THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #2,476 of 3,228
are you a Nomax Fan or why you always say that Nomax is bashed? he get criticized for advertising but that’s not a bashing. to be critical is important to keep things neutral. That’s democracy. otherwise if only positive reviews are allowed and people with concerns are eliminated your a fan of a dictatorship.
It's absolutely ok if you want to criticize Nomax for exaggerating on how awesome the Composer is. However we don't need false facts on how long a foam will last or about a manufacturer "putting in a sloppy job". That's simply nonsense if you making up that "assumption" based on a single case where something was wrong. In the meantime several users tried to lift the foam (including me) and nothing happened.

And please...cut that "democracy" / "dictatorship" bs. You are still allowed to post here, right? And I am still allowed to express a different opinion on why I think that makes no sense to me. So please Google what those terms really stand for and where to apply them.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #2,477 of 3,228
It's absolutely ok if you want to criticize Nomax for exaggerating on how awesome the Composer is. However we don't need false facts on how long a foam will last or about a manufacturer "putting in a sloppy job". That's simply nonsense if you making up that "assumption" based on a single case where something was wrong. In the meantime several users tried to lift the foam (including me) and nothing happened.

And please...cut that "democracy" / "dictatorship" bs. You are still allowed to post here, right? And I am still allowed to express a different opinion on why I think that makes no sense to me. So please Google what those terms really stand for and where to apply them.
I always said the composer is we’ll made so don’t know what you are speaking about.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #2,478 of 3,228
And regarding the foam exchange..... has its reasons why there is this marking 😉

IMG_9871.jpeg

So it is quite playfully possible for everyone to attach new ones in the correct position 😎
(In case they should go off after years)

NOMAX

PS.lol and a nice evening my friends 👍

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #2,480 of 3,228
I'll see when I'm back from my vacation from the mountains that I take a short snapshot or video of the making of the transducer (Made in House/Austria/Vienna )
(But please don't expect too much...i only have my cam of my Ipad Pro 🙈)

NOMAX

PS.So that nobody has to worry that they will be bought in from China 😎

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #2,481 of 3,228
As someone who will never purchase these, this is me lurking on this thread:

monkey.jpg

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,482 of 3,228
And regarding the foam exchange..... has its reasons why there is this marking 😉

IMG_9871.jpeg

So it is quite playfully possible for everyone to attach new ones in the correct position 😎
(In case they should go off after years)

NOMAX

PS.lol and a nice evening my friends 👍
So the foam (I promise not to call it an oreo cookie again) is laid on an over-sized sheet to line up with those markings? If so, it is a good enough solution but still can be nerve wrecking to some but good regardless.
I'll see when I'm back from my vacation from the mountains that I take a short snapshot or video of the making of the transducer (Made in House/Austria/Vienna )
(But please don't expect too much...i only have my cam of my Ipad Pro 🙈)

NOMAX

PS.So that nobody has to worry that they will be bought in from China 😎
That would be cool and I'm pretty sure it's a total screamer. So is it possible for you to share data/parameters of the driver? I'm curious as to why it needs layers of different filter materials.
As someone who will never purchase these, this is me lurking on this thread:

monkey.jpg
We're just all kids having fun in the playground, rough play but all good :L3000::thumbsup:

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #2,483 of 3,228
1000006225.jpg

Coming back to the Composer's sound...a little warmth from a tube amp suits the Composer really well, though the one used here isn't that warm sounding than other 300B amps. Thanks @xxx1313 for the recommendation (btw will get back to you by mail shortly).

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #2,484 of 3,228
are you a Nomax Fan or why you always say that Nomax is bashed? he get criticized for advertising but that’s not a bashing. to be critical is important to keep things neutral. That’s democracy. otherwise if only positive reviews are allowed and people with concerns are eliminated your a fan of a dictatorship.
Because I note that he hasn't "bashed" you, yet you continue with repeated, boring and unproven sly remarks that suggest he is a paid advertiser. Move on! Where are the freakin' Gorts on this site? Talk about an anti-Nomax fanboy!
Nomax has a few headphones that he likes (and has liked in the past) that align with my own sound preferences, not just the Composer (which isn't imported here AFAIK) - e.g. AKG K812, Utopia OG and the mighty Mysphere 3.2, all of which you may notice I currently own. I noted after I bought them that Nomax had also like them, so I admire his good taste in sound preferences. Much like how I think Steve Hoffman masters albums the way I think they should be done. Not because I automatically like them, but rather he (and Nomax) have sound preferences much like how I'd always hoped stuff could sound.
I'm not a fanboy (which is what you are implying) as I still believe that the AKG K812 is still TOTL and unbelievably good with Oratory1990 EQ.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #2,485 of 3,228
I am not sure the situation with the foam has anything to do with the drop.
I wondered about that - and it does look like somebody actually forcibly did that prior to you receiving them.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,487 of 3,228
By the way, looks like people that like Stealth seem to also like Composer.

