The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #5,702 of 6,351
Yeah, I didn't really care much for the Celestee. Too narrow of a sound stage and not warm enough (also just some odd "resonance" that made certain tracks sound weird/wrong). The isolation was incredible, the best I've ever heard on a closed-back that wasn't noise-cancelling, but the clamp wasn't very comfortable, it seemed like it would continuously slip out of place and I had to adjust it a lot. I hate to say it, but Focal's main appeal to me is the looks--absolutely beautiful headphones. But in the other areas, maybe not really my thing.
Yeah, not really my cup either. Though I did enjoy the Clear MG quite a bit, plus it's just sexy. I don't think I would buy it again unless I found a killer deal.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #5,703 of 6,351
I stopped trying Focal models not long after the original Utopia — just not my cup of tea, neither in look nor sound. And that brown thing… don’t get me started.

It’s good to have a wide spectrum of options available — and most definitely I don’t have to like everything. So mostly we‘re back to: best to try out for yourself. Just don’t expect wonders :wink:

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #5,704 of 6,351
Yeah, I didn't really care much for the Celestee. Too narrow of a sound stage and not warm enough (also just some odd "resonance" that made certain tracks sound weird/wrong). The isolation was incredible, the best I've ever heard on a closed-back that wasn't noise-cancelling, but the clamp wasn't very comfortable, it seemed like it would continuously slip out of place and I had to adjust it a lot. I hate to say it, but Focal's main appeal to me is the looks--absolutely beautiful headphones. But in the other areas, maybe not really my thing.

FWIW, the Radiance is significantly warmer than the Celestee. The fit seemed basically identical to me so I'm not sure that much can be done if you don't dig the clamp force. The Focal headbands aren't like others that you can bend slightly to change the clamping force and I'm not sure how much it lightens up over time with use.

Edit: Focals don't generally fit my preferences, but when I listen to them I can see why so many people like them so I have no problem mentioning them as an option if they seem to fit what someone is looking for.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #5,705 of 6,351
FWIW, the Radiance is significantly warmer than the Celestee. The fit seemed basically identical to me so I'm not sure that much can be done if you don't dig the clamp force. The Focal headbands aren't like others that you can bend slightly to change the clamping force and I'm not sure how much it lightens up over time with use.

Edit: Focals don't generally fit my preferences, but when I listen to them I can see why so many people like them so I have no problem mentioning them as an option if they seem to fit what someone is looking for.

To me, Sennheisers have much higher clamp force and I can put up with them (though I won't say they are comfortable headphones per se), so it's not so much that the clamp was excessive as much as it just...wasn't right. Hard to describe. Maybe it's just the downside of thinking the NightOwl was practically perfect in every way, because there's nothing else really like them. I almost wish I had never discovered the NightOwl. Lol

At this point I just want a closed-back that isn't bright or V-shaped (warm/dark/velvety/smooth/musical/lush--all terms I like to hear) and is reasonably comfortable.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #5,706 of 6,351
To me, Sennheisers have much higher clamp force and I can put up with them (though I won't say they are comfortable headphones per se), so it's not so much that the clamp was excessive as much as it just...wasn't right. Hard to describe. Maybe it's just the downside of thinking the NightOwl was practically perfect in every way, because there's nothing else really like them. I almost wish I had never discovered the NightOwl. Lol

At this point I just want a closed-back that isn't bright or V-shaped (warm/dark/velvety/smooth/musical/lush--all terms I like to hear) and is reasonably comfortable.

Do you have a budget in mind? They are expensive, but the ZMF VCs have many of those qualities. One of the best closed backs in existence, IMO. I'm sure I can think of others if I put my mind to it so if you shoot me a budget I'll try to come up with some ideas.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #5,707 of 6,351
Do you have a budget in mind? They are expensive, but the ZMF VCs have many of those qualities. One of the best closed backs in existence, IMO. I'm sure I can think of others if I put my mind to it so if you shoot me a budget I'll try to come up with some ideas.

Well I've already ordered the Atticus last week. I will report back on my thoughts and findings. From what I've heard of others' suggestions, ZMF is a good brand to consider for closed-backs. At this point the Atticus at $1400 (with magnesium chassis) is about all I can afford. I've tried most of the sub-$1000 closed backs, but they just don't quite cut it (good open-backs are much easier to find at a much lower price).

