The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 22, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #3,466 of 5,418
Is there a way in the player to check the region? I switched in the CFW settings, but was wondering if I can check if it applied? I also put the icons on green, but that didn't seem to happen.
You can use the nwdest rockbox tool to check the region and it also shows in the boot log file from the WalkmanOne fw as does all the settings. The icon colour change is subtle but noticeable

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #3,467 of 5,418
You can use the nwdest rockbox tool to check the region and it also shows in the boot log file from the WalkmanOne fw as does all the settings. The icon colour change is subtle but noticeable

I'm a bit colour blind, for me they all look white/grey :jecklinsmile:. I can see in the boot file it applied. But I'm pretty sure it ddin't work, I tried all colours..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,468 of 5,418
I'm a bit colour blind, for me they all look white/grey :jecklinsmile:. I can see in the boot file it applied. But I'm pretty sure it ddin't work, I tried all colours..
After changing the setting you need to reboot the player. It works for me both on 1Z and A55 but the colours are subtle, not pang neon colours

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,469 of 5,418
I did that, I see some more in the boot file I don't understand.

I says it has the neutral setting, but further down is says it didn't apply the tuning?

# February 22 (2022) - 20:22
# Booting [Walkman One] on a WM1A player
# Battery level: 68% (3.92 V)

=> Settings file (settings.txt) was found!

# Checking the sound signature settings...
=> The [SIG] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The in-use sound signature (Neutral) matches the sound signature set in the settings file (Neutral).
- Sound signature change not needed!

# Reading the rest of the settings...
=> The region set in the settings file, [CEW], is valid.
=> The [REM] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [PMV] setting was found in the settings file (2).
=> The [PMD] setting was found in the settings file (1).
=> The [GMD] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [DIM] setting was found in the settings file (0).
=> The [COL] setting was found in the settings file (1).

# Applying settings...
=> The 'Remote option with any region' setting is Off.
=> Settings region is [CEW], device region is [CEW], region change not needed.

# The [Neutral] tuning was not applied to the device.
# Please apply the [Neutral] tuning to complete the installation.
=> Loading default settings for this situation...
- Normal (no tuning) mode initialized.
- Normal gain initialized.
- Normal DAC mode initialized.

# Settings processor task is finished.
# This is the complete boot #20 since this firmware was installed.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,472 of 5,418
If you switched it in settings then that’s what it is. No other way to confirm other than to recheck it.
Is there a way in the player to check the region? I switched in the CFW settings, but was wondering if I can check if it applied? I also put the icons on green, but that didn't seem to happen.
Edit:
Never thought of using the Rockbox Tool!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #3,473 of 5,418
Does anyone know if the 1A/!Z (when used with the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable) supplies the +5VDC necessary to trigger some USB receiver chips on external DACs?

Thanks,

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #3,476 of 5,418
Trying the neutral/CEW they are growing on me :ksc75smile:

There are so many combinations. Is there somewhere a guideline what each region does with the sound
Screenshot_335.png

Something to check out, when it comes to regions. Will also attach the file.

Credit to: @Mindstorms

Attachments

• Walkman_Region_Chart.xlsx
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #3,477 of 5,418
Nope. Need to connect to pc and download the rockbox tool to check or change region.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #3,478 of 5,418
Nope. Need to connect to pc and download the rockbox tool to check or change region.

Yep - you can check the boot log file on the Walkman One firmware, or change the region from the settings file.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #3,479 of 5,418
Yep - you can check the boot log file on the Walkman One firmware, or change the region from the settings file.
Oh ok. Forgot about the walman one firmware.

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #3,480 of 5,418
Screenshot_335.png
Something to check out, when it comes to regions. Will also attach the file.

Credit to: @Mindstorms
Please don't forget to also point out the samples i recorded from my WM1Z.

I posted some samples i did with E, J and MX3.

Listening to those samples and analiysing them in Audacity shows absolutely no difference, they sound identical.

Afaik the development Team of the Walkman will answer this question about the region codes in their upcoming interview in march about the WM1 M2 releases. They seem to have noticed that there are a lot of myths going around the net and it seems that they want to share an official statement about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back