The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 9, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #2,116 of 5,326
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/10deeq.354099/
Well, in all my years here, I have only heard of one failing, and we don’t know how the particular unit was used, or abused? USB-C would be cool though!

Also with the broken one we never found out if it was his plug or the player that failed?

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,117 of 5,326
Hmmm. I like how you said that. So here is a question that I have for you. Do you feel the 1Z is better than the 1A or do you feel they have different sound signatures? Do you like them both for different reasons, one isn't necessarily better than the other? I just watched a youtube video of someone saying that they liked the 1A better than the 1Z. And since you have both would you recommend the 1Z for those that don't have it?

And anyone can share their thoughts as well.
Have you tried the modded firmware? If you haven't, I would suggest trying the 1Z update by Mr. Walkman and then see where you stand after that. I had the 1A and loved the standard firmware and the modded FW's even better. The temptation was too great and I finally broke down and bought the 1Z.

Attachments

• Walkman_Region_Chart.xlsx
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #2,118 of 5,326
I have not tried the modded firmware. It looks like I need a PC, I have a MacBook pro. I am very tempted in buying the 1Z. I've been looking through my stuff trying to decide what I could sell to compensate the cost. Part of me wants to just buy it and worry about compensating for it later on....
Have you tried the modded firmware? If you haven't, I would suggest trying the 1Z update by Mr. Walkman and then see where you stand after that. I had the 1A and loved the standard firmware and the modded FW's even better. The temptation was too great and I finally broke down and bought the 1Z.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,119 of 5,326
I have not tried the modded firmware. It looks like I need a PC, I have a MacBook pro. I am very tempted in buying the 1Z. I've been looking through my stuff trying to decide what I could sell to compensate the cost. Part of me wants to just buy it and worry about compensating for it later on....
You can install using VMware Fusion Player (Free) and Windows 10 (free trial) on macOS. Install Windows 10 without a license (trial mode) and then after 30 days it disables some features that aren't needed for installing custom firmware.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,120 of 5,326
The 1Z was by maybe $900, my most expensive purchase, but I like it the best? The 1A stock is basically un-useable in my views being way too thin and unmusical?

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #2,121 of 5,326
The 1Z was by maybe $900, my most expensive purchase, but I like it the best? The 1A stock is basically un-useable in my views being way too thin and unmusical?
Strangely Sony sells all the WM1A's it can produce. After all what could Sony possibly know about music production & presentation, offering both a reference influenced and a strong house sound DAP to it's Signature Series...

WM1A & WM1Z differ in hardware by around 10% with the vast majority of the difference in sound signature being created in software as @MrWalkman has so effectively illustrated. As ever WM1A versus WM1Z is a matter of taste not competence, exactly the same as Stock FW versus, Dawn/Midnight CFW or a hardware modified player. Smart money is on a modified 1A as this solution will easily outperform the WM1Z.

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #2,122 of 5,326
I guess ignorance is bliss because I love my 1A stock. To me, it is absolutely amazing. I just love it. This is why I bought a second brand new one. I am slowly upgrading all my songs to hi-res. Little by little. I only have so much money.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #2,123 of 5,326
Strangely Sony sells all the WM1A's it can produce. After all what could Sony possibly know about music production & presentation, offering both a reference influenced and a strong house sound DAP to it's Signature Series...

WM1A & WM1Z differ in hardware by around 10% with the vast majority of the difference in sound signature being created in software as @MrWalkman has so effectively illustrated. As ever WM1A versus WM1Z is a matter of taste not competence, exactly the same as Stock FW versus, Dawn/Midnight CFW or a hardware modified player. Smart money is on a modified 1A as this solution will easily outperform the WM1Z.

Q-6
I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the midnight FW. I am curious.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,124 of 5,326
You can install using VMware Fusion Player (Free) and Windows 10 (free trial) on macOS. Install Windows 10 without a license (trial mode) and then after 30 days it disables some features that aren't needed for installing custom firmware.
I figured out a solution. I am going to do it on my friend's PC.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #2,125 of 5,326
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #2,126 of 5,326
I guess ignorance is bliss because I love my 1A stock. To me, it is absolutely amazing. I just love it. This is why I bought a second brand new one. I am slowly upgrading all my songs to hi-res. Little by little. I only have so much money.
Although I'm now on FEv2, I still thinks WM1A stock FW ver 3.02 is good especially for faster songs and for me particularly, maybe due to my collection of songs, I could only tolerate thicker notes up to a certain extend.

Does this means there's a truth in claims that some will still prefer 1A over 1Z albeit the 1Z being more premium than 1A?

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #2,127 of 5,326
Although I'm now on FEv2, I still thinks WM1A stock FW ver 3.02 is good especially for faster songs and for me particularly, maybe due to my collection of songs, I could only tolerate thicker notes up to a certain extend.

Does this means there's a truth in claims that some will still prefer 1A over 1Z albeit the 1Z being more premium than 1A?
Remember also that in stock form (stock firmware) the 1A/1Z have different tuning all over the world. So there are many models each with a different sound. After changing my region (in my 1A) to Japan with the region changer then custom firmware it was a whole new experience. Now the custom firmware has the region changer inside (inside the player/accessible with PC/Mac) so no reason to go to the rockbox site anymore. Remember too it all depends on IEM synergy and what sound you are ultimately after. Some naturally like a more mid focused sound. So they may like the 1A best. I spent the day with the new firmware (and 1A) and while I’m guessing it is a little less warm than previous firmware; it has great imaging and pace along with detail and soundstage. It’s really petty cool!

Yes, some would definitely find the 1Z too slow or clogged-up with bass? This whole experience is very subjective in the end.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,128 of 5,326
Would the 1A (modded) or the 1Z still be a worthy purchase in 2021 vs other flagships? I'm not in a rush to get anything, I love Sony products but I worry that with them being from 2016 they're just too dated to be worth it currently. I've listened to a modded 1A that my friend owns and really liked the sound signature of it but it's definitely not the most feature rich player in 2021.
Today you can buy a new WM1A with $900 and WM1Z with $2,000 which is very attractive. New WM series flagship models very likely over $3k and I doubt there is big difference in sound quality. You can also play around with various aftermarket firmwares that further boost the performance. The new WM series may be in Android and not sure if they can install the aftermarket firmwares

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,129 of 5,326
A search feature.
When you have 30K+ tracks you have to have them very well organized to find a specific track :smile:
I got 10,000+ albums and they are all tagged and well organized in Windows server, by performer, composer, album title, year, etc.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,130 of 5,326
I got 10,000+ albums and they are all tagged and well organized in Windows server, by performer, composer, album title, year, etc.
And I’ve got over 50.000 tracks, all fully tagged and structured

Users who are viewing this thread

Back