THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #2,447 of 3,167
Certainly we need a very detailed answer from the AA regarding the foam.
This will definitely make many to consider twice before purchasing the composer.
And if I buy it in the end, I want free extra foam included at this price point and spare earpads too.
And while we're at it a spare headphone, just in case.

At Susvara prices, headphones should come with 3 spares even

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #2,449 of 3,167
Certainly we need a very detailed answer from the AA regarding the foam.
This will definitely make many to consider twice before purchasing the composer.
And if I buy it in the end, I want free extra foam included at this price point and spare earpads too.
We need a detailed answer because one user has reported an issue no one else did so far? It's not like the headphone has been going up in flames aboard a flight or something. I tend to agree if a number of users would be affected by the same issue, but even in that case most manufacturers would simply replace the faulty part instead of issuing detailed answers.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #2,450 of 3,167
Ask and it may be given.
I'm sure even if it doesn't come with spare parts, if you contact them and ask, they'd most likely provide some or even replace it for you.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #2,451 of 3,167
We need a detailed answer because one user has reported an issue no one else did so far? It's not like the headphone has been going up in flames aboard a flight or something. I tend to agree if a number of users would be affected by the same issue, but even in that case most manufacturers would simply replace the faulty part instead of issuing detailed answers.

Much like Audeze's glued on pads, wouldn't it make sense to understand what the fix would look like/cost prior to investing in the headphones? I stopped purchasing Audeze headphones due to this.

AA should weigh in - if this is a user repairable item that AA will ship at low cost, then it's not a major issue. If the headphones need to be sent back to have the foam changed to maintain warranty, then it would be, at least for me, a show stopper.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #2,452 of 3,167
I shared my 'TC' at our Mini-Meet last week. I don't know if impressions will be left or not. Maybe other posters can pry it out with posts. (AZ Mini Meet in impressions thread)

I think people were mostly positive of them. The price is the 'wince' moment. "Good" / "Very Good" is the safe consensus, but I don't think anyone left thinking it was the best thing at the meet or game changing. Very fair assessments. I still don't know any other dynamic driver that does what 'TC' does - so questioning pricing is a slippery slope.

To the dude being overly aggressive with everything in life - including taking off the easiest pads in the universe - somehow ripped like someone was trying to do harm.
Nothing is going to last forever - try some actual constructive criticism.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #2,453 of 3,167
Much like Audeze's glued on pads, wouldn't it make sense to understand what the fix would look like/cost prior to investing in the headphones? I stopped purchasing Audeze headphones due to this.

AA should weigh in - if this is a user repairable item that AA will ship at low cost, then it's not a major issue. If the headphones need to be sent back to have the foam changed to maintain warranty, then it would be, at least for me, a show stopper.
See my post above as I already answered your question there. I don't need to understand an issue, just one user has been affected by, prior purchasing.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #2,454 of 3,167
The case on my DAP literally melted at the seams from the heat and humidity when I was in Singapore. Heat and humidity can do nasty stuff to things quick. Foam, heat, high humidity and some forms of adhesives don't play along well and with that tick of a foam on the Composer, I wouldn't dare to enjoy the Composer outdoors even in my own backyard or front porch in those conditions. I'm keeping that thing indoors with AC on.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #2,455 of 3,167
The manufacturer has made it clear there will be parts available.

Of course there will be👍....otherwise I would be pissed off 😈

NOMAX

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #2,456 of 3,167
The Austrian Audio replied to the guy who had the pad failure that it wasn't a normal failure. They replied to him the same day. They directed him to take it up with his dealer.

Owning the composer and having looked carefully at the pads and the foam, I can't imagine how under normal circumstances that could have happened. So, either it's an extreme user error, or there is a problem with the what happened to the headphone before purchase .

Austrian Audio has made a headphone that primary use is professional. That means that it has to stand up to stresses that ordinary users probably don't encounter, and that there will be, by definition, spare parts available. AA has confirmed indeed this is the case. What else do people need to hear> What is it about this headphone that causes such extreme responses?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,457 of 3,167
The Austrian Audio replied to the guy who had the pad failure that it wasn't a normal failure. They replied to him the same day. They directed him to take it up with his dealer.

Owning the composer and having looked carefully at the pads and the foam, I can't imagine how under normal circumstances that could have happened. So, either it's an extreme user error, or there is a problem with the what happened to the headphone before purchase .

Austrian Audio has made a headphone that primary use is professional. That means that it has to stand up to stresses that ordinary users probably don't encounter, and that there will be, by definition, spare parts available. AA has confirmed indeed this is the case. What else do people need to hear> What is it about this headphone that causes such extreme responses?

You can only speculate about what happened.......and I generally don't take part in speculation 😎

NOMAX

PS.Since the owner is from Asia...it will probably take a little while...but you have to expect that...just like I do with my models from the USA when I have a problem
But I am also sure that distributors will receive these foams as replacements/spare parts in the coming months....that it will go even faster👍
And those who willfully tear it down...they should pay for it 😉

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,458 of 3,167
I mostly operate the same way, and decide rather quickly. it takes longer if I want to describe differences in detail of course.
Its just a guess, but when developing additional pads multiple variants might be available, necessitating more changes.
I have to admit that I take the pads off sometimes just for the ease of it... like flipping the AirPods case opening mechanism :wink:

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #2,459 of 3,167
The case on my DAP literally melted at the seams from the heat and humidity when I was in Singapore. Heat and humidity can do nasty stuff to things quick. Foam, heat, high humidity and some forms of adhesives don't play along well and with that tick of a foam on the Composer, I wouldn't dare to enjoy the Composer outdoors even in my own backyard or front porch in those conditions. I'm keeping that thing indoors with AC on.

See above, I mentioned a situation like that in another post. We are not talking about a life and death issue here, where a manufacturer would have to (!) issue a warning about his product, but about a simple layer of foam and its adhesive, not working properly for one single user so far. Even if it would be a more common problem, there would be no need for Austrian Audio to issue a statement about it. That's not a common practice for other companies selling much more expensive non-audio products either (except for the before mentioned cases where you life might be in danger). For me as a customer it's only important that there is a warranty system I can rely on. I can also wait for the early adopters to share their impressions and wait for some time to see if issues are coming up.

Regarding heat and humidity. I know that different kinds of materials react differently to those parameters. But we are talking about Hong Kong here. They have climate control available and I guess no one is sitting outside with leather pad headphones under extreme weather conditions there. Furthermore, I don't think Austrian Audio forgot that they might have some customers from that region while developing that product, given that so many of our Asian friends are still proud owners of AKG stuff.

Anyway...we are still talking about one single user who reported that problem.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2,460 of 3,167
Shabta said: " I can't imagine how under normal circumstances that could have happened. So, either it's an extreme user error, or there is a problem with the what happened to the headphone before purchase ."
That's the main thing for me in this discussion and what I tried to say twice. It's obvious: The foam didn't come off, they were ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back