THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #286 of 3,411
I have prepared 6 settings for my RME Adi 2 Pro to be able to switch between the different cases.
Some of them are also useful for the RME Beta Firmware tests.

With how much +dBu would you go into Score One from the RME DAC?

Maybe it is just me, but to be honest the headband doesn't look that good for that price tag. The edges are uneven, the stiches also are not that well made. The color...well...it is kind of subjective, but in my opinion it cheapens the look.
More than that, I don't understand what's the point of having a wide headband and those two bulges along the edges. I mean, the idea of a wide headband is to distribute the weight evenly along a wider surface area. But instead of doing that those two bulges are going to dig into the scalp.

It was much better made, better looking and logical in the AKG K812. And for half the price.

The K812 and 872 would be far too bulky for today's standards 😎
The composer has a much more delicate structure👍
And honestly... I hardly think you'll get such a well-thought-out construct from the competition for 2500 euros 😉 🤣🤣

NOMAX

PS.and certainly not what sounds like this 😇
(And a K812 is far behind the composer in terms of its technical and tonal performance,he had his time...where he also brought me joy many, many years ago)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #287 of 3,411
The K812 and 872 would be far too bulky for today's standards 😎
The composer has a much more delicate structure👍
And honestly... I hardly think you'll get such a well-thought-out construct from the competition for 2500 euros 😉 🤣🤣

NOMAX

PS.and certainly not what sounds like it 😇
Well, they do probably sound great, but they certainly lack that premium feel that 2500-euro headphones are supposed to have, both in terms of design and premium materials. Even pads seem to be same as the one used in Hi-X25BT that cost 14 times less. The same inexpensive protein leather.
From this point of view these headphones are a step back compared to their predecessor, the AKG K812. Those were gorgeous looking headphones.
1696023607988.png

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #288 of 3,411
With how much +dBu would you go into Score One from the RME DAC?
I would try it with +4 dBu.
For my use case I'm going with this value first into a Subwoofer with a defined Input Level of +6 dBU / - 4dB calibratable.

I have also tested Auto Ref Level = On but I don't want a sudden Level change up to +24 dBu.
If you are on the Screen "Main Output 1/2" by pressing the I/O button you could change the manual value from +4 to +24 with the Encoder 2

According to your signature you are using a RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE. For this device I would also recommend to set the basic Mode to DAC e.g. if the source is USB

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #289 of 3,411
I would try it with +4 dBu.
For my use case I'm going with this value first into a Subwoofer with a defined Input Level of +6 dBU / - 4dB calibratable.

I have also tested Auto Ref Level = On but I don't want a sudden Level change up to +24 dBu.
If you are on the Screen "Main Output 1/2" by pressing the I/O button you could change the manual value from +4 to +24 with the Encoder 2
I am now at 😎

IMG_8401.jpeg

NOMAX

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #290 of 3,411
I think this is a rather high Level. :wink:

From experience I have to be careful with this setting because the Subwoofer Output is connected with the Nearfields input.
Sometimes when I'm testing DSD direct files the 0 dBr Level will be applied according to the settings and as a result this is getting really loud.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #291 of 3,411
I think this is a rather high Level. :wink:

From experience I have to be careful with this setting because the Subwoofer Output is connected with the Nearfields input.
Sometimes when I'm testing DSD direct files the 0 dBr Level will be applied according to the settings and as a result this is getting really loud.

You're right that less is better 👍...I'm up now manual not automatic at

IMG_8402.jpeg

As you can see, also a Nomax doesn't always know his way around... anything that isn't easy is definitely always a little difficult for him🙈

Thank you 👍

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #292 of 3,411
Now I'm going to test everything...not only with the Composer...that must also harmonize with other models...if not that would be too little for an analog amp for 1.500 euros😈

NOMAX

PS.lol

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #294 of 3,411
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #295 of 3,411
Well, they do probably sound great, but they certainly lack that premium feel that 2500-euro headphones are supposed to have, both in terms of design and premium materials. Even pads seem to be same as the one used in Hi-X25BT that cost 14 times less. The same inexpensive protein leather.
From this point of view these headphones are a step back compared to their predecessor, the AKG K812. Those were gorgeous looking headphones.
It is even more beautiful in person. A work of industrial and sonic art. K812 :heart_eyes:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #296 of 3,411
I think for anyone who puts tonal performance first, the Composer as an open back headphone will be very interesting

❗️My personal verdict❗

The Stealth remains unbeaten in spatial representation 👍
However the Composer is my first choice with his tonality and also with its technical performance for an open back headphone👍

NOMAX

PS.And for the advertised price of only 2500 euros I can really say with a smile ........Very well done👍
Hello NOMAX

You've said before that DCA Stealth is number one in tonal accuracy. In terms of tonal performance, it even approaches HE1. Is DCA Stealth about to hand over its position to AA COMPOSER? And AA COMPOSER seems to take the best parts of DCA Stealth and Nutopia. Is that too much to expect?

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #297 of 3,411
@Nomax If the HD800s soundstage is a 10, on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the soundstage of the utopia and the composer compared the HD800s ?

Utopia 5
Composer 7

NOMAX

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #298 of 3,411
Hello NOMAX

You've said before that DCA Stealth is number one in tonal accuracy. In terms of tonal performance, it even approaches HE1. Is DCA Stealth about to hand over its position to AA COMPOSER? And AA COMPOSER seems to take the best parts of DCA Stealth and Nutopia. Is that too much to expect?

As already mentioned, I would have imagined the Expanse to be more or less as tuned as the Composer is.
The Expanse lacks in transparency/speed for an open back headphones
I would describe the composer as a dynamic Stax but with low end/bass and not bright/peaky in the highs as stax can be
However, the illumination as well as the representation of the room in Stealth is still unmatched for me today
Dan Clark really did some magic there 👍

Take this piece of music as an example, even though I'm really not the biggest fan of this genre

Only the composer can do it in this way.....to show bass, body and transparency at the same time..❗️and that is unique❗

And that works for most of my genres too...that's why the composer is my personal number one for an Open Back Headphone

It works also great for one of my favorite tracks 😇

(My English isn't the best...I hope I found the right words🙈)

NOMAX

PS.also Gaga sounds beautiful 🥰👍

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #299 of 3,411
I'm a bit confused about the mechanism which tilts the earcups.

If I understand correctly, and pls someone correct me if i'm mistaken.... but this is for a better fit

I was thinking it would have been the driver which moved out at an angle to control soundstage/imaging... etc. like the mysphere but over ears with pads....

Also when NOMAX said he has a good laugh... i picture this

1696048036192.gif

(b/c he owns HE-1)

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #300 of 3,411
I'm a bit confused about the mechanism which tilts the earcups.

If I understand correctly, and pls someone correct me if i'm mistaken.... but this is for a better fit
There are people with different ear shapes, so it should seem logical (🤣)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back