The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #4,981 of 6,329
Hey guys I am trying to settle on my endgame closed back headphones. As for open back I am 100% happy with HD800s.

The consensus seems to be that DCA Stealth is the one. However the price is 2x VS some of the next best things, and people cite “out of the box” readiness as one of Stealth’s key strengths.

I use large headphones exclusively with a computer, so EQ is not a problem (I use Peace APO / Soundsource). I'd rather spend $2k or so and use one of Oratory's presets, than go for Stealth which wouldn't work well with a portable source anyways.

I need soundstage, isolation, clarity, neutrality and a good bass. Can't do muffled or too bright (unless it's all 100% addressable via EQ).

So what's the best well-isolating, EQ-friendly high-end closed back?

D9200? LCD-XC?

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,983 of 6,329
What is that stops you from being able to listen to the TH900 for long(er) periods?

If it's the treble, which doesn't bother me personally, I'd give the Yaxi Alcantara pads a go. They're what I currently use. Definitely reigns in the treble, but I mainly like them for the much better comfort.

By extensive use I mean watching videos/movies , playing games , etc. The clamp force is a bit weak for my head size so they keep falling back if I move my head.
I don't want to cause too much wear on them either , they're pretty much my endgame cans and I only use them when I'm in the mood for it.
So I'm looking for a second pair of headphones that offer atleast a somewhat comparable performance to the Fostex. Big bass and soundstage. Currently deciding between the HE-R9 and SR2 but I'm also considering the Nighthawk to a lesser extent , although the NH might be a bit soft in the low-end.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #4,984 of 6,329
Gotcha! They're my endgame too, but I also had the same problem with the clamp. I added the Sennheiser headband padding to my pair - held in place with double sided picture tape at each end - which increased the clamp noticeably.

IMG20220910192247_copy_2048x1536.jpg

I also have the NightOwls, and their bass is really quite excellent, if not TH900 levels (but then, what is).

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #4,985 of 6,329
What is that stops you from being able to listen to the TH900 for long(er) periods?

If it's the treble, which doesn't bother me personally, I'd give the Yaxi Alcantara pads a go. They're what I currently use. Definitely reigns in the treble, but I mainly like them for the much better comfort.
Same boat here. I had to change the pads since I bought the TH900s mk2 a few years ago with these ones (tried different brands before being settled):

https://a.co/d/bb4JDRt

The result: the best sound signature I've ever heard, with less piercing highs and mids coming alive while keeping the bass pounding as they should.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #4,986 of 6,329
Same boat here. I had to change the pads since I bought the TH900s mk2 a few years ago with these ones (tried different brands before being settled):

https://a.co/d/bb4JDRt

The result: the best sound signature I've ever heard, with less piercing highs and mids coming alive while keeping the bass pounding as they should.
Better than your 9200s experience? :relieved: :wink:

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,987 of 6,329
By extensive use I mean watching videos/movies , playing games , etc. The clamp force is a bit weak for my head size so they keep falling back if I move my head.
I don't want to cause too much wear on them either , they're pretty much my endgame cans and I only use them when I'm in the mood for it.
So I'm looking for a second pair of headphones that offer atleast a somewhat comparable performance to the Fostex. Big bass and soundstage. Currently deciding between the HE-R9 and SR2 but I'm also considering the Nighthawk to a lesser extent , although the NH might be a bit soft in the low-end.
Just grab the SR2. I doubt you'll regret it. One of the best sounding cans I've experienced. Unless you want a darker sounding headphone, stay away from the Nighthawk.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #4,989 of 6,329
Just grab the SR2. I doubt you'll regret it. One of the best sounding cans I've experienced. Unless you want a darker sounding headphone, stay away from the Nighthawk.
Off topic, but I have been comparing the SR2's to the Elex's and wow! I will post on SR2 thread.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #4,990 of 6,329
thought i would post this information from moon audio (may be useful for others). it regards my earlier question about how well the focal celestee isolates. seems that the same holds for the radiance -- both leak sound, so these headphones are likely not ideal for those who need a headphone that isolates well/leaks sound minimally.

added some discussion (same source) of the elegia and stellia, which seem to isolate better/leak less.

++

Celestee uses the same 1⅝-inch (40mm) dynamic full-range driver with an aluminum/magnesium “M” shape dome as the Elegia, but with different tuning that lends more emphasis on the lower frequencies. The driver features a rear port. (Note that most drivers do not have this feature, but Focal drivers do.)

Unlike the Elegia, which had a fully sealed enclosure, the Celestee has a vented port on the outside of each ear cup to ventilate excess energy that can build up inside of closed-back headphones. This allows the driver to move faster, which leads to tighter, more controlled bass. The driver plate is angled toward the listener in an effort to emulate center imaging.

The Celestee is still in the category of closed-back headphones such as Elegia and Stellia even though it is ported. We will call it a semi-closed headphone.

++

Like the Elegia, the Stellia incorporates a dampening system on the rear venting port of the driver. This can be seen by the small mesh opening on the center of the cup under the Focal flame symbol. This releases the energy of the driver to compensate for the frontal movement in the closed volume of the cup. It helps produce a larger Xmax or excursion, resulting in a more controlled bass response. And because the port is filtered and small, there is very little sound leakage.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #4,991 of 6,329
For me, it sits at 2nd, behind only the Cascades. They are a ton of fun and pretty affordable.
Thank you! I ended up getting a pair today and the HE-R9s blew me away. Haven't had a "wow" moment in a while when listening to music. Your answer was the push I needed to hit the checkout button. lol Thanks again!

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #4,992 of 6,329
Thank you! I ended up getting a pair today and the HE-R9s blew me away. Haven't had a "wow" moment in a while when listening to music. Your answer was the push I needed to hit the checkout button. lol Thanks again!
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #4,993 of 6,329
Ehemm,

Read the whole thread, took quite some time.

What I can offer is the thread theme music.

This is prob the best song ever made, about headphones.

[start at 18sec]

My mobile gear :

Neumann ND20

Mojo 2

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #4,994 of 6,329
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-focal-subs?variant=42866910527651

ZMF now offers pads for Focals. Haven't seen or tried them myself but I have a set of pads from them for other headphones and the quality is outstanding. I have a set of the dekoni limited edition stellia pads for my clears but I prefer a custom set I ordered from vesper audio.

Interesting - I think about to order the ZMF Focal pads for my Stellia, because the pads are little bit bigger with 70mm ear cavity instead of the 62mm.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #4,995 of 6,329
Today I was offered a pair of like new Audio Technica ATH-AP2000TI closed backs as a partial trade for some gear I'm selling. Does anyone have any experience with them or impressions of them you'd be down to share so I can get an idea of whether or not they'd be a cool pair to take on trade? Any impressions or comments no matter how basic would be highly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back