THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #91 of 3,277
Plus I think that most of those rather expensive offerings are not bringing enough to the table. What they did bring though is that we now see something at 2.5k as rather reasonable… is that a good thing?

I’ve yet to hear this one, but at least Austrian Audio refrained from slapping a 4K+ price sticker on it.
I agree with you. For Austrian Audio to come out with a flagship level price point after only making headphones under the $1000 mark it’s a tougher market to prove that you belong there. Even with their history and lineage it’s going to be an uphill battle.

I’m super curious about it though. I’m sure we’ll see their fate after CanJam SoCal. If it makes it through that event with positive impressions I’ll be adding it to my demo list.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #92 of 3,277
A set for 4k seemed normal for HD800 level stuff... I guess
Personally I don't know any headphone that I'd call fine, or even OK, for 4K. I much prefer the segment 500-1000,- actually.
Never been a fan of the HD800 -- just too lean for my purposes and taste. The HD800S was a bit better, but I'd go with the D9200 for about the same price.

Seeing something at the quality/detail level of HD800 as normal for a price tag of 4K, then something went wrong... to each his own, but I think excellent sound quality can be had for much less. Do I enjoy my music more with something marginally better on the technical level? No. I even find joy in some Grado models due to their character, not their perfection.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #93 of 3,277
I agree with you. For Austrian Audio to come out with a flagship level price point after only making headphones under the $1000 mark it’s a tougher market to prove that you belong there. Even with their history and lineage it’s going to be an uphill battle.

I’m super curious about it though. I’m sure we’ll see their fate after CanJam SoCal. If it makes it through that event with positive impressions I’ll be adding it to my demo list.
It's always an interesting moment when the rubber hits the road I guess...
Yet I know @Nomax well enough to give something a listen when he's genuinely excited. And in the end what counts to me is my own impression. Will take my trusty iPod and give it a go these days.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #94 of 3,277
Personally I don't know any headphone that I'd call fine, or even OK, for 4K. I much prefer the segment 500-1000,- actually.
Never been a fan of the HD800 -- just too lean for my purposes and taste. The HD800S was a bit better, but I'd go with the D9200 for about the same price.

Seeing something at the quality/detail level of HD800 as normal for a price tag of 4K, then something went wrong... to each his own, but I think excellent sound quality can be had for much less. Do I enjoy my music more with something marginally better on the technical level? No. I even find joy in some Grado models due to their character, not their perfection.
Nice view and insight, I think Austrian Audio did cooked some nice stuff here and in composer case, this is too good to be true with balanced output (Which I think it's a good idea!). The sad news is sometimes we gotta spend too much on these excellent spec after a bloom. Like Grell'S HEAVYS can just cost 500 but they did 160sth in Kickstarter and 300 with a full set. That's when V Moda M100 is considered luxury then. Hell AKG didn't cost much on K1000 then somewhat.

Wish I can get K701 like Austrian Audio headphones with balanced output available lol

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #96 of 3,277

Meze kinda did that, going from the 99 Classics to The Empyrean.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #97 of 3,277
Yet I know @Nomax well enough to give something a listen when he's genuinely excited. And in the end what counts to me is my own impression. Will take my trusty iPod and give it a go these days.

As I said on the phone to you,you will be amazed 😉

NOMAX

PS.the low end (body) is much much more as on the Nutopia/HD800S....and its fast/punchy and at the same time very airy/transparent👍
You can directly feel how ❗️clean and precisely ❗️the air mass unfolds in the performance without it having a disturbing effect on you
The fact that this was achieved with a dynamic transducer still amazes even me👍

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #98 of 3,277

NOMAX

PS.the low end (body) is much much more as on the Nutopia/HD800S....and its fast/punchy and at the same time very airy/transparent👍
You can directly feel how ❗️clean and precisely ❗️the air mass unfolds in the performance without it having a disturbing effect on you
Describing my Unicorn. :)

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #99 of 3,277
Describing my Unicorn. :)

NOMAX

Describing exactly what I'm looking for as well. Especially since NOMAX also has the Questyle CMA 15 so I'd be listening on the same source equipment.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #100 of 3,277
Here's another pic that Nomax posted on a different thread:

C2EB4D9D-0DD1-4F1E-BB3A-C4AE1AE3C501.jpeg

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #101 of 3,277
Here's another pic that Nomax posted on a different thread:

Yes from the can jam thread😎, so don't miss it if you have the chance, you should use it to get to know the AA team and of course to get in touch with the composer👍
(And feel free to take your daps with you with your own music)

NOMAX

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #102 of 3,277
I guess the reason for using that connector is to have something with a small footprint and something that is secure and cannot be disconnected easily if pulled downwards. I have to say, I never had a problem with the 3.5mm connectors of HifiMan HPs, and I don't find it a good move to come up with a new connector.

I agree on your guess concerning the motives for choosing this new connector, but maybe Austrian Audio wants to tell us an additional message: "This headphone is as close to perfection as it can be, so do not f*ck around with different cables!" :wink:

Cheers,
Bernie

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #103 of 3,277
I’m looking forward to read your opinion plakat. Especially a review in contrast to Apples AirPods Max. I tried the Austrian audio HI-X-65 and HI-X-60 and didn‘t notice a significant improvement in soundquality compared to my APM. ( I utilised a standard Apple lightning 3.5mm adapter as DAC). At least I didn‘t hear anything worth 300€-400€. but maybe I’m deaf and not capable to hear this level of detail or quality.

BTW which mobile DAC would you recommend to run the Composer with? (Compatible to iOS products USB-C ord lightning. FiiO KA5?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #104 of 3,277
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #105 of 3,277
I’m looking forward to read your opinion plakat. Especially a review in contrast to Apples AirPods Max. I tried the Austrian audio HI-X-65 and HI-X-60 and didn‘t notice a significant improvement in soundquality compared to my APM. ( I utilised a standard Apple lightning 3.5mm adapter as DAC). At least I didn‘t hear anything worth 300€-400€. but maybe I’m deaf and not capable to hear this level of detail or quality.

BTW which mobile DAC would you recommend to run the Composer with? (Compatible to iOS products USB-C ord lightning. FiiO KA5?
I'd not call that deaf, but honest :wink:
hearing is an acquired skill and can be trained. So looking for errors etc. can be trained, but I think one risks loosing the joy music itself brings when adhering to what some call "critical listening". 300-400,- is a good price range with some very good offers that bring high quality to the table. There's no shame in being content with that -- myself having a couple of old V-Moda M-100, very happy with them.

Unfortunately I recently sold my APM, so no direct comparisons...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back