The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 18, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,191 of 5,322
How do you like the M11 Plus LTD? Mine is coming today.
I'm selling my WM1Z right now^^ that should answer your question.

But it's actually not that simple. I wouldn't say it's the better DAP, I just prefer the neutral/flat sound it produces.

I also do like the WM1Z a lot and there are some songs that sound best with the WM1Z, and especially the M9 perform much better on the 1Z

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,192 of 5,322
I'm selling my WM1Z right now^^ that should answer your question.

But it's actually not that simple. I wouldn't say it's the better DAP, I just prefer the neutral/flat sound it produces.

I also do like the WM1Z a lot and there are some songs that sound best with the WM1Z, and especially the M9 perform much better on the 1Z
I just finished listening to the M11 Plus LTD and can understand where you are coming from.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,194 of 5,322
The WM1Z can't display 24bit files.

With an average dynamic of 105db, that's only slightly above the 96db of an Audio CD and far from the 144db of an 24bit file

But Hi-Res Audio recordings are often mastered and mixed different than the Audio CD version because they are tailored to a different target group.

But if you would downscale those Hi-Res audio recordings to 16bit, I'd say they sound absolutely identical on the WM1Z
What is your proof? Where are you getting your information from? And how creditable is it? What does it even mean? Why does it even matter?

I am NOT putting my Sony up for sale because of your post. I don’t even know what 144 db means in relation to hi res or CDs or even matters in the big picture. It all sounds like wa wa wa, yes Charlie Brown’s teacher.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,195 of 5,322
What is your proof? Where are you getting your information from? And how creditable is it? What does it even mean? Why does it even matter?

I am NOT putting my Sony up for sale because of your post. I don’t even know what 144 db means in relation to hi res or CDs or even matters in the big picture. It all sounds like wa wa wa, yes Charlie Brown’s teacher.
WM1A/Z has been measured and it is what it is. Doesn't automatically equate to a bad sound signature, equally there's better out there at the technical level...

SE Low gain
1631992024653.png

Balanced High Gain
1631992103640.png

Dynamic Range
1631992162553.png

I like my own WM1A and have no plan to sell or replace, equally I know where it stands on a technically.

Q-6

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,196 of 5,322

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-nw-wm1z-24-bit

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ny-nw-wm1a-review-digital-audio-player.18099/

Two completely independent tester testing with two different testing methods came to the same conclusion. And those are not the only reviewers who measured these results, there are more.

On paper, WM1Z is one of the worst DAPs that easily gets beat by 300$ competitors.

What did you think is the reason why Sony doesn't publish any numbers? They are all bad.

But that's no reason to sell it. You bought the WM1Z for its sound and not for numbers on paper, or?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,197 of 5,322

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ny-nw-wm1a-review-digital-audio-player.18099/

Two completely independent tester testing with two different testing methods came to the same conclusion. And those are not the only reviewers who measured these results, there are more.

On paper, WM1Z is one of the worst DAPs that easily gets beat by 300$ competitors.

What did you think is the reason why Sony doesn't publish any numbers? They are all bad.
I don't care for the review as the listening stage was poorly executed & documented. Audio Science Review has subsequently improved the review process over time. As for the numbers they bear out in math, so it is what it is and I own own a WM1A myself.

I rather agree as Sony clearly evades such specific values. Want to really hit it in DAP sector Lotoo Gold PAW Touch, puts many a desktop setup to shame...

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #2,198 of 5,322
I don't care for the review as the listening stage was poorly executed & documented. Audio Science Review has significantly improved the review process over time. As for the numbers they bear out in math ,so it is what it is and I own own a WM1A myself.

I rather agree as Sony clearly evades such specific values. Want to really hit it in DAP sector Lotoo Gold PAW Touch, puts many a desktop setup to shame...

Q-6
Me neither. I gave up on reviews quite some time ago. Same is true for frequency response graphs.

If it is the best sound for one taste, it's the best. Case closed, no matter what any measurements say

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,199 of 5,322
Another question is that while 24 bit can record that large a dynamic range, how many recordings actually use the whole range ?

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #2,200 of 5,322
Another question is that while 24 bit can record that large a dynamic range, how many recordings actually use the whole range ?
Not a lot. They exist but they are sparse.

But the dynamic range of the human ear (in perfect condition) is roughly 120db

And even when you ear is in perfect condition, it won't be long when you listen at 120db (which you would need to utilize an dynamic range of 120db)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,201 of 5,322
Few, nor are measurements & numbers the be all and end all, equally the player should be competent at a technical level. Number's are one thing and you can play with the SW to an extent. If seeking that elusive organic sound R2R DAC's is the only solution.

Currently listening to Tool - Undertow with single DD IEM on the R2R2K it sonically beats both WM1A & WM1Z as the player has dual R2R DAC's and in the region of 3.5 times the power. R2R2K eats battery, has a UI from the early 80's. Yet the realism is breath-taking.

This is a thing.
IMG_20201127_000040.jpg

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #2,202 of 5,322
What do you think about it?
The mid range is where it shines. It's not all boom and twinkle; it has that mid groove bounce with a silky top end. It is not offensive in any way and has features for days. I have the iFi Cable Series 4.4mm to XLR Balanced Cable and hooked it up to my Focal Sopra two channel system. I downloaded the Roon app and was able to control it from my MacBook Pro.

I also downloaded YT, Pocketcasts and all my music streaming apps. I am using it with my UM Melody Mest MK2 and it's fun to enjoy various media with my IEM's. It's a great addition!

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,203 of 5,322
The mid range is where it shines. It's not all boom and twinkle; it has that mid groove bounce with a silky top end. It is not offensive in any way and has features for days. I have the iFi Cable Series 4.4mm to XLR Balanced Cable and hooked it up to my Focal Sopra two channel system. I downloaded the Roon app and was able to control it from my MacBook Pro.

I also downloaded YT, Pocketcasts and all my music streaming apps. I am using it with my UM Melody Mest MK2 and it's fun to enjoy various media with my IEM's. It's a great addition!
Yes, that's my experience too. It's just a different taste than the WM1Z

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,204 of 5,322

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,205 of 5,322

But that's no reason to sell it. You bought the WM1Z for its sound and not for numbers on paper, or?
Good measurements do not equal good sound.

See posts from Jason Stoddard of Schitt on some of their designs where they measure great but sounded like crap and the lesser measuring designs sounded better.

The best measuring device for audio is your ears :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back