The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 11, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #5,746 of 6,351
Never tried anything from Kennerton, but those do look interesting. I'll have to do some more research about their closed-back models.

I've also realized that ultimately I'm not really looking for "warm" headphones (i.e. I don't want elevated bass), what I actually want is "dark" (rolled-off treble).
I was going to say Nighthawk but I see it's your headphone (and one of the worst headphones I owned, I must say according to my bright leaning tastes :beyersmile: ).

JVC-SW01 is dark. Otherwise, Audeze tend to be dark. And indeed all the ZMF headphones are way dark and super smooth...also not for me.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #5,747 of 6,351
Yep. It took me a while to understand “warm” and “dark”, but “dark” (I.e. lowered high end) is what I like. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the mids and high-end in the Atticus, just think the bass is overpowering. I’ve ordered the suede pads to see how they change the sound. So we’ll see.

May 11, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #5,748 of 6,351
Yep. It took me a while to understand “warm” and “dark”, but “dark” (I.e. lowered high end) is what I like. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the mids and high-end in the Atticus, just think the bass is overpowering. I’ve ordered the suede pads to see how they change the sound. So we’ll see.
Verite Closed would probably be the upgrade that really counts for you. The bass is highly tunable with pad swapping. It goes from rolled-off to mid-bass boomy/bloat.

May 11, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #5,750 of 6,351
Just got my hands on a pair of Lirics, gonna take some time and hope they will be my travel cans~ the ES-R10 will not do lol

May 12, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #5,751 of 6,351
You can also try to achieve this with a proper source - using RS8 for example. The highs on this model are a bit rolled off in a very natural way.

May 14, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #5,752 of 6,351
Hi looking to get a really nice closed back and wanted to see what people recommend. I currently have the K371, DT770 250ohm, and the semi open T50 Argon mk3. I have many other open backs and looking to sell or trade my Ananda and my Elear to get something really nice. I'm looking for something with great bass quality and deep sub bass.

May 15, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #5,753 of 6,351
Hi looking to get a really nice closed back and wanted to see what people recommend. I currently have the K371, DT770 250ohm, and the semi open T50 Argon mk3. I have many other open backs and looking to sell or trade my Ananda and my Elear to get something really nice. I'm looking for something with great bass quality and deep sub bass.
Hm, depends a bit on your budget and musical tastes… TH900 or D9200 might be worth a look (myself preferring the D9200), the original M-100 (my all-time favorite), the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 for a more linear signature with good bass extension, the DT700…
Personally I find the bass presentation of planars unattractive, others love it. So maybe also worth investigating. Might need a more potent source though.

May 15, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #5,754 of 6,351
TH900 or D9200 might be worth a look (myself preferring the D9200),
Hi,
have you compared Fostex TH-610 too? Costs noticeably less.

May 15, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #5,755 of 6,351
Hm, depends a bit on your budget and musical tastes… TH900 or D9200 might be worth a look (myself preferring the D9200), the original M-100 (my all-time favorite), the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 for a more linear signature with good bass extension, the DT700…
Personally I find the bass presentation of planars unattractive, others love it. So maybe also worth investigating. Might need a more potent source though.
So I'm looking for a closed back with some good slam and a nice sound stage can be planar or dynamic. I listen to mostly metal and rock with some electronic. My budget is around 400-500

May 15, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #5,756 of 6,351
So I'm looking for a closed back with some good slam and a nice sound stage can be planar or dynamic. I listen to mostly metal and rock with some electronic. My budget is around 400-500
In that case I’d look into the Shure SRH1540 and the Beyerdynamic DT700 (the new closed model, even if below budget)

May 15, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #5,758 of 6,351
Hi,
have you compared Fostex TH-610 too? Costs noticeably less.
Sorry, Never heard the TH610. I had some Drop variants of the smaller Fostex, but did not like them too much despite their rather nice wooden cups.
The original TH600 was nice, more balanced than the TH900, yet a bit rougher in the treble department. Don’t know if that relates to the later TH610 though

May 15, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #5,759 of 6,351
I used to own the thx00 and was good but looking for something with isolation. Would the dt1770 be a good choice?

May 15, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #5,760 of 6,351
Is anyone else getting a bit discouraged with finding good closed-backs?

Maybe I'm just not in a good mood, but reading about the Audivina and its poor seal (for me, isolation is the main reason I want closed-back), and then my mediocre experience with the Atticus (haven't given up yet, but the bass is so boomy I don't know that these will be for me), I'm starting to think that closed-backs might be a dead end. There are so few of them, they're often way more expensive than many open-backs, and new ones keep coming out that are not that great. Seems like plasticky studio monitors might be the only use for closed-backs going forward.

A part of me wants to just switch to open-back full time, but it's hard when I don't live in a very quiet environment and I can hear outside noises through them--it really bugs me sometimes (I also have OCD so I'm incredibly picky about stuff that other people might not notice or care about). *sigh* It seems like every time I get a new closed-back, I either find it to be too bright or too bassy and there's no way to get that exact sound I want. Whereas with open-backs, it seems like I kind of like them all.

Anyway, unless I can find a way to make the Atticus work, I may be temporarily giving up my search for new closed-backs.

I haven't heard Verite Closed, but D9200 was best closed back that I've heard and owned. High end tier sound with most accurate vocals in any headphone, which is only limited by closed back design. I saw lots of people claiming that Stellia is superior to D9200, but after hearing stellia i have to disagree. They trade blows in different areas.

Treble can become hot for some people with D9200, but I guess a decent tube amp with fix any issues with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back