The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #2,597 of 5,322
Nov 19, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,598 of 5,322
Nov 20, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #2,599 of 5,322
Do you guys know the official Sony Manga?

This is for example the one that was released back when the WM1A/Z were new and shows the differences between the two models and compares them to the ZX2

I think they are quite amusing, but only in Japanese

https://scs-uda.com/nw-wm1z_nw-wm1a_review.html

The Android ZX2 had, by the way, longer battery life then the WM1A/Z and the ZX100 even longer.

I've read several reviews complaining about the bad battery life if the WM1 series and today, people think it's one of the best^^

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #2,600 of 5,322
Any of you guys ever had a change to directly compare the ZH1ES against one of the portable solutions 1Z or 507? The Z1 is undoutebly THE top performer on the market and it’s price is out of range for most of us but if the ZH1ES is quite a bit better then the portable 1Z for example, then it’s a very good option that rarely gets all the attention it would deserve.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,601 of 5,322
I had the ZH1ES several years ago but ultimately sold it and kept my 1Z portable. For me the Z1 was slightly dark sounding and I found the 1Z better. The 1Z costs quite a bit more than the ZH1 so that may tell you what Sony thinks as well

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,602 of 5,322
Any of you guys ever had a change to directly compare the ZH1ES against one of the portable solutions 1Z or 507? The Z1 is undoutebly THE top performer on the market and it’s price is out of range for most of us but if the ZH1ES is quite a bit better then the portable 1Z for example, then it’s a very good option that rarely gets all the attention it would deserve.
I’ve got both and like both equally much but for 2 different use cases

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,603 of 5,322
I own all three of them.

ZX507 --> WM1: big difference, you instantly hear it. The WM1 is better in every single aspect.

WM1A --> WM1Z: tiny difference. Mostly different than better

WM1 --> TA-ZH1ES: small difference. You can hear it (I can hear it best with the IER-M9) but it's not a big difference. But it is better. If you're used to the WM1 and know how it sounds, the difference gets bigger and you notice it more and more.

If you're mostly listening at home I'd say get the TA-ZH1ES. If you want the same quality outside your house and at home, get the WM1A.

If you have the money for both, get both.

Only get the WM1Z when you can afford it without thinking about it. If you have the money to spend and don't care, get it but if budget plays a role, get the WM1A

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,604 of 5,322
I own all three of them.

ZX507 --> WM1: big difference, you instantly hear it. The WM1 is better in every single aspect.

WM1A --> WM1Z: tiny difference. Mostly different than better

WM1 --> TA-ZH1ES: small difference. You can hear it (I can hear it best with the IER-M9) but it's not a big difference. But it is better. If you're used to the WM1 and know how it sounds, the difference gets bigger and you notice it more and more.

If you're mostly listening at home I'd say get the TA-ZH1ES. If you want the same quality outside your house and at home, get the WM1A.

If you have the money for both, get both.

Only get the WM1Z when you can afford it without thinking about it. If you have the money to spend and don't care, get it but if budget plays a role, get the WM1A
That’s good thanks. When you compare the WM1 series versus the ZH1ES, is it always with IEM or some big cans as well? I’m not into cranking the volume very loud at all, for example the 507 drives my Meze Empyrean to a volume level that is plenty for me. However, when I compare the 507/Empyrean combo to my desktop tube DAC/AMP combo then it is no match at all sound quality wise. And my desktop combo is in the same ballpark as the price of the ZH1ES, it’s an Orchid DAC and a Unison SH amp. So I wonder if the WM1Z would have the same type of results sounding as good as the ZH1ES if using big cans and not IEM.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,605 of 5,322
That’s good thanks. When you compare the WM1 series versus the ZH1ES, is it always with IEM or some big cans as well? I’m not into cranking the volume very loud at all, for example the 507 drives my Meze Empyrean to a volume level that is plenty for me. However, when I compare the 507/Empyrean combo to my desktop tube DAC/AMP combo then it is no match at all sound quality wise. And my desktop combo is in the same ballpark as the price of the ZH1ES, it’s an Orchid DAC and a Unison SH amp. So I wonder if the WM1Z would have the same type of results sounding as good as the ZH1ES if using big cans and not IEM.
I'm using my TA-ZH1ES 90% of the time with the MDR-Z1R

The IER-M9 are the best I have in terms of technicality so I use them for such comparisons, but I use them almost exclusively with the WM1Z

To my experience, it doesn't matter what you plug into the WM1Z. It performs with cans as good as with IEMs.

But you should be aware that some headphones don't perform well with Sonys Sound Signature. Sony DAP/AMP are mainly designed with Sony Receivers in mind.

So if you're not satisfied with the ZX507, you might be disappointed with the WM1Z too.

Most cans perform best with neutral/flat sources so you might rather look at something like the M11 Plus LTD

Or get the MDR-Z1R :p

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,606 of 5,322
I'm using my TA-ZH1ES 90% of the time with the MDR-Z1R

The IER-M9 are the best I have in terms of technicality so I use them for such comparisons, but I use them almost exclusively with the WM1Z

To my experience, it doesn't matter what you plug into the WM1Z. It performs with cans as good as with IEMs.

But you should be aware that some headphones don't perform well with Sonys Sound Signature. Sony DAP/AMP are mainly designed with Sony Receivers in mind.

So if you're not satisfied with the ZX507, you might be disappointed with the WM1Z too.

Most cans perform best with neutral/flat sources so you might rather look at something like the M11 Plus LTD

Or get the MDR-Z1R :p

My FiiO FH3 and JVC SZ2000 sounds great on the 1A, better resolution than on my other DAP's. The Sony A45 and Cowon PD. And that's from the 3.5mm output

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #2,607 of 5,322
Yes I believe this firm is linked to from Sony's website.
So I guess nobody has yet to replace their battery? Are people still getting good battery life? My 1Z has minimal hours on it since 2017 however I believe battery life also degrades with time.
I had my WM1Z in early 2017 and it passed 5,300 hours today. It still performs 15-16 hours (usually 1/3 redbook flac, 1/3 hi-res flac, 1/3 DSD64) per charge. I just checked with local Sony Services center, battery replacement for WM1Z cost around US$120.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,608 of 5,322
There are two optiona on WM1 players that DMP-Z1 does not have
1) Beep tone, thank god
2) the checkbox to enable/disable native DSD Playback

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #2,610 of 5,322
I had the ZH1ES several years ago but ultimately sold it and kept my 1Z portable. For me the Z1 was slightly dark sounding and I found the 1Z better. The 1Z costs quite a bit more than the ZH1 so that may tell you what Sony thinks as well
I feel exactly the same about the ZH1ES sound vs 1Z sound. To me the ZH1 have just more output but 1Z is the purer, cleaner and overall better sounding device of both. Indeed the walkman designers at Sony said in an interview that with the DMP-Z1 the goal was have the 1Z sound but with more power and they said it was something very difficult to achieve.
BTW I have owned two WM1A and two WM1Z (now I own my second 1Z, currently listed in classifieds :ksc75smile:) and to me the 1Z is clearly and without doubt the very best sounding device of both. The difference is less than the difference in price suggest but, although is not big, its effect is profound.
Once you listened and live with the 1Z sound for some time it’s very difficult to going back to the 1A sound. You missed ”something”…There is something very special in the 1Z sound. Something that always remind me of good tape reels and vinyl rigs sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back