I think if I like the Atticus, I will interested in trying higher-end closed-backs from ZMF down the line, like the new Atrium closed.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #5,708 of 6,351

Read up on the Gjallarhorn. I have very similar taste as you have described. Gone through many and eventually landed on the Gjallarhorn. I'm done searching and trying. More than satisfied. Still searching for that open back though.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #5,709 of 6,351
Well I've already ordered the Atticus last week. I will report back on my thoughts and findings. From what I've heard of others' suggestions, ZMF is a good brand to consider for closed-backs. At this point the Atticus at $1400 (with magnesium chassis) is about all I can afford. I've tried most of the sub-$1000 closed backs, but they just don't quite cut it (good open-backs are much easier to find at a much lower price).

I think if I like the Atticus, I will interested in trying higher-end closed-backs from ZMF down the line, like the new Atrium closed.

Right, I totally forgot about the Atticus. I think there's a good chance you'll enjoy them quite a bit. Definitely remember to pop back on here and let me/us know how they end up working out for you. I totally agree about the ease of finding open backs versus closed backs.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #5,710 of 6,351
Read up on the Gjallarhorn. I have very similar taste as you have described. Gone through many and eventually landed on the Gjallarhorn. I'm done searching and trying. More than satisfied. Still searching for that open back though.

Another good rec right here. If the Atticus don't work out the Gjallarhorns would be a good pair to look at for sure.

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #5,711 of 6,351
I'm on a long, on and off journey to find the perfect portable, foldable, good looking, comfortable, good isolating (non-ANC) and of course, great - think somewhere ZMF Atrium and Hifiman Arya - sounding closed back headphone.

Quite frankly it doesn't exist.

But if I had to pick one headphone that ticks all the boxes except sound, it would be the Marshall Major 3 headphones.
images (6).jpeg
images (7).jpeg

As far as physical design and build quality goes, these put many much more expensive and "high-end" brands to shame.

What would I improve on them (other than sound)?

1 - balanced wiring
2 - Sorry I've got nothing...

If I could vote for any headphone collaboration to happen it would be for some brand or some reviewer who knows good sound, to team up with Marshall and make the portable headphone to end all portable headphones.

Apr 7, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #5,712 of 6,351
Unfortunately "perfect except for the sound" won't cut it for me :wink:
I've eyed the over-ear brother at times, but I think I'll just keep my M-100 -- and the Crossfade 3 is quite a competent wireless headphone.

Apr 7, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #5,713 of 6,351
I've eyed the over-ear brother at times, but I think I'll just keep my M-100 -- and the Crossfade 3 is quite a competent wireless headphone.
I should add that the sound is not terrible. At least on the Major 3 (I've heard others comment that the Major IV is more bass boosted).

The sound of the Major 3 seems slightly recessed in the mids. Treble is rolled off, bass is linear then rolled off when used wired, but slightly boosted and more extended when used in bluetooth mode.

It's a far cry from "audiophile" but not the muddy mess you'd expect from general consumer oriented products.

But my first comment stands. Excellent design. Someone just needs to switch out the driver or at least tune it properly.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #5,714 of 6,351
Just looked up the M-100. Looks interesting I must say. Not quite as pretty as the Marshall (IMHO) but for double the price, and based on the target market, I imagine it should sound pretty good.

So far the best closed back I've heard is the Focal Radiance. Hopefully I'll get to try a ZMF VC at some point, but for the portable use case, I'll happily take something that can match the Elegía for sound whilst bringing the other elements of the Marshall to the table...

I don't ask for much🤪🙂

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #5,715 of 6,351
Just looked up the M-100. Looks interesting I must say. Not quite as pretty as the Marshall (IMHO) but for double the price, and based on the target market, I imagine it should sound pretty good.

So far the best closed back I've heard is the Focal Radiance. Hopefully I'll get to try a ZMF VC at some point, but for the portable use case, I'll happily take something that can match the Elegía for sound whilst bringing the other elements of the Marshall to the table...

I don't ask for much🤪🙂
The Focal Radiance is a very good headphone indeed (former owner here). Its warmer, more bass-emphasizing signature works well for mobile uses as well (even the best-isolating headphones get some external noise leakage that can interfere with bass impact IMHO). It is also easy to drive and exceptionally comfortable.

My primary hesitation around using it in a mobile scenario would be its price/value. But boy, talk about a BOSS headphone to take on an intercontinental flight, for example! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back