The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 23, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #5,686 of 6,351
i m starting my journey to audio world with hifiman ananda. but now closed headphones use only. . stellia favorite ..,,, received today new tubes tungsol vs stock on my xDuoo ta-22. after first seconds- big diference in sound.tungsol superrior sounding. tried in past nos telefunkens,rft,tad... all them tungsol blows away.clearest detailed sound,big soundstage,silky smooth highs,extended from bottom to end,most linear sounding tubes..after investigating different tubes characteristics,read all forums,reviews many tubes,nos or modern -sound,tones, this time skipped ge,electro harmonix,gold lions,siemens ,jj ,psvane or similars tops..got all i want sound. now only listing. superior combo. tube rolling closed too. maybe in future return for tube roll.Happy Tidal hifi plus user. 352.8khz pcm stream. phenomenal sound. blows all as twice or more valued transistor amps.

The Stellias are a great pair of headphones. When I was auditioning TOTL headphones earlier this year I tried out the Stellias at the same time that I auditioned both versions of the Utopias and I have to say that preferred the Stellias. Of the closed backs I tried they are certainly amongst the best even if they aren't necessarily my cup of tea. You have a damn fine rig. Congratulations! 👍😎

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #5,687 of 6,351
One never knows where the road eventually leads... in my case it led me through some entry level options like the B&W P5, through T1/T5p to Abyss et al. And then back again, now more than happy with a small collection to M-100 (original, not the Master version). More robust, more versatile, and quite simply more fun. Oh, and much much cheaper as well...
Yes, I tried some midrange options over the past years like the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 and the DT700 (liked both) and expect to have a good look at any Austrian Audio offerings (headphones made in my hometown by people I know and respect...). But otherwise its more like enjoying to know about and occasionally try something out, seldom purchase anything. Quite happy with that.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #5,688 of 6,351
The Stellias are a great pair of headphones. When I was auditioning TOTL headphones earlier this year I tried out the Stellias at the same time that I auditioned both versions of the Utopias and I have to say that preferred the Stellias. If the closed backs I tried they are certainly amongst the best even if they aren't necessarily my cup of tea. You have a damn fine rig. Congratulations! 👍😎
thanks. if you want profi results,needs use profi tools.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #5,689 of 6,351
Well, as my never-ending quest to find a replacement for my Audioquest NightOwl entered its second year, I finally lost patience and decided to go all out and order a ZMF Atticus. I hope that I will find these an adequate replacement for the NightOwl because right now there just aren't many "warm" closed-backs out there. (I tried the Beyerdynamic T5P 3rd gen and while the sound signature was right, the small earcups made it a non-starter for me). The ZMF is a bit over budget, but I hope I'll consider these a true replacement/upgrade. I'll report back on my findings, in case anyone else here is interested in warm sound signatures.

The Atticus and the Beyerdynamic were recommended to me in this thread as NightOwl replacements and since the Beyerdynamic didn't work out, this seemed like the next logical step. I hope it was the right one.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #5,690 of 6,351
Well, as my never-ending quest to find a replacement for my Audioquest NightOwl entered its second year, I finally lost patience and decided to go all out and order a ZMF Atticus. I hope that I will find these an adequate replacement for the NightOwl because right now there just aren't many "warm" closed-backs out there. (I tried the Beyerdynamic T5P 3rd gen and while the sound signature was right, the small earcups made it a non-starter for me). The ZMF is a bit over budget, but I hope I'll consider these a true replacement/upgrade. I'll report back on my findings, in case anyone else here is interested in warm sound signatures.

The Atticus and the Beyerdynamic were recommended to me in this thread as NightOwl replacements and since the Beyerdynamic didn't work out, this seemed like the next logical step. I hope it was the right one.
If it doesn't tickle your fancy, have you considered the Ibasso SR2? I may have already mentioned this, can't remember.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #5,691 of 6,351
If it doesn't tickle your fancy, have you considered the Ibasso SR2? I may have already mentioned this, can't remember.

But aren't those open-back?

I'm actually way less picky when it comes to open-back and there are all kinds I want to try. It's finding closed-backs that's been the problem.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #5,692 of 6,351
But aren't those open-back?

