The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 8, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #6,151 of 6,330
I recently acquired the AWAS thanks to a friendly Head-Fier. As someone who started out my headphone journey with Audio Technica, it's good to come home. The AWAS is sort of a "remaster" of my pad-rolled A990Z. By remaster, I mean it in the sense of a videogame remaster, where a good remaster will look and play like how you remember the original game looking and playing. It should keep all of the best parts that made an impression, while also cutting out or improving all of the issues that rose-colored glasses block out so that you don't resurface those memories. The AWAS has all of the rich and sweet vocals, airy percussion, and pleasant staging that I remember from the suede-earpad A990Z, and that's what I was really looking for in an AT. My main issues with it are concerning the fit, comfort, and cable. The fit is awkward, and would be a lot better if only AT went a bit further with padding. The stock cable is trash; worse than Hifiman stock cables in my estimation. Fortunately, the seller bundled a very nice Plussound cable.

Full impressions are in the AT Woodies thread.
I know the feeling listening to my ATH-W3000 ANNIVERSARY

love the sweet sound.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #6,153 of 6,330
Posting my closed back headphone collection and my impressions:

1708342825662.png

Focal Bathys - overall a nice dynamic soft v sound sig, probably the most detailed exciting wireless headphone I’ve heard yet
Bowers Px8 - a more flat, refined and relaxed sound sig, not as exciting as the Focals but it has better soundstage and noise cancellation

1708342846428.png

Audio Technica AP2000Ti - one of the more underappreciated headphones? It’s the very essence of sparkling airy highs. Very lively and dynamic headphone. Might be a bit too much for some people but this thing is absolutely killer for electronic music and modern pop. Makes you want to jump out of your seat and dance.
Fostex TH900 - it’s a bass monster. But a little bit TOO v shaped for my liking. I think the Denon D7200 is probably the ‘fixed’ version of this.
Dan Clark Aeon 2 - a nice upgrade over the Aeon X Closed I think. similar balanced tuning, very comfortable to wear, decent soundstage for a closed back, and more detail than the Aeon X closed. However, I still think the technicals can be improved but not without spending considerably over the price it’s asking for.

1708342890252.png

Fostex TH610 - fairly neutral tuning, nice detailed midrange, wish the fit wasn’t so loose though and also not a fan of the proprietary connectors
Dan Clark Aeon X Closed - probably my pick for best all around closed back at its price range, nice balanced tuning overall and a decent soundstage

1708342908680.png

Just tested the Focal Radiance vs the Denon D7200 today.
I’m not sure why the Denon D7200 is considered by some as a ‘basshead’ headphone because it’s actually reasonably balanced. Yes, there is a decent amount of bass but it’s not overwhelming at all, and the mids aren’t recessed either.
The Radiance on the other hand could actually be considered a basshead headphone because there’s substantial bass there, and it’s more of a v shaped sig (Harman sig actually) and the mids are a bit recessed on it.
Detail and soundstage are both are similar.
D7200 is just an all around great closed back that happens to have incredible slammy bass, Radiance if you have more bass quantity or v shaped headphones try it. They’re both great closed backs at it’s price range, just preference on tuning here.

Next I'm looking to try the Audio Technica AWKT but it's hard to find them for testing. Will see where I can find one discounted.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #6,154 of 6,330
LCD XC EQ’d by the Schiit Loki Mini + becomes an absolute monster of a headphone. I highly recommend tethering the XC to the LOKI MINI+. Analog tone controls are a terrific match for this headphone. The stock tuning of the LCD XC is now forever obsolete to me and for a good reason.

Attachments

• IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7351.jpeg
    IMG_7351.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #6,155 of 6,330
LCD XC EQ’d by the Schiit Loki Mini + becomes an absolute monster of a headphone. I highly recommend tethering the XC to the LOKI MINI+. Analog tone controls are a terrific match for this headphone. The stock tuning of the LCD XC is now forever obsolete to me and for a good reason.

Says a lot about Audeze when I've literally never heard of anyone really liking their stock tuning and everyone has to EQ them to sound good lol

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #6,156 of 6,330
Says a lot about Audeze when I've literally never heard of anyone really liking their stock tuning and everyone has to EQ them to sound good lol

