The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 20, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #3,436 of 5,418
Still on Stock FW and everything, but IMO I quite like how it sound already, it drives my T1 way better than my Shanling m3s and that's despite the spec of their bal output being quite close in power.
Heck IMO I think the walkman just became my best source ever, sure it doesn't have the raw grunt the Topping has, but it's way more compatible with all my multi BA IEM and heck even my T1 sound the best it's ever been being driven with the 4.4mm. :)
Sure most probably honeymoon bias but still there's no regret in my mind at all purchasing the WM1A
Now all you need is an IER-M9 to make the package complete.

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #3,437 of 5,418
As nice as Lotoo Paw Gold Touch is, it didn't come close to knocking the King off his perch. My King is the Sony NW-WM1Z. LPGT is a very nice neutral source for evaluating headphones.

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #3,438 of 5,418
Hmm that's the thing, I'm not sure I need any more IEM with how good the IER is to me, heck it basically murder any other iem I have in my collection in almost every way, the only one left are niche tuning like Audio Technica's female vocal that I love exclusively for Jpop.
Will look around, I know that the M9 is very different and are gonna be way more comfortable, but even in the latter one, I don't have any problem with. So yeah.

I'm just a tad afraid of bringing it around everywhere, it itself equates to a pretty good motorcycle in my country :stuck_out_tongue:
So not sure whether buying another expensive IEM is gonna solve that problem for me, that's the reason I still keep all my under 300 usd stuff, they are things I'd cry less over if they ever lost/ breaks. And IMO even they all got less ear time than my WF-SP900. My next purchase is either a good tws adapter or an anc tws IMO. I'm just waiting for my current one's battery to drain so much it basically became unusable.
It's actually a Swimmable TWS and it has a BA in it as it need to be completely sealed, I was surprised at how good the driver inside is after slight EQ.

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,439 of 5,418
Hmm that's the thing, I'm not sure I need any more IEM with how good the IER is to me, heck it basically murder any other iem I have in my collection in almost every way, the only one left are niche tuning like Audio Technica's female vocal that I love exclusively for Jpop.
Will look around, I know that the M9 is very different and are gonna be way more comfortable, but even in the latter one, I don't have any problem with. So yeah.

I'm just a tad afraid of bringing it around everywhere, it itself equates to a pretty good motorcycle in my country :stuck_out_tongue:
So not sure whether buying another expensive IEM is gonna solve that problem for me, that's the reason I still keep all my under 300 usd stuff, they are things I'd cry less over if they ever lost/ breaks. And IMO even they all got less ear time than my WF-SP900. My next purchase is either a good tws adapter or an anc tws IMO. I'm just waiting for my current one's battery to drain so much it basically became unusable.
It's actually a Swimmable TWS and it has a BA in it as it need to be completely sealed, I was surprised at how good the driver inside is after slight EQ.
I love finally finding gear you love.

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #3,440 of 5,418

The IER-M9 is way lighter, smaller and isolates like earplugs. So it's rather different use case. In terms of technicalities it's even superior to the Z1R but more balanced. You can imagine it as a warmer version of the Z1R without the unique stereo like sound. You get some, you loose some.

But it's an unique sound that does everything but disappoint.

Its from the exact same guy that made the IER-Z1R

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #3,441 of 5,418
You could if he also wires the ground to the 4.4 connector. Then you can use an adapter that goes uses L+, R+, and ground of the balanced connector.
Probably not. The Sony 3.5mm can output a pseudo balance, with separated Grds, which has nothing to do with the 4.4 balanced output. See the reference to HifiMan spec. The DAP detects if the 3.5mm plug is TRS or TRRS and switches to separated GRD when it detects TRRS. I still have a TRRS cable wired for this, which I used on the ZX2.

I am guessing that the TRRS separated GRD is permanently wired in by the mod, and the detector to switch from TRS to TRRS has been left out. It should be possible to use an adapter to convert 3.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS by combining the L- and R- signals together.

1645383510796.png

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,442 of 5,418
Probably not. The Sony 3.5mm can output a pseudo balance, with separated Grds, which has nothing to do with the 4.4 balanced output. See the reference to HifiMan spec. The DAP detects if the 3.5mm plug is TRS or TRRS and switches to separated GRD when it detects TRRS. I still have a TRRS cable wired for this, which I used on the ZX2.

I am guessing that the TRRS separated GRD is permanently wired in by the mod, and the detector to switch from TRS to TRRS has been left out. It should be possible to use an adapter to convert 3.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS by combining the L- and R- signals together.

1645383510796.png
The 3.5 in the mod is wired to the same 4 terminals that the 4.4 gets it’s signal from so is fully balanced. The tip in the 4.4 (which is not used by Sony) in the mod is wired to the ground from the 3.5 and can then with a correctly wired adaptor be used to drive single ended phones.

The stock 3.5 has indeed Sony’s implementation of seperate ground which gives several of the benefits of balanced but is not balanced. They also had this in the ZX2, don’t know about the ZX1 or other ZX players.

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,443 of 5,418
The 3.5 in the mod is wired to the same 4 terminals that the 4.4 gets it’s signal from so is fully balanced. The tip in the 4.4 (which is not used by Sony) in the mod is wired to the ground from the 3.5 and can then with a correctly wired adaptor be used to drive single ended phones.

The stock 3.5 has indeed Sony’s implementation of seperate ground which gives several of the benefits of balanced but is not balanced. They also had this in the ZX2, don’t know about the ZX1 or other ZX players.
Interesting, but strange, as there are not many 3.5mm TRRS cables, as it never caught on. But there are a ton of 2.5mm cables.

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #3,445 of 5,418
Maybe a one off as he said that one was at a customer request as they had 3.5mm balanced hifiman spec cables as well as 4.4mm. i guess 2.5mm would be possible too.
2.5 might be harder as there probably are no plug surrounds that would fit on the WM.

It is not a one off but V4 of the mod

8B4507DD-CE8C-4A6E-B83C-ADE00E7535DC.jpeg

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,447 of 5,418
Feb 20, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #3,448 of 5,418
Are most people on 3.02?
I think a lot of people are on MrWalkman's firmware. I switched to his firmware soon after I got the WM1A and have never turned back. Every one of his firmware is an improvement over the stock Sony firmware. I'm currently on WalkmanOne, Neutral tuning, MX3 region.

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #3,449 of 5,418
I think a lot of people are on MrWalkman's firmware. I switched to his firmware soon after I got the WM1A and have never turned back. Every one of his firmware is an improvement over the stock Sony firmware. I'm currently on WalkmanOne, Neutral tuning, MX3 region.
I have the same settings right now. Only own the WM1A since a week. It's still not to my liking yet.

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #3,450 of 5,418

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back