The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #5,011 of 6,351
I wouldn't think they are summit-fi, but the Radiance are great! I didn't expect the isolation to be so strong. I am also extremely happy with the sound.
Just got them today though. :L3000:
Sooooo comfortable, too! Congratulations and ENJOY!

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #5,012 of 6,351
Very impressed on Day One! Looking forward to trying a wider range of music tomorrow.

Very nice, I'd really like to try one out.

The XC are 20 ohms

Thanks for the reply.

Mojo2 Output power @ 1 kHz/300 Ω 90 mW Output power @ 1 kHz/30 Ω 600 mW

Have you experienced driving the XC's with a mobile DAC ?
These look like really tasty headphones to me.
Can only imagine the sound stage and isolation with these monsters on, with a mobile DAC capable of getting 100% use of them with out melting.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #5,013 of 6,351
Can we have a list of 1000 USD and above knows good matches for the Mojo2 ?

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #5,014 of 6,351
Thanks to everyone that recommended the Dekoni Stellia pads for the Focal Elegia. I just got a set, and they both noticeably deepen the bass (more “punch” without any distortion), and widen the soundstage a little. This without impairing any other part of the frequency range; these are the pads it should have shipped with from the factory. It’s not a gigantic improvement but it is one you notice immediately, and worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #5,015 of 6,351
Thanks to everyone that recommended the Dekoni Stellia pads for the Focal Elegia. I just got a set, and they both noticeably deepen the bass (more “punch” without any distortion), and widen the soundstage a little. This without impairing any other part of the frequency range; these are the pads it should have shipped with from the factory. It’s not a gigantic improvement but it is one you notice immediately, and worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Absolutely. I think this has to be a headphone secret of some sort. The Elegias are at a great price point and with those Dekoni pads, they really shine. You could definitely switch them up depending on music and mood. I'm going to try more Focal tomorrow at CanJam and ZMF (really hope to see if I can try a Verite) and others... But I really wonder if I'm going to be able to find another hidden value gem like this (JM modded R7DX is another value gem).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #5,017 of 6,351
Well, I am definitely finished with all my closed back comparo's.

I have sold my LSA HP-2's.
I have traded my Elegia's for a Rebel amp.
I have my T60 Argon's up for sale on CAM.
I am about to put my HiFiman HE-R9's up for sale on CAM.

I Love my Focal Radiance headphones. They are truly the most balanced closed back I have owned or heard.
I will also be keeping my Cascades. They always make me smile. And sometimes I just like exaggerated bass.

I don't see me ever buying more closed backs. Never say never, but I think I am done. It has been an expensive adventure, but a lot of fun. Tomorrow I move on to the open backs. :L3000:

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #5,018 of 6,351
Out of curiosity, because I’m considering getting an Argon mod of some sort, what makes the T60 Argon’s a go away while the regular mk3 Argon’s are a stay?

The MK3 are the only exaggeratedly warm and bassy headphone I'm keeping in my collection. Everything else is neutral to bright.

The T60 are more neutral leaning than warm but they have a sibilant peak that I couldn't shake. Well actually that's not entirely true. I found that I could remove the sibilance by compressing the cups against my ears or bending the headband to increase clamp. I have a small head so bigger heads will naturally experience more clamp and probably less sibilance. The greater clamp made it less comfortable for me and I lost width in the sound.

The MK3 just fits my collection better now with less tweaking needed on my part. I have actually enjoyed having the T60. It was my first argon. But the combination of MK3 and Atrium have now made it redundant for me.

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #5,019 of 6,351
So last week I went to CanJam SoCal and finally got to try so many of the headphones we've been discussing here. It was great.

Am I crazy? Why do I like the Atticus more than the Verite closed? ZMF was just great and the new Caldera that's coming out was amazing (it's open back though).

I was able to try the Fostex T900, Denon 9200, Audeze LCD-XC, just about every ZMF, the Focal Stellia, DCA Stealth (Expanse too), and so many more.

It made me all the more happy with my current closed back set up that I ended up going a different direction and wound up buying a Meze 109 Pro. Still has good bass, but definitely not a closed back.

