Audio Technica the master of WOOD
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #436 of 480
What about bass impact? Utopia is definitely better. Maybe elite also.
As an overall presentation, again when you find great synergy with Susvara. I found the bass not lacking in anything and only find their is a preference of quantity and not over quality. If you’re looking for straight bass headphone only I’d consider Utopia.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #437 of 480
As an overall presentation, again when you find great synergy with Susvara. I found the bass not lacking in anything and only find their is a preference of quantity and not over quality. If you’re looking for straight bass headphone only I’d consider Utopia.
I have and love Utopia and nothing does bass impact and neutrality like it but this is an AT woody thread so back on topic…ATs do great vocals!

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #438 of 480
Been waking up around 5.30 am because of the medication I am currently taking. I am a half cup full kind of guy. :wink: So, I take it as me having more time for music. So, I am blessed that I have the means to enjoy the music.

I think the L5000 has started to really open up now. Although not as lush as some of its siblings, its sound is nevertheless filling out and becoming more nuanced and layered. :)

IMG_2471.jpeg

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #439 of 480
My first AT wood headphone - the AWAS - is on the way!

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #441 of 480
Good move on the AWAS as an intro. It’s a very approachable tuning for anyone not familiar withe AT house sound.
Been waking up around 5.30 am because of the medication I am currently taking. I am a half cup full kind of guy. :wink: So, I take it as me having more time for music. So, I am blessed that I have the means to enjoy the music.

I think the L5000 has started to really open up now. Although not as lush as some of its siblings, its sound is nevertheless filling out and becoming more nuanced and layered. :)

I almost snagged one while on a 4 day vacation side trip in SG. Only almost as the wife was with me and wasn't too excited for me to drop a good amount of cash while on vacation lol. I will be back next year. So much hidden treasures at the store and they are such wonderful people.
IMG_7499.jpeg

I did pick up the BHA100 amp and tho it’s supposed to be a perfect AWKT pairing, it’s with the W1000z Maestoso is where I'm more entertained and hooked on. The pairing (ADI-2 DAC+BHA100+W1000z) is just amazing. Strings, percussion, horns and everything jazz, even vocal is simply organic and full bodied. W1000z is pad swapped.
IMG_8181.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #442 of 480
Look forward to hearing what you think of it. It is an easy listening pair of headphones. :)

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #443 of 480
I almost snagged one while on a 4 day vacation side trip in SG. Only almost as the wife was with me and wasn't too excited for me to drop a good amount of cash while on vacation lol. I will be back next year. So much hidden treasures at the store and they are such wonderful people.
IMG_7499.jpeg
Nice! Pity that you did not pick it up in the end. Yes, Claire did ping me to let me know you had dropped by. I had given Wilson and Claire a heads up that you were dropping by in Jan. :) Yes, they are lovely folks at Jaben SG. And, yes, there is so much great gems crammed into the little headphone store. :wink:

I did pick up the BHA100 amp and tho it’s supposed to be a perfect AWKT pairing, it’s with the W1000z Maestoso is where I'm more entertained and hooked on. The pairing (ADI-2 DAC+BHA100+W1000z) is just amazing. Strings, percussion, horns and everything jazz, even vocal is simply organic and full bodied. W1000z is pad swapped.
IMG_8181.jpeg
Nice! I am curious about the W1000Z... Because I see there is the W1000, the W1000X and the W1000Z as well...

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #444 of 480
Good move on the AWAS as an intro. It’s a very approachable tuning for anyone not familiar withe AT house sound.
It's actually not my first rodeo with Audio Technica. My first audiophile headphone was the A990Z, which I got back in 2018. I loved how it presented vocals, especially with microsuede pads. It's been a while since I've had an AT, and I haven't heard any of the wood models either. So the AWAS was a natural choice.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #445 of 480
awas.jpg

The AWAS is here! The wood is a darker red than it looked in the product page photos, which is nice. The product page made it look like a tomato red color, but this red is more dignified IMO. The headphone looks very good and it feels very good in the hand.

Comfort-wise, it's fine, but it could be better. Audio Technica always uses earpads that are a bit too thin for my preference. My ears stick out quite a bit (25mm measured from the front at the cheekbone), so even with the angled drivers my earlobes are smushed against the driver. For reference, the Sony MDR-Z1R just barely gives my ears enough space to not get pressed against something in the earcup. Not the worst I've ever experienced, but not as comfortable as it could be. It reminds me a bit of the A990Z where I needed to swap to thicker earpads in order for the comfort to really work. The headband is alright. I think the two-piece design is pretty neat, but it could use a bit more padding on the underside where it meets the scalp. It's better than the stock wings were on the A990Z, but worse than the A990Z with thicker earpads. Also, for people with lumpy heads like me, it's important to get the angle right, because the wrong angle means that the weight isn't evenly distributed across both arcs and that gets uncomfortable very quickly. Unfortunately, the AWAS doesn't have the "disappear on head" comfort that I get with some other headphones.