Because they are correct in their basic tonal presentation...even if they are different 😎

NOMAX

PS.I'm currently listening to this piece with the E3 👍👍👍

Yes, for me personally, the Composer does not come close to the mids/treble and spatial representation of the DCA Stealth/E3 (i mean not the Openness of the perfomance)
But the Viennese has the edge in the bass/low end against DCA😎
(Here Dan Clark still has to try to improve technically)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #2,488 of 3,228
@DarginMahkum

I wouldn't say that TBH. The Composer doesn't sound like any other DD's I've heard. The FiiO FT-3 is a good modern midground level though. Large angled driver - FiiO can't keep up with the outright technicality, but they are very enjoyable. The Composer is more laid back and reference vs. the somewhat forward FT-3 (in comparison to the Composer)

I haven't heard the AKG K8XX series enough to be bold enough to claim the composer is better than all AKG. Another very good option for the financially conservative and less concerned about the outright finish would be the ETA lineup. The O2 and Genesis G. specifically bring me the same levels of enjoyment as the composer. They might not do X,Y,Z better than the composer, but the composer might not be able to do A,B,C better. I've heard better resolve from electrostats, ribbons, and other headphones meant to deliver that promise. I've heard better timbre, but it always lacked resolution or alternative pros/cons with the tops dogs. The thing is though - I'm comparing with nothing but the best. The Composer trades blows with everybody - maybe not taking the win, but not getting KO'd or TKD'd - they stay standing through all the fights that Hi-Fi'dom brings.

Accuracy, (Marco / Micro reproduction in the correct time domain without THD)
FR (Able to reproduce the human audible range - this does not mean a specific preference curve, just the physical ability)

It has both, but in the middle ground of rich/lean and never getting too crazy. I think amp pairing will help with this. The notes from one member at the meet mentions this.

Sometimes I'm shocked at where the bass is coming from and sometimes I feel it is anemic - just need to realize that it is a microscope of your front end. There are more resolving headphones (RAAL), there are more dynamic headphones (Utopia), there are richer headphones (ZMF) and there are leaner headphones that sound bigger (HD800) - but there isn't one of them that does all the things Very Well... the Composer is trying to change that. I don't think it is OMG, but I'm also not sure what else can tackle as much as it can.

In Planar land - the HE6 and Susvara on the right system might be the jam for you. For collectors of the finest pieces - this is for you. (Composer) The Grado HP-1000 line might be long dead and possibly surpassed, but it will always be a reference and I think these will come to be also. It'll be a minute plus the magic of DPS (imo) before you hear a single driver dynamic do all the things you ever wished for.

I think AA has done a splendid job of releasing their first true audiophile flagship. Sennheiser, I've got $$$ waiting if you want show up to the game. :wink:

All love to all headphones and the folk who seek their goal - just find these headphones as a stepping stone in your journey. You might just end up at the place you wanted to be.

Cheers and all the love.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #2,489 of 3,228
By the way, looks like people that like Expanse / Stealth seem to also like Composer.
I received the same DAC as (one of) yours a few days ago, the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE. I'm coming from years of use with an Aune S16 and a bit more recently an iFi Pro iDSD.

IMG_20240218_221926.jpg

I'm astounded by what I'm experiencing. First impression is... impressive to say the least, with the Composer.

Cover_1000.webp

(What I was listening to:heart_eyes:)

Super clean as in clarity / transparency at optimum levels, in a very musical way. No analytic dryness at all, just pure resolution. With the Composer's realistic timbre and nimble velocity, the matching seems to be amazing. I'll keep on listening with delight.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,490 of 3,228
By the way, looks like people that like Expanse / Stealth seem to also like Composer.
As someone that really likes the Expanse I'm curious about the Composer.

Looking forward to my audition on 2nd of march

Users who are viewing this thread

Back