The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Aug 23, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #4,816 of 5,322
Hi,

I'm about to get one of these players. I wanted to ask however: is it recommended to get a Japanese non-capped version (in which case the menu needs to be converted to English) or a European capped player (in which case it needs to remove the cap) - which of the two is less complex/makes more sense?

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #4,817 of 5,322
Hi,

I'm about to get one of these players. I wanted to ask however: is it recommended to get a Japanese non-capped version (in which case the menu needs to be converted to English) or a European capped player (in which case it needs to remove the cap) - which of the two is less complex/makes more sense?
Does not matter since it can all be changed either with the rockbox nwdest tool or by installing MrWalkman’s WalkmanOne custom fw. This as opposed to the newer Android players where it can’t be changed

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #4,820 of 5,322
Curious, just how good is the WM1Z in BT mode? In the event I want to stream music through qobuz, is it better to just get WM1A-M2 or just stream out of my phone into the WM1Z via BT?
1Z has LDAC, so if you have an Android phone I think it is better than WM1A-M2 since you can control the music remotely from your phone, and let the DAP stay on the desk

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #4,821 of 5,322
1Z has LDAC, so if you have an Android phone I think it is better than WM1A-M2 since you can control the music remotely from your phone, and let the DAP stay on the desk
Yup, I just wanted to make sure that even with LDAC, I wasn't compromising the SQ as much as compared to just getting an M2 and running the streaming app directly out of it.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #4,822 of 5,322
Yup, I just wanted to make sure that even with LDAC, I wasn't compromising the SQ as much as compared to just getting an M2 and running the streaming app directly out of it.
To me, 1Z is still better than 1AM2 in terms of sound: depth, width, and the low frequencies

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #4,823 of 5,322
You are. Bluetooth does introduce noise and LDAC isn't perfect either, far from it. Even in the 990kbps mode, you will have an SNR from about 20-30db, so on quiet songs, the noise is audible and the distortion is pretty high, especially with multitone and especially in the bass.

You will still have the Walkman typical sound of the WM1Z, but the sound quality is below an smartphone with an good headphone jack.

So the sound quality of LDAC over direct streaming is significantly lower. I still hope the LDAC receiver mode is coming with the 2.0 Update (The WM1 didn't had it from the beginning too and it came with an update) because it is more comfortable to control the music via the phone, but i would rather hope for an remote control software than an bluetooth receiver mode. That would keep the high sound quality and add the comfort

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #4,824 of 5,322
You will still have the Walkman typical sound of the WM1Z, but the sound quality is below an smartphone with an good headphone jack.
Don't agree with this at all based on my own testing. WM1Z via LDAC Receiver mode is significantly better than my LG V60 though a wired IEM with the same IEM.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #4,825 of 5,322
I never tested the LG V60 so i can not comment on that. But my Xperia and Aquos so far had significantly less noise than the Walkman in LDAC mode.

Also i remember its not able to control the volume which was annoying too. But that is a common issue with a lot of bluetooth receivers.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #4,826 of 5,322
I never tested the LG V60 so i can not comment on that. But my Xperia and Aquos so far had significantly less noise than the Walkman in LDAC mode.

Also i remember its not able to control the volume which was annoying too. But that is a common issue with a lot of bluetooth receivers.
not sure about you, But i personally first put the phone volume on highest and only then adjust the wm1a's volume, that way there's much less noise.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #4,827 of 5,322
not sure about you, But i personally first put the phone volume on highest and only then adjust the wm1a's volume, that way there's much less noise.
Yes, this is a must for any BT connection. Phone volume must be at 100% and only adjust with the DAP.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #4,828 of 5,322
Absolutely, yes. The noise from BT is so high, that you absolutely have to go to 100%. You want every last single bit input volume so you have to amplify as less as possible.

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,829 of 5,322
WM1A + utopia
image.jpg

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #4,830 of 5,322
I just got an 1A player: very interesting, possibly the best portable sound I've come across, the sound is detailed, airy, with good ambience, sounds like a good CD player. Having said that with Direct Sound and my (neutral) headphones (B&O H6) it sounds thin in a lot of cases (ie the instruments lacking substance) and I need to equalize a lot to address it. Is this the profile of this player, is it the pairing with the headphones? Shall I go to DrWalkman firmware (I'm currently on 3.02), thanks for your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back