The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 11, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #5,821 of 6,351
I'm on the exact path! Love my HD650s and look for a closed-back version/upgrade. So far I tried Denon 7200/9200, ATH awas and ap2000ti, DCA aeon x and ether cx, Audeze lcd-xc. None of them have the rich midrange/vocal I'm looking for. Haven't tried the Kennerton or ZMF cans, none of my local shop have demo units.
Audio-Technica has really voice-centered closed-back headphones.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #5,822 of 6,351
wow if the LCD-X isnt mid focused enough for you i dont know what is. but that does bring me to a curious question, i know in the LCD-2 things were different driver wise than the 2 closed but when i got my recent pair of LCD-X drivers the sticker on the bag said "Driver replacement kit for LCD-X and XC" can the X just be closed up? i know in the cups of the LCD-2 closed theres some sort of circuit though im unsure of its purpose, is this in the XC too (the cups look less pronounced so im thinking no)

I know i know, im desperately trying to make LCD-Xs sound like LCD-2s rather than just get LCD-2s again but im kinda tempted to save and get the Lirics which are essentially my endgame, although to be fair the LCDs were till i heard the Lirics

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #5,824 of 6,351
@JeffJ, that is indeed what is being said.
But there is an overlap between the frequencies of male and female singing voices. So emphasizing the female singing voice also lifts at least part of male singing voice.
  • Female voice fundamentals may range from around 350 Hz to 3,000 Hz. Their harmonics go from 3,000 Hz to 17,000 Hz.
  • Male vocal fundamentals start at 100 Hz and top out at about 900 Hz. Their harmonics stretch between 900 Hz and 8,000 Hz.
Source

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #5,825 of 6,351
Does anyone know of aftermarket pads that don't change the sound of the m50x much but improves comfort?

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #5,826 of 6,351
I've ordered a set of zmf pads for the m50x to try

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #5,827 of 6,351
I've ordered a set of zmf pads for the m50x to try
No! I ordered those and sold them - sorry to say, they weren't good. I tried on both M50X and the BT version. Very strange presentation, totally removed the impact and clarity. A bit of a let down tbh. I've been through a few pads on these and my favourite by far are Yaxi StPads2. They improve comfort, retain bass, but give more clarity. Really happy with them.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #5,828 of 6,351
No! I ordered those and sold them - sorry to say, they weren't good. I tried on both M50X and the BT version. Very strange presentation, totally removed the impact and clarity. A bit of a let down tbh. I've been through a few pads on these and my favourite by far are Yaxi StPads2. They improve comfort, retain bass, but give more clarity. Really happy with them.
Ah no! Pretty expensive too. I suppose I can sell them if I don't like them. I use those yaxi pads on the wp900 which I quite like. I use the m50 x as my throw in a bag and use out and about set. I know they get a lot of bad press but as long as you are ok with a v shaped sound they are great. Won't break in your bag either

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #5,829 of 6,351
Ah no! Pretty expensive too. I suppose I can sell them if I don't like them. I use those yaxi pads on the wp900 which I quite like. I use the m50 x as my throw in a bag and use out and about set. I know they get a lot of bad press but as long as you are ok with a v shaped sound they are great. Won't break in your bag either
Yes, expensive with customs fee also. Let me know what you think. I was pretty excited for them, as Zach's video indicated they'd match the original presentation but...nope.

Yeah, same for me, in the bag for daily use - the BT version are crazy good for the price and the battery life is like 60 hours or something...!

BTW: I do use ZMF's headband on the M50x and find that works really well.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #5,830 of 6,351
I've been thinking of getting the bluetooth set. Would be perfect for any use away from my desk . Pretty good price too

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #5,831 of 6,351
Hi all,
Not sure that this isthe right place to ask this but I need help.
Looking for a closed-back, wired, comfortable headphone to use. I have Sennheiser hd400s, head-band is not comfortable at all. My budget is around $100-$150 maximum.
Thanks

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #5,832 of 6,351
Increase your budget and buy Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro-X.
They will last you a life-time :L3000:

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #5,833 of 6,351
Hi all,
Not sure that this isthe right place to ask this but I need help.
Looking for a closed-back, wired, comfortable headphone to use. I have Sennheiser hd400s, head-band is not comfortable at all. My budget is around $100-$150 maximum.
Thanks
The already mentioned Beyerdynamic DT700 is an excellent option and worth your consideration, even if a bit above your budget. It's robust, spare parts are available, its comfortable, a closed back design with high isolation and excellent sound: balanced, yet lively, with good bass but not overpowering. They're rather new, so discounts may be hard to find... but maybe a used unit or Beyer B-Stock (mostly returned units, like new).

If you like your bass, the new Ultrasone Signature Pure at 169€ might also be a nice option. They're new and on backorder though.

My personal love affair, the original V-Moda M-100, might also be available used in good condition within your budget. Bass with taste, and not over everything else, though their focus is modern electronics.

Edit: the AKG K371 is also a nice, balanced option within budget.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #5,835 of 6,351
Thanks for the recommendations, I forgot the mention that I will use them in the office or outside with my laptop. K371 seems the best option for this, if there is no affortable alternative.
The K371 should fit your use cases just fine I think. It folds by rotating the cups with the lower part of the headband, (hard to describe, see the photos here https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K371-.html ), which makes it much more compact for transport than e.g. the DT700.
The Audio Technica ATH-M50x is another good budget headphone, though I prefer the AKG for its more balanced sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back