The best take away from trying all of these higher end headphones is that while I can hear the difference even without side by side comparison, the difference isn't 2x or 3x. To me. It's like a curve here where you get into diminishing returns. The only way to get every ounce out then is to also upgrade your DAC and amp. For now, I'd rather have two or three different headphones instead so I can switch up based on my mood or the music.

The Stellia was definitely amazing though. Must be the beryllium. If I saw a good deal on that one, I'd probably upgrade.

The Stealth and Expanse from Dan Clark Audio were also amazing...but I'd rather get the Stellia to be honest. The difference isn't worth it to me. It's not better. It's just different. So it comes to personal preference and fortunately I prefer the Stellia in that case.

So I guess the same for the Verite closed and Atticus. I should be happy I like the Atticus more maybe. Maybe those will be my next pair.

Or maybe my ears aren't any good haha. I don't know, but it sure was fun trying all of these headphones.

I now need more headphone holders.

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #5,020 of 6,351
So last week I went to CanJam SoCal and finally got to try so many of the headphones we've been discussing here. It was great.

Am I crazy? Why do I like the Atticus more than the Verite closed? ZMF was just great and the new Caldera that's coming out was amazing (it's open back though).

I was able to try the Fostex T900, Denon 9200, Audeze LCD-XC, just about every ZMF, the Focal Stellia, DCA Stealth (Expanse too), and so many more.

It made me all the more happy with my current closed back set up that I ended up going a different direction and wound up buying a Meze 109 Pro. Still has good bass, but definitely not a closed back.

The best take away from trying all of these higher end headphones is that while I can hear the difference even without side by side comparison, the difference isn't 2x or 3x. To me. It's like a curve here where you get into diminishing returns. The only way to get every ounce out then is to also upgrade your DAC and amp. For now, I'd rather have two or three different headphones instead so I can switch up based on my mood or the music.

The Stellia was definitely amazing though. Must be the beryllium. If I saw a good deal on that one, I'd probably upgrade.

The Stealth and Expanse from Dan Clark Audio were also amazing...but I'd rather get the Stellia to be honest. The difference isn't worth it to me. It's not better. It's just different. So it comes to personal preference and fortunately I prefer the Stellia in that case.

So I guess the same for the Verite closed and Atticus. I should be happy I like the Atticus more maybe. Maybe those will be my next pair.

Or maybe my ears aren't any good haha. I don't know, but it sure was fun trying all of these headphones.

I now need more headphone holders.
Did you get a chance to listen to the closed back sundara?

I've been looking for a closed back planar and theres not many options. As good as the open backs are, I need a closed back.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #5,021 of 6,351
Did you get a chance to listen to the closed back sundara?

I've been looking for a closed back planar and theres not many options. As good as the open backs are, I need a closed back.
Actually, I didn't. I was only there for one day and it went much faster than I would have thought for. I was trying to test headphones in a higher price bracket. Though I should have tried those.

I have a few Hifiman headphones and they kind have turned me off with their attitude to be frank. Their responses to people in these forums and just in general. Not to mention their silent revisions on headphones. I like them because they have a very full line up with headphones at all price points. They are not unlike Sennheiser or Sony or Audio Technica in this sense. This is very nice compared to the very V shape pricing structure some brands have. I've never had build quality issues with any of the Hifiman I've owned either (I know that's a common complaint), but I just kinda skipped them at CanJam for whatever reason.

Next time around I'll try them. I'm not overly impressed with any of the bass from Hifiman though. The planar speed is great, they can have detailed bass, but it's just light. The Hifiman I've tried or own don't scratch my bass head itch for impact. They just don't move air that well.

The R7DX with JM's modification comes very close to hitting that spot for me. Those are good. I listened to them nonstop for weeks. They aren't planar though. If the closed back Sundara can deliver close to that, then it's probably a good pair in my book. To be clear - for my preference/taste. I did have the modded R7DX with me and I did plan on comparing to other Hifiman, but I just never got there unfortunately.

lol I was also somewhat worried about getting dirty looks or something from them if I walked up to their booth with those headphones. Or having to get into an awkward conversation about how they should just hire JM to do their tuning. 😂

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,022 of 6,351
Actually, I didn't. I was only there for one day and it went much faster than I would have thought for. I was trying to test headphones in a higher price bracket. Though I should have tried those.

