THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,876 of 3,434
100%. And this is really just how I hear it. IMO Soundstage & spaciousness = composer, for punch and detail = Utopia.
And that's what I don't understand; People write that the Composer is on par with the Utopia, sounds in a different class then HD800, but you complain about the price.
Utopia is exactly double the price.
That's not a question of taste,that's just not logic

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #1,877 of 3,434
And that's what I don't understand; People write that the Composer is on par with the Utopia, sounds in a different class then HD800, but you complain about the price.
Well, to confuse things further, to my ear the HD800S is better than the Utopia!

EDIT
And, to my ear, the ADX5000 is better too.

EDIT 2
... and both cost much less than the Utopia (and the likely cost of the Composer) ...

EDIT 3
I have no difficulty believing I would also prefer the Composer to the Utopia - but for me it may not compete with the HD800S or ADX5000.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #1,878 of 3,434
Can't you understand that he is giving his subjective opinion? it's not that hard ...

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #1,879 of 3,434

It's quite simple...if you want a technically very good headphone, which is what the Utopia/Nutopia also is, but prefer a larger and more spatial representation and want a very full and precise bass than the Frenchman offers, you won't be able to avoid the Composer
There are still enough models at higher prices that don't have this

Yes, another model should show me this performance on the Dap
(Stupid if the punch doesn't go deep enough with one or the other model😉)

IMG_9482.jpeg

NOMAX

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #1,880 of 3,434
It's quite simple...if you want a technically very good headphone, which is what the Utopia/Nutopia also is, but prefer a larger and more spatial representation and want a very full and precise bass than the Frenchman offers, you won't be able to avoid the Composer
There are still enough models at higher prices that don't have this 😉

NOMAX
No it’s not that simple. that’s only your opinion and other people tell the opposite . are you watching the review from resolve?

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #1,881 of 3,434
No it’s not that simple. that’s only your opinion and other people tell the opposite . are you watching the review from resolve?

As I said before, everyone should make their own comparison...but please bring your preferred model with you side by side 👍
(Then you quickly realize where it is lacking in many others😉)

So many people have complained that Model X or Y didn't have enough bass in the past or didn't sound spacious enough
Now you have one ..and it runs easily on every Dap😎

NOMAX

PS.And if someone sees it differently from me....I can live with it perfectly well
There are other models in my signature which have their qualities👍...However, many of them at even higher prices😉

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,882 of 3,434
Where did Resolve say the opposite? In fact, resolve never even spoke about utopias. Not only that, resolve isn't saying something that is generally the opposite from nomax, he just doesn't agree with the pricing and clearly values the winning traits of the composer differently than Nomax. Why don't you take some time to actually listen to the headphone that you keep criticizing. It would be the polite thing to do.

Having said that, comparing the composer which is definitely priced high with a headphone whose price is completely outrageous is a perhaps a winning debate tactic but missing the point. This isn't to say the composer is or isn't worth what I paid for it, it's just a fact, 2500 euros ( i paid less) is a lot for a headphone. And personally I think Utopias aren't worth the money (which isn't saying they don't sound good).

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,883 of 3,434
Well, I have both the Sennheiser HD800S and the Composer. I do not use EQ and know nothing of graphs. I think the Composer lacks the depth of stage provided by the Sennheisers but on the other hand the width sounds more natural on the Composer.
I think the Composer sounds like a development of the K812 which I used to have and liked.
Playing out of my desktop amp I have no doubt I prefer the Composer to the Sennheisers . It just sounds in a different class.
I know what you hear depends on the synergy of the whole chain: synergy is everything in hifi. Different setup, different result. I can imagine that played on a Chord setup or maybe Lina for example the Composer could sound thin and over bright. My stack is Denafrips which is usually described as warm and slightly soft as the amp is Class A unity gain and the DAC is R2R.
It's interesting that those of us who love the HD800S and also have spent time with the composer seem to prefer the composer. I actually find it not even all that close except with symphony and some chamber music. Which is why I suppose I pulled the trigger on the composer.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #1,884 of 3,434
@shabta: "But I think @Resolve point about price, is that is measures simliarly to other headphones that cost less."

