The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jun 13, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #1,516 of 5,314
That is a pity. I actually went for the 1A the first time because it was "just" a music player with USB-DAC function, no mambo-jumbo. I will have to be extra careful with my 1Z now that it will be the end of the line.
We all better be. I have a feeling that the resell value for 1A/Z will still be quite high for few years to come if Sony did go to the Android path when 1A/Z is discontinued, with assumption that the current owner wouldn't easily sell/depart from 1A/Z. It would be of course dependent on how well executed would the new TOTL Android player be, either from Sony or other maker.

Jun 13, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,518 of 5,314
^^For me, it'll be all about how they optimize Android. If they don't kill unnecessary battery-sucking processes, barring a massive change in my POV with regards to streaming, I have zero desire to purchase an Android device, whether it's Sony or not.
I avoid Android as well.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #1,519 of 5,314
Which sequence must be folliwed when using NW-H10 cable?

i tried connecting my A25 as a digital transport to my wm1a but no luck.

@Redcarmoose hqs done this with wm1A and wm1z

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #1,520 of 5,314
Got it working The usb charging of the wm1A via the connected audio device must be off
image.jpg

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,521 of 5,314
Got it working The usb charging of the wm1A via the connected audio device must be off
image.jpg
Can you do that with an SD card reader or thumb drive or just it be a powered device?

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #1,522 of 5,314
Can you do that with an SD card reader or thumb drive or just it be a powered device?
This cqble is for digital audio out from a walkman that has WM Port, so the card read may work may not with the wm1A

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #1,523 of 5,314
This cqble is for digital audio out from a walkman that has WM Port, so the card read may work may not with the wm1A
Of course, I forgot that, I was thinking the other way may work.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,525 of 5,314
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,526 of 5,314
That is a pity. I actually went for the 1A the first time because it was "just" a music player with USB-DAC function, no mambo-jumbo. I will have to be extra careful with my 1Z now that it will be the end of the line.
All very true, equally you wont get a more flexible player anytime soon, if ever again; reversible official firmware, regional preferences, custom tuning, custom firmware. Vast majority of DAP's are locked down with the customer very much locked out of any decision. or choice.

If the next Gen WM1A/Z is yet another locked down Google Android device will be a strong no sale for me. It should be all about high quality reproduction of music, not monetising the customer, equally Sony ZX500...

Q-6

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,527 of 5,314
Hi guys, Im going to buy WM1A, I have 2 questions that I hope you guys can answer:
1/Does WM1A have 2-way bluetooth function?
2/I have heard about Mr.Walkman firmware that make WM1A becomes a star, is that right?
Thank you!

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,528 of 5,314
Hi guys, Im going to buy WM1A, I have 2 questions that I hope you guys can answer:
1/Does WM1A have 2-way bluetooth function?
2/I have heard about Mr.Walkman firmware that make WM1A becomes a star, is that right?
Thank you!
1. if by 2-way you mean can it receive a BT signal as a dac and play it and send a BT signal to wireless headphones or other receivers then yes, but not at the same time.

2. Yes there are multible custom fw and sound tunings plus all the stock ones and the Rockbox region changer so lots of ways to fine tune your experience

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #1,529 of 5,314
The issue of white nouse sound by using DoP on NW-A25 triggerwd my curiosity ao i encoded two DSD files as DoP and from wm1A internal memory they showed as flac but same problem onlu nouse. Seem to be only working in USB DAC mode

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,530 of 5,314
966E2902-3AAD-4C3D-AF0C-E8B0EDB8C536.jpeg

Now that I am back in my “real” office where I use my WM1Z, as opposed to home office for the past year, I am getting reacquainted with my 1Z and Rai Penta IEMs. Honestly it took a while to get used to hearing music this way again, after listening to speakers (Naim Muso 2) for the past year… but I am loving the sound quality of this combo more than I even remember before I took a break last year.

It has me wondering about the synergy of using a Sony over ear or IEM with the 1Z versus the Rai Pentas, which are extremely comfortable and have a great mid-upper spaciousness to the sound that I like a lot. But I am curious about something like the MDR-Z1R or IER-Z1R being better matched with the 1Z than the Meze IEMs.

Anyone reading this have direct experience going between the Rai Penta and any of the Sony models with the 1Z (or 1A)? Am I better off to stay put where I am or am I missing out big-time with the Sony synergy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back