The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 31, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #5,851 of 6,351
Hey Everyone :)

here is a little write up in case someone is searching for a good commuting / office setup that does not break the bank and is quite capable.
For a quite long time i was on the hunt for a Setup that was.

-low Profile
-mobile
-closed back
-not tooo expensive
-has one sided cable entry
-has a "fun" tunning but was not V shape (i did try the Sony MDR1AM2 and hated it)
-was detailed an dynamic enough to spend some quality listing time in the office

After some try and error i came across the AKG K371 (i know not hidden gem anymore) an decided try it on my beloved BTR7 after it
arrived it was ... OK ... the tunning was nice but the subbass was just too much for me and it was to lean in the upper bass/lower mids for my taste and the pads where just horrendous i could not wear them for more than 15 minutes .After some research i came across the Dekoni Choice Leather pads for the AKG371 and was like "UFFF 50 euro for pads???!"... but bought them anyway... and they fixed everything they tamed the subbass added some warmth and are very comfortable.
I am using this combo for a few weeks now and i am blown away and can only recommend it for mobile an office use.

PXL_20230731_173408063.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #5,853 of 6,351
Aug 1, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #5,856 of 6,351
Hey Everyone :)

here is a little write up in case someone is searching for a good commuting / office setup that does not break the bank and is quite capable.
For a quite long time i was on the hunt for a Setup that was.

-low Profile
-mobile
-closed back
-not tooo expensive
-has one sided cable entry
-has a "fun" tunning but was not V shape (i did try the Sony MDR1AM2 and hated it)
-was detailed an dynamic enough to spend some quality listing time in the office

After some try and error i came across the AKG K371 (i know not hidden gem anymore) an decided try it on my beloved BTR7 after it
arrived it was ... OK ... the tunning was nice but the subbass was just too much for me and it was to lean in the upper bass/lower mids for my taste and the pads where just horrendous i could not wear them for more than 15 minutes .After some research i came across the Dekoni Choice Leather pads for the AKG371 and was like "UFFF 50 euro for pads???!"... but bought them anyway... and they fixed everything they tamed the subbass added some warmth and are very comfortable.
I am using this combo for a few weeks now and i am blown away and can only recommend it for mobile an office use.

PXL_20230731_173408063.MP.jpg
The pads sure look nice, but the subbass is what makes the K371 interesting to me… removing that special trait would be counterproductive therefore, even with increased comfort…

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #5,858 of 6,351
Are the recommendations on page 1 updated since 03/03/2022?
No, the original poster Malevolent seems to have left us behind and moved on. I faintly remember him saying something to that effect.
Most of the original posters I have not seen for quite some time either…

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #5,861 of 6,351
Anyone here have an Austrian Audio HI-X25BT set? Any reason why the USB-C-to-C cable should not output audio when connected to my phone or laptop? Have had no success so far. May as well ask here before customer support gets back to me as it's a weekend.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #5,862 of 6,351
Anyone here have an Austrian Audio HI-X25BT set? Any reason why the USB-C-to-C cable should not output audio when connected to my phone or laptop? Have had no success so far. May as well ask here before customer support gets back to me as it's a weekend.
Common mistake: Have you followed the instructions?

From the manual:

If your Hi-X25BT is plugged in to a notebook for example, you can continue to listen to music via the plugged in USB-cable while your headphones are charging. To let your Hi-X25BT know that you want to switch from Bluetooth® mode to digital audio mode, please press the on/off button briefly.

If yes, AND you’re using the included cable, then either your headphones are faulty, your cable is faulty or your devices are faulty.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #5,863 of 6,351
Common mistake: Have you followed the instructions?

From the manual:

If your Hi-X25BT is plugged in to a notebook for example, you can continue to listen to music via the plugged in USB-cable while your headphones are charging. To let your Hi-X25BT know that you want to switch from Bluetooth® mode to digital audio mode, please press the on/off button briefly.

If yes, AND you’re using the included cable, then either your headphones are faulty, your cable is faulty or your devices are faulty.
I did get them to work off the phone after some fiddling around but they sound so weak. Barely able to hear them on USB-C mode. Not sure if that's supposed to happen. More testing is needed but I have heard these can be hard to drive!

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #5,864 of 6,351
what is best isolating closed back? I listen to classical, soundtracks and jazz mostly. But in a very loud environment. Mostly thinking about the Audeze LCD-xc, Verite Closed, Focal Radiance but open to others. Detail retrieval and Isolation are my main concerns.

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #5,865 of 6,351
what is best isolating closed back? I listen to classical, soundtracks and jazz mostly. But in a very loud environment. Mostly thinking about the Audeze LCD-xc, Verite Closed, Focal Radiance but open to others. Detail retrieval and Isolation are my main concerns.

Dan Clark Aeons are good at that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back