Yeah, it seems like they thought a flat frequency response across the board was the way to go for headphones, which results in them having a massive upper mid and lower treble dip that sounds unlike anything else whether you like it or not. It seems like they learned from this with the Maxwell, LCD-5, and CRBN though.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #6,157 of 6,330
Hi, guys! I'm a new here and need an advice on choosing close-back headphones with GOOD (Best prob?) isolation of outgoing sound. Am not so good in english, but I'll try to describe my problem.
Due to life circumstances now I am force to listening music in the same room with a sleeping son.
In my setup now full open DT990pro, and "closed" (lol) Fostex Th-600, that play outside just as loudly.
The only available for now option was my old ath-m50, wich are very inferior in sound quality.
I'm not a big fan of iem for home use, especially after ear surgery, so I really need your advice.
I want to choose headphones with the best possible sound isolation and decent sound quality, which in this regard would not be a step back relative to th600.
I listen to a wide variety of musical genres and wanted wider soundstage, more pronounced and tasty mids when th600 gives. The bass in them is ok for me, and after 6 years with them I gained resistance to sibilants lol.
DT990 now seems to me too dark and boomy for some reason.
Also have always wanted to try planars, but if there are dynamic alternatives, then go on.
My budget for headphones is 1000$ or something like that (resale is not a problem).
Now I'm watching on Audeze LCD-2 Close/Lcd-XC, DCA Aeon 2 Noire, Hifiman Audivina, or, as dynamic option Hifiman R10d, some Kennerton models, like Gjallarhorn or Rognir. Or maybe save some money with dt 1770pro or shure 1540😄.
If you guys have tried any of these or have any suggestions, I would be very greatfull! Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #6,158 of 6,330
Hi, guys! I'm a new here and need an advice on choosing close-back headphones with GOOD (Best prob?) isolation of outgoing sound. Am not so good in english, but I'll try to describe my problem.
Due to life circumstances now I am force to listening music in the same room with a sleeping son.
In my setup now full open DT990pro, and "closed" (lol) Fostex Th-600, that play outside just as loudly.
The only available for now option was my old ath-m50, wich are very inferior in sound quality.
I'm not a big fan of iem for home use, especially after ear surgery, so I really need your advice.
I want to choose headphones with the best possible sound isolation and decent sound quality, which in this regard would not be a step back relative to th600.
I listen to a wide variety of musical genres and wanted wider soundstage, more pronounced and tasty mids when th600 gives. The bass in them is ok for me, and after 6 years with them I gained resistance to sibilants lol.
Also have always wanted to try planars, but if there are dynamic alternatives, then go on.
My budget for headphones is 1000$ or something like that (resale is not a problem).
Now I'm watching on Audeze LCD-2 Close/Lcd-XC, DCA Aeon 2 Noire, Hifiman Audivina, or, as dynamic option Hifiman R10d, some Kennerton models, like Gjallarhorn or Rognir. Or maybe save some money with dt 1770pro or shure 1540😄.
If you guys have tried any of these or have any suggestions, I would be very greatfull! Thanks!
Has to be one of the worlds big headphone questions. I am similar. Want closed back, wide soundstage.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #6,159 of 6,330

I was going to suggest the Aeon 2 Closed or Aeon 2 Noires and then you suggested them yourself. They're quite good at noise isolation and they're also a very good pair of headphones period. That said l, they aren't as bright in the treble as the DT990s, IME. They do still maintain very good extension though.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #6,160 of 6,330
. The XC really is or was designed to be a studio monitor and they tried to get a Harmon /neutral like tuning on them. For mastering audio, I can understand why the stock tuning can be very good, but for commercial listening? Yeah. Not so much. The sub bass is completely sucked out while the upper mids are far too forward to the point of being glaring and offensive, which is why the stock tuning didn’t do well with complex or fast musical passages.

Also. On a side note. I feel Audeze was a better company when Alex Rosson was with them. Remember his amp designs? The Deckard and The King MK2? God. Those were awesome.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #6,161 of 6,330
I was going to suggest the Aeon 2 Closed or Aeon 2 Noires and then you suggested them yourself. They're quite good at noise isolation and they're also a very good pair of headphones period. That said l, they aren't as bright in the treble as the DT990s, IME. They do still maintain very good extension though.
It's nice to hear that they have good sound isolation! I read several reviews and reviewers characterized their isolation as above average. It’s a pity I don’t have the opportunity to listen to the headphones before purchasing

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #6,162 of 6,330
It's nice to hear that they have good sound isolation! I read several reviews and reviewers characterized their isolation as above average. It’s a pity I don’t have the opportunity to listen to the headphones before purchasing

FWIW, the LCD-2 Closed have pretty good isolation too (not as good as the Noires, IME), but their tuning is pretty whacked so EQ is essentially a necessity. Ideally we'd all love to be able to demo a pair before we pick them up, but sometimes that's just not possible. DCA makes some of my favorite headphones and I think the Aeon 2 Closed and Aeon 2 Noires are the best closed back planars available for the money. The Noires have good bass kick, though it's not a bass heavy headphone, with good detail retrieval, good staging and imaging for a closed back, etc and they're incredibly comfortable. Basically, I think the only way you're not gonna end up liking them is if the tuning and presentation don't click with you. Unfortunately, that's a highly personal determination that I can't help you with.

All of that said, there's a reason that the Noires have a good reputation in the community and that's because they're a solid pair of headphones that are enjoyed by many people. In the bright side, if you pick up a used pair for a good price and don't like them, they'll be pretty easy to resell and get your money back. If you buy a new pair and end up deciding to resell them you'll take a hit, but because of their reputation and relative popularity, they hold decent resale value so that hit won't be as big as it will be with many others. That's all based on my opinions and experiences, but it's food for thought anyways.