I'm actually way less picky when it comes to open-back and there are all kinds I want to try. It's finding closed-backs that's been the problem.
Ibasso seems to think it is. From my experience, it leaks less than a Fostex. Many members agree in the dedicated thread. The new SR3 seems to be more open, but still more semi than fully. Unless you need something with close to 100% full isolation. I think your new Atticus might leak a bit.
Thanks for the tip regarding the T1 3rd. I was considering it soon. How small are the ear pads? Close to an on ear model?

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #5,693 of 6,351
Ibasso seems to think it is. From my experience, it leaks less than a Fostex. Many members agree in the dedicated thread. The new SR3 seems to be more open, but still more semi than fully. Unless you need something with close to 100% full isolation. I think your new Atticus might leak a bit.
Thanks for the tip regarding the T1 3rd. I was considering it soon. How small are the ear pads? Close to an on ear model?

I'm not too concerned about leaking, but I guess we'll see. I know they have openings on the cups so they aren't going to be as isolating as a Focal or something like that.

For me personally the Beyerdynamics were close to on-ear and it was to the point where I had to adjust them constantly because just moving my head changed the sound--it was impossible to get a good seal. I guess my ears are on the bigger side, but not remarkably so.

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #5,694 of 6,351

Another pair I would look at if the Atticus don't work out would be the Focal Radiance. They are a great pair of warm closed backs that a lot of people like. That said, I hope you dig the Atticus and I suspect you will. ZMF make some great headphones and, while the Atticus are one of the models I haven't owned, I have always been nothing but impressed by my ZMF purchases. I currently own the Atriums and the Verite Closed and neither will be leaving my collection for a very long time if ever.

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #5,695 of 6,351
Another pair I would look at if the Atticus don't work out would be the Focal Radiance. They are a great pair of warm closed backs that a lot of people like. That said, I hope you dig the Atticus and I suspect you will. ZMF make some great headphones and, while the Atticus are one of the models I haven't owned, I have always been nothing but impressed by my ZMF purchases. I currently own the Atriums and the Verite Closed and neither will be leaving my collection for a very long time if ever.
Great point re: The Radiance. I’m a full-on ZMFanatic these days, but the Radiance is an excellent headphone with a warmer signature and top-notch comfort.

The key difference may actually end up being impedance, depending on your current amp options. The Radiance is likely well under 100 Ohms, while the Atticus is 300 Ohms (as you probably already know).

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #5,696 of 6,351
From my experience, the Radiance is a little more splashy and slightly metallic compared to the NightOwl. Not as smooth and buttery in the presence region, though I definitely wouldn't consider it fatiguing. Could be a good fit, and good suggestion 👌

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #5,698 of 6,351
Great point re: The Radiance. I’m a full-on ZMFanatic these days, but the Radiance is an excellent headphone with a warmer signature and top-notch comfort.

The key difference may actually end up being impedance, depending on your current amp options. The Radiance is likely well under 100 Ohms, while the Atticus is 300 Ohms (as you probably already know).
radiance is 35ohm

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #5,699 of 6,351
From my experience, the Radiance is a little more splashy and slightly metallic compared to the NightOwl. Not as smooth and buttery in the presence region, though I definitely wouldn't consider it fatiguing. Could be a good fit, and good suggestion 👌

Yeah, I didn't really care much for the Celestee. Too narrow of a sound stage and not warm enough (also just some odd "resonance" that made certain tracks sound weird/wrong). The isolation was incredible, the best I've ever heard on a closed-back that wasn't noise-cancelling, but the clamp wasn't very comfortable, it seemed like it would continuously slip out of place and I had to adjust it a lot. I hate to say it, but Focal's main appeal to me is the looks--absolutely beautiful headphones. But in the other areas, maybe not really my thing.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #5,700 of 6,351
Yeah, I didn't really care much for the Celestee. Too narrow of a sound stage and not warm enough (also just some odd "resonance" that made certain tracks sound weird/wrong). The isolation was incredible, the best I've ever heard on a closed-back that wasn't noise-cancelling, but the clamp wasn't very comfortable, it seemed like it would continuously slip out of place and I had to adjust it a lot. I hate to say it, but Focal's main appeal to me is the looks--absolutely beautiful headphones. But in the other areas, maybe not really my thing.
compared focal bathys vs celestee and celestee way waayy too much bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back