What I see, is a better frequency response than HD800 and Meze Empyrian. Distortion is below 1% - Oratory calls that " low enough not to be an issue "

By the way: A man, who has a Susvara on top of his headphonelist, shouldn't give too much weight on measurments.
The composer is to my ears better than the original empyrean. It's closer on the empy2, but I still chose composer, I could have purchased either one. The susvara when driven by the right amp is one of the very best experiences you can have with small speaker strapped to either side of your head. But that will cost many times a composer and a modest dap.

And I don't want to derail the conversation too much but what ASR does with measurements is easy to scientifically criticize and ruining the hobby. Let's reduce every amp and dac to a meaningless number, which has little to do with how the device performs in real-world multi dimensional situations etc etc. Sorry to winge. I won't respond to people who disagree, this is a composer thread.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #1,885 of 3,434
Are we really delving into the fundamentals of headphone evaluation, page by page? It's crucial to remember that each person's hearing is unique, and what one finds exciting, another may find boring due to our diverse tastes and the variety of music genres we prefer.

However, the comparison between the Composer, HD800S, and Utopia baffles me. The HD800S's expansive soundstage sets it already apart, while the Utopia has a more distinctive coloration. I personally found the Composer to be the least engaging headphone I've ever experienced. However, there are for sure members in this community who genuinely appreciate it, and that's perfectly acceptable. It's undeniable that AA has excelled in the construction, design, and comfort of the headphone. Additionally, the tonal balance is impressive for those who prefer that specific sound profile.

I hope they create a version of this headphone with a more exciting sound signature in the future; I would be all over it. Also, I find it hard to take the clown seriously who persistently promotes this headphone with such obvious bias. In my view, this actually harms AA's reputation. It nearly deterred me from purchasing the composer.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,886 of 3,434
@Dynamo5561

Because the composer impresses me...strange that nobody got upset when I did that years ago with the DCA Stealth or the Frenchman etc etc😉
( And yes, I also know the people behind it...so its not a secret😎)

NOMAX

PS.Just like impressing me as the head clown is not that easy 🤪
And I certainly won't apologize for the fact that, despite my HE1, there are and will still be models where i say ok....that sounds really very good to my ears👍

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #1,888 of 3,434
I think the Composer sounds like a development of the K812 which I used to have and liked.
Would like to hear more with regards to the developments? I've the HD800S and HD820 but do find my K872s (and also when on loan the K812) more transparent than the Senn and are a real treat with some genres and recordings but overall not as musically engaging as the more popular phones.
As tools to look into and analyze a recording I think the K812 and K872 are hard to beat so the Composer having the same pedigree do interest me.

I do not use EQ
I'm in a similar boat, but only as my main rigs are source to amp no computers in the chain except the DAC in my streamers.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #1,889 of 3,434
What am I missing?????
Ok, I am not like others...huh, that's good.
Ok sorry, maybe we should take a poll:laughing:. I don't recall you saying you're a loving owner the HD800S and having spent time with the composer like the senn better. I missed it somehow.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #1,890 of 3,434
Are we really delving into the fundamentals of headphone evaluation, page by page? It's crucial to remember that each person's hearing is unique, and what one finds exciting, another may find boring due to our diverse tastes and the variety of music genres we prefer.

However, the comparison between the Composer, HD800S, and Utopia baffles me. The HD800S's expansive soundstage sets it already apart, while the Utopia has a more distinctive coloration. I personally found the Composer to be the least engaging headphone I've ever experienced. However, there are for sure members in this community who genuinely appreciate it, and that's perfectly acceptable. It's undeniable that AA has excelled in the construction, design, and comfort of the headphone. Additionally, the tonal balance is impressive for those who prefer that specific sound profile.

I hope they create a version of this headphone with a more exciting sound signature in the future; I would be all over it. Also, I find it hard to take the clown seriously who persistently promotes this headphone with such obvious bias. In my view, this actually harms AA's reputation. It nearly deterred me from purchasing the composer.
Don’t worry AA has no reputation yet. I really like the thread were 3 boys from Austria defending a expensive headphone (2500 Euro are expensive for 99 percent of people if I would ask them on the street) which sounds good and are built nice. and as a mobile device it has to be closed and not open bec I don’t see me on a plane or a train listening with an open back headphone. that’s just not happen in real life so mobility (easy to drive) aren’t working in the wild maybe at home. so easy to drive makes just no sense for a open headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back