Another way to go if you decide to go with a dynamic driver based headphone and want to pick something that you might be more familiar with would be the DT770 or DT1770. They have a similar basic tuning and presentation to your DT990s so they probably aren't as big of a leap of faith or "shot in the dark" as the Noires. Personally, I think the Noires are better than either the 770 or 1770, but since you dig you 990s they might be a solid choice for you.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #6,163 of 6,330
Posting my closed back headphone collection and my impressions:

1708342825662.png

Focal Bathys - overall a nice dynamic soft v sound sig, probably the most detailed exciting wireless headphone I’ve heard yet
Bowers Px8 - a more flat, refined and relaxed sound sig, not as exciting as the Focals but it has better soundstage and noise cancellation

1708342846428.png

Audio Technica AP2000Ti - one of the more underappreciated headphones? It’s the very essence of sparkling airy highs. Very lively and dynamic headphone. Might be a bit too much for some people but this thing is absolutely killer for electronic music and modern pop. Makes you want to jump out of your seat and dance.
Fostex TH900 - it’s a bass monster. But a little bit TOO v shaped for my liking. I think the Denon D7200 is probably the ‘fixed’ version of this.
Dan Clark Aeon 2 - a nice upgrade over the Aeon X Closed I think. similar balanced tuning, very comfortable to wear, decent soundstage for a closed back, and more detail than the Aeon X closed. However, I still think the technicals can be improved but not without spending considerably over the price it’s asking for.

1708342890252.png

Fostex TH610 - fairly neutral tuning, nice detailed midrange, wish the fit wasn’t so loose though and also not a fan of the proprietary connectors
Dan Clark Aeon X Closed - probably my pick for best all around closed back at its price range, nice balanced tuning overall and a decent soundstage

1708342908680.png

Just tested the Focal Radiance vs the Denon D7200 today.
I’m not sure why the Denon D7200 is considered by some as a ‘basshead’ headphone because it’s actually reasonably balanced. Yes, there is a decent amount of bass but it’s not overwhelming at all, and the mids aren’t recessed either.
The Radiance on the other hand could actually be considered a basshead headphone because there’s substantial bass there, and it’s more of a v shaped sig (Harman sig actually) and the mids are a bit recessed on it.
Detail and soundstage are both are similar.
D7200 is just an all around great closed back that happens to have incredible slammy bass, Radiance if you have more bass quantity or v shaped headphones try it. They’re both great closed backs at it’s price range, just preference on tuning here.

Next I'm looking to try the Audio Technica AWKT but it's hard to find them for testing. Will see where I can find one discounted.

D7200 is highly underrated in my view. Unfortunately price went astronomical...I think Denons adjusted todays inflationary prices. Few years ago you could find D7200 for 350$/eur which was an incredible value

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #6,164 of 6,330
I think out of the ones you listed, DCA Aeon 2 Noire is generally considered the most all around appealing. It's the best tuned out of those. I have the Aeon 2 (non Noire) and it's almost reference level tuning very neutral and balanced. LCD-XC and Audivina are divisive headphones and need to be tried for sure.
Has to be one of the worlds big headphone questions. I am similar. Want closed back, wide soundstage.
Suggesting the Dan Clark Aeon 2 / Noires here as well, they are decent soundstage for a closed back. If you have the money for it, I heard the Dan Clark E3s are also excellent. Also I would like to recommend some of the higher end Audio-Technicas like the AWAS, AWKT and AP2000Ti if you can afford them they all have quite good soundstage too.
. The XC really is or was designed to be a studio monitor and they tried to get a Harmon /neutral like tuning on them. For mastering audio, I can understand why the stock tuning can be very good, but for commercial listening? Yeah. Not so much. The sub bass is completely sucked out while the upper mids are far too forward to the point of being glaring and offensive, which is why the stock tuning didn’t do well with complex or fast musical passages.

Also. On a side note. I feel Audeze was a better company when Alex Rosson was with them. Remember his amp designs? The Deckard and The King MK2? God. Those were awesome.
Harman isn't neutral it's actually a v shaped tuning, it just happens most consumers like v shaped tuning.
D7200 is highly underrated in my view. Unfortunately price went astronomical...I think Denons adjusted todays inflationary prices. Few years ago you could find D7200 for 350$/eur which was an incredible value
Agree. D7200 is amazing. Don't know why people don't talk about it more. It's got the detailed bass of the Fostex TH900 but without the sharp v shaped tuning that turns off a lot of audiophiles. It's the 'fixed' TH900 basically and on top of that retails for less than the TH900. You can find Denons and other japanese headphones quite a bit discounted from Japan. I actually got mine in very good condition for - get this - $450 USD in Japan. What a steal.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #6,165 of 6,330
Harman isn't neutral it's actually a v shaped tuning, it just happens most consumers like v shaped tuning.

Just to add to this, there is a separate Harman curve representing neutrality - the Harman in-room linear response curve. DCA and many HiFiMans can easily be EQ'd to this tuning. It's worth trying when experimenting to find out what frequency response you prefer, though it's not what most people prefer according to their research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back