The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 2, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #5,731 of 6,329
I've few very good open back which I love and with Edition XS I'm super happy. I wanted to add to my collection some heaphones still audiophile but also funny to listen with very good bass, Closed Back, nicely and solid build.

I had Meze 99 classics and i really didn't like them and so I sold em

Budget is 2/300
I can only repeat how much I love the original v-Moda M-100 for that exact spot: nice build, fun sound, not breaking the bank. Oh, did I mention that listening with them is really fun?
Unfortunately rather hard to come by nowadays, and the M-100 Master lost some of the fun. The new Crossfade 3 seems nearer to the original M-100, albeit wireless. Still can be used cabled, completely passive though.

May 3, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #5,732 of 6,329
Just getting started in this hobby and so far I have tried:
  • ATH-M40X
  • Meze 99 Noir
  • DT 770
  • DCA Aeon RT Closed
  • DT 700 Pro X
The M40's were my only over ears for a long time, they were just purchased to listen without bothering my wife as most of my high end audio used to take place in cars, and they sound pretty good for what they are honestly. Anyways, haven't had a car system for a few years and decided to give headphones a try.

The Meze's (with Brainwave pads, my ears touch without) seem to fit a lot of my listening and considering I like to fiddle with the EQ a lot, the 2 Beyers don't really do anything extra for me considering they are all dynamics in the same-ish price range (I do like the 700s better than the 770s).

Now, the DCAs blow away all of those for quality, imaging, etc, and they are very pleasing with classic rock and alternative, BUT they are seriously lacking in sub base. Everything else I have listened to so far has had better low end, and they are going back.

I'm finding it amusing that I keep coming back to these $200 Meze's, but at the same time, I am kind of over the chasing sound quality to the most minute detail stage of my audio hobby-ing and just want to enjoy listening (classic rock, alternative & EDM mostly).

(That said, I am going to keep trying more.... lol)

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #5,733 of 6,329
Just getting started in this hobby and so far I have tried:
  • ATH-M40X
  • Meze 99 Noir
  • DT 770
  • DCA Aeon RT Closed
  • DT 700 Pro X
The M40's were my only over ears for a long time, they were just purchased to listen without bothering my wife as most of my high end audio used to take place in cars, and they sound pretty good for what they are honestly. Anyways, haven't had a car system for a few years and decided to give headphones a try.

The Meze's (with Brainwave pads, my ears touch without) seem to fit a lot of my listening and considering I like to fiddle with the EQ a lot, the 2 Beyers don't really do anything extra for me considering they are all dynamics in the same-ish price range (I do like the 700s better than the 770s).

Now, the DCAs blow away all of those for quality, imaging, etc, and they are very pleasing with classic rock and alternative, BUT they are seriously lacking in sub base. Everything else I have listened to so far has had better low end, and they are going back.

I'm finding it amusing that I keep coming back to these $200 Meze's, but at the same time, I am kind of over the chasing sound quality to the most minute detail stage of my audio hobby-ing and just want to enjoy listening (classic rock, alternative & EDM mostly).

(That said, I am going to keep trying more.... lol)
I tried the DCA Æon Closed X from drop which are the same and all it made me want is the Æon 2 Noire for portability and better detail. I found no issue with the bass response, it is not lacking in my opinion and the upgrade in detail is quite clear. I'm also new to the audiophile land, but I agree with other vets that the Noire will probably never need to be replaced as my staple closed back.

May 6, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #5,734 of 6,329
I tried the DCA Æon Closed X from drop which are the same and all it made me want is the Æon 2 Noire for portability and better detail. I found no issue with the bass response, it is not lacking in my opinion and the upgrade in detail is quite clear. I'm also new to the audiophile land, but I agree with other vets that the Noire will probably never need to be replaced as my staple closed back.
I have had like 40-50 pairs of very nice headphone….however DCA has always alluded my purchase. One of these days I will get to hear one.

May 6, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #5,735 of 6,329
I'm on a long, on and off journey to find the perfect portable, foldable, good looking, comfortable, good isolating (non-ANC) and of course, great - think somewhere ZMF Atrium and Hifiman Arya - sounding closed back headphone.

Quite frankly it doesn't exist.

But if I had to pick one headphone that ticks all the boxes except sound, it would be the Marshall Major 3 headphones.images (6).jpegimages (7).jpeg

As far as physical design and build quality goes, these put many much more expensive and "high-end" brands to shame.

What would I improve on them (other than sound)?

1 - balanced wiring
2 - Sorry I've got nothing...

If I could vote for any headphone collaboration to happen it would be for some brand or some reviewer who knows good sound, to team up with Marshall and make the portable headphone to end all portable headphones.
Have you tried the momentum 2 (aka HD-1) on-ear? If you’re looking for that form factor that fold, you might want to try a pair.