More on the earpads and earcup: I wish the earcup could swing upwards and downwards a bit more. The design of the attachment fork limits the upward swing, so the earpads make a better seal above my ears than below. I'm not sure if I'm getting a good seal below my ears as a result (and the thin earpads don't help in that regard), and the lateral clamp pressure on my head is more concentrated above my ears rather than distributed all around. I recall a similar issue on the A990Z, so it's a bit unfortunate that this seems to be a limitation of AT's earcup attachment design. Also, since the earcups don't rotate downwards all that much, the bottoms of the earpads get pressed against each other more than the other parts, so I can already see deformation in the foam at the bottom of the left earpad. This doesn't help with pad longevity or the acoustic seal. All in all, comfort is just ok. Better than the stock A990Z, but it would be even better with a bit more earpad thickness and headband padding. Maybe I could attach some extra cushioning there.

In the picture is the 5ft PlusSound cable that was included by the seller. It's wayyy better than the stock unbalanced cable in every practical way. The stock cable is thin, rigid, and ridiculously microphonic! And ugly on top of all that. The PlusSound cable is flexible, soft, nicely braided, minimally microphonic, and beautiful to look at, everything that you could want in a cable. I just need to keep it away from my cat as she has a tendency to bite braided cloth cables. She's a cable connoisseur! I'm not much of a cable roller, so I didn't notice any notable difference between the stock cable and this cable in terms of sound, but I'll probably do a few A/B tests to try it out. I'm very glad the seller included the cable, as I probably wouldn't have bought such a cable myself.

Speaking of sound...

The AWAS is what I remember the pad-rolled A990Z as sounding like at its best. Vocals are rich and forward but not shouty. String plucks are very well defined. Treble is extremely airy with cymbals and hi-hats cutting through the mix with ease. Bass is limited in quantity, but subjectively fast and can hit surprisingly hard. The sound overall is bright yet also not fatiguing at the same time, while still retaining a bit of warmth in the low-end. Soundstaging is decent; it's not super-spacious like the MDR-Z1R, but it's also not in my face. It has everything that I expected an AT to have in its sound. In that way, I'm very pleased with its sound.

I'm still in the initial evaluation phase in terms of sound, and I recently acquired another headphone as well which will split my listening time, so it will probably take some time to fully understand the AWAS. But my first impressions can be summed up as the AWAS being like a remaster of the pad-rolled A990Z, in the sense of a videogame remaster. A good remaster of an old videogame should look and play like what you remember the original game looking and playing like. The AWAS sounds like what I nostalgically recall the A990Z sounding like, including all of its good parts that I fondly remember while smoothing over the bad parts.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #446 of 480
This just came in today. The ATH W100 which I won off eBay. Strangely enough I don’t see them at Yahoo JP auctions. Of course now that I have a pair, I am certain they will appear. :wink:

Will sit back and relax and enjoy these this evening. May they sound half as gorgeous as they look. :)

IMG_3405.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3407.jpeg

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #447 of 480
Thought I would start the week with some time on the AW-KG Naru. Always a pleasure. It is probably one of the best all rounders I have heard from ATH thus far. :)

IMG_3516.jpeg

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #448 of 480
Owners of AWAS or AWKT does one or both of your angled driver touch your ear when wearing it for a while when pads sunk in?

For me its only the left side which suggests to me it seems to be variation of how well they have angled it for it not to happen.

Could you almost say faulty unit?

But just assessing variation with eyes its hard to tell much difference, then the pads might have more variation by the looks.

I consider my self having fairly normal sized ears that dont stand out. Its a struggle to wear them all day having to reseat them often.

Crinacles Frequency graph above suggest also more then normal variation from left and right driver?

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #449 of 480
The new Audio-Technica ATH-AWGK Kurogaki, released today.

I’ve had the privilege of having them on hand for a little while and enjoyed getting to know them.

Fitted with ZMF Universe Hybrid Solid pads (original AT pads also available), these headphones provide a very good resolution coupled with a warm and intimate presentation, gorgeous mids, and a textured mid-bass.

Made of the rare black persimmon wood (Kurogaki), the AWKG's availability will be limited. They will be available for demo at CanJam NYC this weekend.

1709780379294.jpeg

1709780415902.jpeg

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #450 of 480
The new Audio-Technica ATH-AWGK Kurogaki, released today.

I’ve had the privilege of having them on hand for a little while and enjoyed getting to know them.

Fitted with ZMF Universe Hybrid Solid pads (original AT pads also available), these headphones provide a very good resolution coupled with a warm and intimate presentation, gorgeous mids, and a textured mid-bass.

Made of the rare black persimmon wood (Kurogaki), the AWKG's availability will be limited. They will be available for demo at CanJam NYC this weekend.

1709780379294.jpeg

1709780415902.jpeg
Yeah… it’s a gorgeous looking and sounding pair of woodies! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back