then upgrade to 1A later when found a great deal.

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #4,937 of 5,314
So, I found a used ZX300 (full set) for about 220$ and a used WM1A for 400$ (unit and cable only). Both sellers claim both unit battery are still great.
Currently I'm using NW A55 (Mr Walkman mod). I'm quite happy with the sound, but looking for an upgrade (sound & battery wise). Since the A55 battery is already degrading (7-8 hours playback)

Definitely WM1A.

And upgrade it with the free Mr Walkman mod for even better sound!

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #4,938 of 5,314
I agree with the previous post is "great" defined, it may be necessary wherever you purchase to pay for a battery replacement at some point (i.e. sealed battery modern electronic will lose capacity over time to 'some extent'). The hours play counter can be reset to nil so that is not a guide

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4,939 of 5,314
I would go 1A and then send it to Nayparm for his mod including larger and longer lasting battery

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #4,940 of 5,314

If you plan to have a dap on the go, I would consider the ZX300. If you want the better sound, go for 1A, although I do agree that it’s best to look for a better deal, at 400$ you may score a full box unit. I have both but keep the 1A at home only - YMMV. Prior to getting the 1A for home usage I have only the ZX300 for outdoor. 1A has a magic that makes music sound very organic, but it’s a tad heavy

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #4,941 of 5,314
1A, if you're upgrading, might aswell go all the way

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #4,942 of 5,314

bargain if you don't get it please send me the link i may buy it myself

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #4,943 of 5,314
Got my npaudio modified wm1a, along with mrwalkman SW (bright/dmp, mx3, plus mode v2, high gain = 1, dac initialization = 1)

Absolute endgame, can't get any better than this.. just brilliant sound quality, everything is improved quite significantly, biggest changes are staging depth, resolution, micro details, seperation, coherence and extension on both ends. It's like I went from full HD to 2k-4k.

This is the best audio device I've ever heard, I haven't dabbled too much with desktop gear but from the portable realm I've tried a good bunch of gear (ifi diablo, n6ii with all motherboards except a02, ibasso dx320, some dongles, hifiman hm1000, r2r2000 red and modded black), Modded 1a trumps them all and reveals details I've never heard along with damn near pitch black background (the smallest hiss is heard when using sensitive 4ba iems)

If anyone is looking for a totl portable for local files, do yourself a favor and get your 1a modded. PXL_20231214_122707581.jpg

As you can see nayparm also included a special cut using an image of my cat as a memorial, he is a terrific person. (He also included changes in FW to include pictures of her!)
img1-mika-basket-BOOTANI.pngscreenshot-20160101-022416242.png

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #4,944 of 5,314
Got my npaudio modified wm1a, along with mrwalkman SW (bright/dmp, mx3, plus mode v2, high gain = 1, dac initialization = 1)

Absolute endgame, can't get any better than this.. just brilliant sound quality, everything is improved quite significantly, biggest changes are staging depth, resolution, micro details, seperation, coherence and extension on both ends. It's like I went from full HD to 2k-4k.

This is the best audio device I've ever heard, I haven't dabbled too much with desktop gear but from the portable realm I've tried a good bunch of gear (ifi diablo, n6ii with all motherboards except a02, ibasso dx320, some dongles, hifiman hm1000, r2r2000 red and modded black), Modded 1a trumps them all and reveals details I've never heard along with damn near pitch black background (the smallest hiss is heard when using sensitive 4ba iems)

If anyone is looking for a totl portable for local files, do yourself a favor and get your 1a modded.PXL_20231214_122707581.jpg

As you can see nayparm also included a special cut using an image of my cat as a memorial, he is a terrific person. (He also included changes in FW to include pictures of her!)
img1-mika-basket-BOOTANI.pngscreenshot-20160101-022416242.png
Wow, this is very touching he was able to add such details for you. Thank you for sharing.

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #4,946 of 5,314
I tried sony music center for pc, as my intention was to replace Media Go.

I lo.
I loaded my whole library (68,743 songs/ 1.65TB)... upon load no cover art shown. Despite having it embbeded on files.
You cannot search fot example, George Frideric Handel... will spit that search sis not find anything

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #4,947 of 5,314
I tried sony music center for pc, as my intention was to replace Media Go.

I lo.
I loaded my whole library (68,743 songs/ 1.65TB)... upon load no cover art shown. Despite having it embbeded on files.
You cannot search fot example, George Frideric Handel... will spit that search sis not find anything
Go to details, check the tab for cover art. You can ask for a new cover or convert an existing one.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #4,948 of 5,314
Go to details, check the tab for cover art. You can ask for a new cover or convert an existing one.
I deleted the cache, re-imported on a small batch of songs, and suddenly it can find when I type Handel or Buxtehude. It also added the cover art automatically..
Seems to be a performance Jesu within music center being too slow to index such a big library like mine

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #4,949 of 5,314

If anyone is looking for a totl portable for local files, do yourself a favor and get your 1a modded.

I'm sorry for your loss of Mika - we had to put down one of our cats this year due to illness. This was Momo, poaching my MDR-Z1R case:

1000002298.jpg

Reading your feedback reminds me that I would like to have had my WM1A Nayparm modded, but the reality was the all-up cost including shipping and taxes, and the shipping risks at that time during Covid meant it wasn't an option. I managed to get a good price on a WM1Z as the new models were just released. I am totally satisfied with a stock 1Z - I hope that the copper chassis offers some 'magic sauce' benefits as some consolation.

To anyone in Japan or who visited recently: are the demo iems at e earphone still mostly 3.5mm. The last time I visited it was 5 years ago, I was hoping as 4.4mm has become more common I'll be able to demo using 4.4mm without having to ask staff for cable swaps all the time.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #4,950 of 5,314
I'm sorry for your loss of Mika - we had to put down one of our cats this year due to illness. This was Momo, poaching my MDR-Z1R case:

1000002298.jpg
Reading your feedback reminds me that I would like to have had my WM1A Nayparm modded, but the reality was the all-up cost including shipping and taxes, and the shipping risks at that time during Covid meant it wasn't an option. I managed to get a good price on a WM1Z as the new models were just released. I am totally satisfied with a stock 1Z - I hope that the copper chassis offers some 'magic sauce' benefits as some consolation.

To anyone in Japan or who visited recently: are the demo iems at e earphone still mostly 3.5mm. The last time I visited it was 5 years ago, I was hoping as 4.4mm has become more common I'll be able to demo using 4.4mm without having to ask staff for cable swaps all the time.
I am sure momo and mika will meet in cat heaven and be great friends! Looks like you gave him the best life a cat could get :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back