May 10, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #5,737 of 6,329
Is anyone else getting a bit discouraged with finding good closed-backs?

Maybe I'm just not in a good mood, but reading about the Audivina and its poor seal (for me, isolation is the main reason I want closed-back), and then my mediocre experience with the Atticus (haven't given up yet, but the bass is so boomy I don't know that these will be for me), I'm starting to think that closed-backs might be a dead end. There are so few of them, they're often way more expensive than many open-backs, and new ones keep coming out that are not that great. Seems like plasticky studio monitors might be the only use for closed-backs going forward.

A part of me wants to just switch to open-back full time, but it's hard when I don't live in a very quiet environment and I can hear outside noises through them--it really bugs me sometimes (I also have OCD so I'm incredibly picky about stuff that other people might not notice or care about). *sigh* It seems like every time I get a new closed-back, I either find it to be too bright or too bassy and there's no way to get that exact sound I want. Whereas with open-backs, it seems like I kind of like them all.

Anyway, unless I can find a way to make the Atticus work, I may be temporarily giving up my search for new closed-backs.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #5,738 of 6,329

Maybe I'm just not in a good mood, but reading about the Audivina and its poor seal (for me, isolation is the main reason I want closed-back), and then my mediocre experience with the Atticus (haven't given up yet, but the bass is so boomy I don't know that these will be for me), I'm starting to think that closed-backs might be a dead end. There are so few of them, they're often way more expensive than many open-backs, and new ones keep coming out that are not that great. Seems like plasticky studio monitors might be the only use for closed-backs going forward.

A part of me wants to just switch to open-back full time, but it's hard when I don't live in a very quiet environment and I can hear outside noises through them--it really bugs me sometimes (I also have OCD so I'm incredibly picky about stuff that other people might not notice or care about). *sigh* It seems like every time I get a new closed-back, I either find it to be too bright or too bassy and there's no way to get that exact sound I want. Whereas with open-backs, it seems like I kind of like them all.

Anyway, unless I can find a way to make the Atticus work, I may be temporarily giving up my search for new closed-backs.
If you haven’t tried Rognir Ppanar with non perforated pads than you definitely should.

May 10, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #5,739 of 6,329
Never tried anything from Kennerton, but those do look interesting. I'll have to do some more research about their closed-back models.

I've also realized that ultimately I'm not really looking for "warm" headphones (i.e. I don't want elevated bass), what I actually want is "dark" (rolled-off treble).

May 10, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #5,740 of 6,329
Never tried anything from Kennerton, but those do look interesting. I'll have to do some more research about their closed-back models.

I've also realized that ultimately I'm not really looking for "warm" headphones (i.e. I don't want elevated bass), what I actually want is "dark" (rolled-off treble).
I have no qualms with the sound of my Kennerton Rognir, but if noise isolation is a primary concern...I find them worse than my closed back ZMFs 😐.

There aren't very many reviews of them, but you might want to consider the closed back offerings from JM Audio. Noise isolation's not bad (I still find my ZMF with lambskin pads the best, short of going noise canceling or iem route), and you can work with John on getting the kind of tuning you want. Just be very specific/really know what you want.

May 10, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #5,741 of 6,329

I would also suggest looking into Kennerton. Gjallarhorn is still my favorite set of cans. You might also want to look into JM Audio Editions XTC models.

May 11, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #5,742 of 6,329

What type of sound are you after? I'm still smitten with this LCD-2 closed/A-100 synergy that I discovered, pretty much a bullseye for me.

May 11, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #5,743 of 6,329
What type of sound are you after? I'm still smitten with this LCD-2 closed/A-100 synergy that I discovered, pretty much a bullseye for me.

I seem to be after a more neutral or mid-forward sound. I like the sound of the Sennheiser 6XX series. That, but closed. Here are descriptors I don’t like: boomy/bloated, piercing, bright, V-shaped. None of which apply to the Sennheisers, but seem to apply to almost every closed-back I try except my beloved NightOwl. :frowning2:

May 11, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #5,744 of 6,329
I seem to be after a more neutral or mid-forward sound. I like the sound of the Sennheiser 6XX series. That, but closed. Here are descriptors I don’t like: boomy/bloated, piercing, bright, V-shaped. None of which apply to the Sennheisers, but seem to apply to almost every closed-back I try except my beloved NightOwl. :frowning2:
The Verite Closed is the closest thing to a true Nightowl upgrade I’ve found

May 11, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #5,745 of 6,329
Actually, the LCD 2 closed would work too as a cheaper option but it’s more neutral/less warm in sound sig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back