The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 15, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #5,761 of 6,351
I used to own the thx00 and was good but looking for something with isolation. Would the dt1770 be a good choice?
DT1770 isolates quite well, yes. Certainly a good headphone, I just prefer an emphasis on low bass while the DT1770 has a slight midbass hump — maybe a good thing for rock though

May 15, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #5,762 of 6,351
Has anyone compared the LCD2 Closed to the Aeon noir and the Argon mk3. I think I'm leaning more towards a planar closed back and I own the argon which I know is a semi open.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #5,765 of 6,351
I'm looking for a closed back to upgrade from my HD 650s. I live in the Chicago area and I'm going to my first CanJam this month so I'm definitely going to try out all the ZMF closed backs since those seem to be closest to what I'm looking for as far as I know of, but if there are any other headphones I should be aware of it would be great to get some advice.

The most important thing to me is that the headphones I upgrade to have timbre and midrange that's just as musical and natural as the HD 650s, and ideally even moreso if that's possible. From what I can tell that basically rules out all planars and also stuff like Focal. How do people find the timbre and musicality of Kennertons compare to ZMF? I'm also sensitive to upper midrange and lower treble, so I tend to go for warmer than "neutral". Better imaging and bigger soundstage would also be great, but I understand that's difficult when going from an open back to closed back, except maybe with a headphone like the Atrium Closed. For context, my amp and DAC are the Magni Piety and Modi Multibit 2.

If ZMF does indeed seem like they fit my preferences best then I'll probably end up going home with whichever pair of theirs I like best at CanJam, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything first!

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #5,766 of 6,351
I'm looking for a closed back to upgrade from my HD 650s. I live in the Chicago area and I'm going to my first CanJam this month so I'm definitely going to try out all the ZMF closed backs since those seem to be closest to what I'm looking for as far as I know of, but if there are any other headphones I should be aware of it would be great to get some advice.

The most important thing to me is that the headphones I upgrade to have timbre and midrange that's just as musical and natural as the HD 650s, and ideally even moreso if that's possible. From what I can tell that basically rules out all planars and also stuff like Focal. How do people find the timbre and musicality of Kennertons compare to ZMF? I'm also sensitive to upper midrange and lower treble, so I tend to go for warmer than "neutral". Better imaging and bigger soundstage would also be great, but I understand that's difficult when going from an open back to closed back, except maybe with a headphone like the Atrium Closed. For context, my amp and DAC are the Magni Piety and Modi Multibit 2.

If ZMF does indeed seem like they fit my preferences best then I'll probably end up going home with whichever pair of theirs I like best at CanJam, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything first!
Check out the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, my faves. Smooth and somewhat darkish upper mids and lower treble, fantastic low end, and quite the out of head experience for a closed back. Extremely musical, solid instrument seperation, not too thin or thick, plenty of meat on the bone, highly engaging... Did I mention how musical it is?

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #5,767 of 6,351
Check out the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, my faves. Smooth and somewhat darkish upper mids and lower treble, fantastic low end, and quite the out of head experience for a closed back. Extremely musical, solid instrument seperation, not too thin or thick, plenty of meat on the bone, highly engaging... Did I mention how musical it is?
I echo these sentiments.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #5,768 of 6,351

Kennertons are great indeed, I have listened to Rorgnir Dynamic and they were trully amazing. I would definitely added Denon D9200 or D7200 to the list they are very musical and on the other side of boring. Once I have tried those I sold my Sennheisers I had except HD25. Sennheisers to me always sounded quite thin and boring to my taste. Depends on your preferences.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #5,769 of 6,351
Kennertons are great indeed, I have listened to Rorgnir Dynamic and they were trully amazing. I would definitely added Denon D9200 or D7200 to the list they are very musical and on the other side of boring. Once I have tried those I sold my Sennheisers I had except HD25. Sennheisers to me always sounded quite thin and boring to my taste. Depends on your preferences.
Echo these sentiments too around the D9200

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #5,770 of 6,351
The 9200 is great as well, but it didn't have the lush and organic properties of the Gjallarhorn. The 9200 was a bit soft for me, but not by much. A great listen for sure. I primarily listen to rock and metal for what it's worth. I sold my 9200 in favor of the Gjallarhorn. None the less, these were the best two closed backs I've owned. Tried the Radiance, but it wasn't doing anything special to my ears.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #5,771 of 6,351
The 9200 is great as well, but it didn't have the lush and organic properties of the Gjallarhorn. The 9200 was a bit soft for me, but not by much. A great listen for sure. I primarily listen to rock and metal for what it's worth. I sold my 9200 in favor of the Gjallarhorn. None the less, these were the best two closed backs I've owned. Tried the Radiance, but it wasn't doing anything special to my ears.
Yeah I had been looking at the 9200 but I also saw many people saying the treble can get kind of harsh at times, so I wasn't sure it would be a great fit for me. If you don't mind, which Gjallarhorn do you have and have you compared it to any of the ZMF closed backs?

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #5,772 of 6,351
As good as it is, I don’t think the D9200 is in line with the HD650 sound profile personally. Reminds me more of a Focal Clear style presentation.

Think you’re on the right lines wanting to check out the closed back ZMFs eg Verite Closed. Then again I haven’t heard any of the Kennertons.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #5,773 of 6,351
Yeah I had been looking at the 9200 but I also saw many people saying the treble can get kind of harsh at times, so I wasn't sure it would be a great fit for me. If you don't mind, which Gjallarhorn do you have and have you compared it to any of the ZMF closed backs?
I haven't heard any ZMF headphones - on the short list. I have the original Gjallarhorn, not the JM modded version. I have been told that the 2nd JM Edition really increases the lower and mid bass, and I feel the bass is pretty close to perfect on the original. Are you dead set on a closed back? If you would consider a semi open headphone, the Ibasso SR2 and SR3 punch way above their price. Half the cost of of a new Gjallarhorn. Also, if you want to keep the expense down, the Kennerton Magni is a banger, but it's not as liquid and detailed as the Gjallarhorn, plus the bass and treble are more prominent. The Gjallarhorn doesn't require as much juice and power as the ZMF offerings to reach their full potential. Not sure what your source is.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #5,774 of 6,351

I'm on the exact path! Love my HD650s and look for a closed-back version/upgrade. So far I tried Denon 7200/9200, ATH awas and ap2000ti, DCA aeon x and ether cx, Audeze lcd-xc. None of them have the rich midrange/vocal I'm looking for. Haven't tried the Kennerton or ZMF cans, none of my local shop have demo units.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #5,775 of 6,351
I'm on the exact path! Love my HD650s and look for a closed-back version/upgrade. So far I tried Denon 7200/9200, ATH awas and ap2000ti, DCA aeon x and ether cx, Audeze lcd-xc. None of them have the rich midrange/vocal I'm looking for. Haven't tried the Kennerton or ZMF cans, none of my local shop have demo units.
What did you think of the 2000ti?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back