The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 17, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #5,836 of 6,351
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #5,837 of 6,351
For transplant? I didn't know people were transplanting headphones nowadays 😜

On a more serious note: i would second the K371 recommendation. Nice harman-tuned lightweight allrounder.
Don’t you know? The next step beyond CIEM :wink:

I’ve corrected what autocorrect did to my intentions though… always worth checking before clicking „send“…

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #5,838 of 6,351
Hello,

I hope it's the good thread for my question, I'm searching for a closed back headphone, mid price range.
I like headphones with bass, impactfull bass (not rounded) and with some details and nuances.

For now I'm listening two beyers : DT 700 pro X and DT 1770 (with good deal the DT 1770 can be close in price to the dt 700).

I find the DT 1770 more detailled, with more informations, but is more demanding against the source, the mix quality.
At middle and low level listeting, the DT 1770 give more impact I found. The snap, drum and line of basse are a little more enjoyable.
The DT700 is more easy, more foregiven, and for long session I suppose less tiring.

I do the comparaison with oratory1990 EQ (thank to him).

Are you agree or not with this statement about both headphones ? opinions ?

Thank you.

Regards

Jul 24, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #5,839 of 6,351
gug42, I demoed both of them a long time ago, and used to own DT1770pro for a short period, and I fully agree with you. DT1770pro is definitely more revealing than DT700proX, and they also go deeper into the sub-bass region. Interlude by Yosi Horikawa is a totally different experience when heard with DT1770pro. Unfortunately I had to give up my DT1770pro since it was too heavy and causing problem with my already problematic neck.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #5,840 of 6,351
Hello,

I hope it's the good thread for my question, I'm searching for a closed back headphone, mid price range.
I like headphones with bass, impactfull bass (not rounded) and with some details and nuances.

For now I'm listening two beyers : DT 700 pro X and DT 1770 (with good deal the DT 1770 can be close in price to the dt 700).

I find the DT 1770 more detailled, with more informations, but is more demanding against the source, the mix quality.
At middle and low level listeting, the DT 1770 give more impact I found. The snap, drum and line of basse are a little more enjoyable.
The DT700 is more easy, more foregiven, and for long session I suppose less tiring.

Thank you.

Regards
I owned both in the past, but with too much time in between to give any comparison. I do remember the DT1770 as having a more controlled bass that was focused on midbass, not subbass (one reason to sell it, I do love my subbass...). The DT700 is a bit easier to drive, and more forgiving for sure.
And yes, the DT1770 is rather heavy, though not unreasonably so. I remember it as having rather strong clamping force and not being the most comfortable headphone. The DT700 was easy to wear for longer, thoug it, too, has rather strong clamp. It features wonderful pads though.

If your focus is on bass impact and overall details, the DT1770 might fit your taste better I'd say.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #5,841 of 6,351
@SkyZippr @plakat : thx to you both to confirm my sensation. You know what it is, I'm not trully trusted my self when it comes to fealling and ear memory :)
Ok so for now, the equalized DT 1770 seems to fit me better :) Great.

@plakat : did you have reference of mid rance priced closed back headphone with subbass and not too warmth mid ?

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #5,842 of 6,351
@SkyZippr @plakat : thx to you both to confirm my sensation. You know what it is, I'm not trully trusted my self when it comes to fealling and ear memory :)
Ok so for now, the equalized DT 1770 seems to fit me better :) Great.

@plakat : did you have reference of mid rance priced closed back headphone with subbass and not too warmth mid ?

Ultimately its not about what others hear, but you :wink:
Don't overthink it, try various models and see what you like best.

One that might fit that sound signature quite well is the AKG K371: excellent subbass, with even some emphasis, nicely detailed and quite affordable. If you're into electronic music like me, the original M-100 is always worth a look as well. A really well done basshead model that doesn't forget other parts of the music. I did not like the newer Master version though, it lost some of the fun of the original M-100, which can nowadays only be found used. Fitting it with the optional XL pads shifts the bass emphasis slightly down btw, and increases comfort. The more current Crossfade Wireless 2 and 3 also feature good subbass extension and offer the advantage of a Bluetooth mode.

I currently own the Denon D9200, which would unfortunately be quite a stretch to include in mid price segment though. Once owned the D7200, its smaller brother, but prefer the finer treble of the D9200. Unfortunately I never heard the youngest brother, the D5200. Could be worth checking out, and should fall into the targeted price segment.

The Shure SRH840A has articulated bass as well, good comfort and robust build quality while not breaking the bank.

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,843 of 6,351
The Denon D5200 is an excellent headphone for the money. I owned this for a while and it sounds GREAT. I've always thought it odd that Denon headphones rarely get mentioned in headphone conversations? They are very solid in construction, feel and most importantly...sound quality. Back to the D5200, I put on the Meze mono silver plated cables (for the 99 series) and it made all the sense. Great detail, VERY nice, impactful bass etc. REALLY Great sound for minimal $$

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #5,844 of 6,351
@plakat : you are right, but sometimes I doubt about me, in my nature :)

I have already test the K371 : I find it with a good balance, but short on details, a point of harsh in trebble, and bass fall a little short (like they are cut in time) ... and I did'nt like the pads at all (fake leather and small ear volumes)

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #5,845 of 6,351
The Denon D5200 is an excellent headphone for the money. I owned this for a while and it sounds GREAT. I've always thought it odd that Denon headphones rarely get mentioned in headphone conversations? They are very solid in construction, feel and most importantly...sound quality. Back to the D5200, I put on the Meze mono silver plated cables (for the 99 series) and it made all the sense. Great detail, VERY nice, impactful bass etc. REALLY Great sound for minimal $$
The 5200, 7200 and 9200 get quite a bit of love around here. The 5200 is a solid option that plays nice with everything... If you can get it on sale or possibly used. Definitely better options at full retail imo.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #5,846 of 6,351
@plakat : you are right, but sometimes I doubt about me, in my nature :)

I have already test the K371 : I find it with a good balance, but short on details, a point of harsh in trebble, and bass fall a little short (like they are cut in time) ... and I did'nt like the pads at all (fake leather and small ear volumes)
I don't remember specific problems with treble, but comfort was subpar for me as well, the cups not being deep enough unfortunately.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #5,850 of 6,351
Hello,

Thank you.

Regards
Not sure what you consider mid price, but both the Kennerton Magni and LSA HP-3 are very good closed back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back