I have a few Hifiman headphones and they kind have turned me off with their attitude to be frank. Their responses to people in these forums and just in general. Not to mention their silent revisions on headphones. I like them because they have a very full line up with headphones at all price points. They are not unlike Sennheiser or Sony or Audio Technica in this sense. This is very nice compared to the very V shape pricing structure some brands have. I've never had build quality issues with any of the Hifiman I've owned either (I know that's a common complaint), but I just kinda skipped them at CanJam for whatever reason.

Next time around I'll try them. I'm not overly impressed with any of the bass from Hifiman though. The planar speed is great, they can have detailed bass, but it's just light. The Hifiman I've tried or own don't scratch my bass head itch for impact. They just don't move air that well.

The R7DX with JM's modification comes very close to hitting that spot for me. Those are good. I listened to them nonstop for weeks. They aren't planar though. If the closed back Sundara can deliver close to that, then it's probably a good pair in my book. To be clear - for my preference/taste. I did have the modded R7DX with me and I did plan on comparing to other Hifiman, but I just never got there unfortunately.

lol I was also somewhat worried about getting dirty looks or something from them if I walked up to their booth with those headphones. Or having to get into an awkward conversation about how they should just hire JM to do their tuning. 😂
Completely agree on the bass for Hifiman planar headphones. I listened to the arya, ananda, susvara, he6se and the bass was too light for me. I like the speed of the planars but I find that theres very few that can offer the impact of a dynamic. The only headphones i've heard that can hit with the impact of a dynamic is the abyss tc 1266.

I haven't heard the jm r7dx but I have my own modded sony z7m2 for dynamic bass. I took it to canjam nyc to compare to other stuff and didn't find anything comparable in sub bass.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #5,023 of 6,351
Completely agree on the bass for Hifiman planar headphones. I listened to the arya, ananda, susvara, he6se and the bass was too light for me. I like the speed of the planars but I find that theres very few that can offer the impact of a dynamic. The only headphones i've heard that can hit with the impact of a dynamic is the abyss tc 1266.

I haven't heard the jm r7dx but I have my own modded sony z7m2 for dynamic bass. I took it to canjam nyc to compare to other stuff and didn't find anything comparable in sub bass.

I can totally understand your point and was hunting for the best bass slam and impact. That was the reason I was looking for the ultimate closed back as my first and last headphone and bought the Focal Stellia.

After half a year I have to correct my old self. I realisied that there is much more in terms of soundquality, properties... The solution for me was to have more headphones for different genres or my mood. I said goodbye to the thought that the perfect headphone existed and it's really nice to enjoy other aspects of music than a good bass/impact like soundstage an immersive sound of an open back. For me this just like enjoyable as a good bass. The other thing is that I think my brain adjusted to the sound of open backs. I tested the Hifiman Ananda 2 years ago and they had for me no bass. The Arya SE currently has a lot of bass with a lot of impact for me.

Have you tried the Fostex TH900MK2? I'm curious. I think it's perfect for certain genres who needs a lot of bass and when you're in the mood for this kind of sound.

The Focal Stellia has not a lot of mid bass but a lot of deep bass and rumble/impact. I haven't heard this kind of deep bass not in other headphones like Focal Radiance, Denon D7200, Meze Liric, DCA Noire.

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #5,024 of 6,351
I can totally understand your point and was hunting for the best bass slam and impact. That was the reason I was looking for the ultimate closed back as my first and last headphone and bought the Focal Stellia.

After half a year I have to correct my old self. I realisied that there is much more in terms of soundquality, properties... The solution for me was to have more headphones for different genres or my mood. I said goodbye to the thought that the perfect headphone existed and it's really nice to enjoy other aspects of music than a good bass/impact like soundstage an immersive sound of an open back. For me this just like enjoyable as a good bass. The other thing is that I think my brain adjusted to the sound of open backs. I tested the Hifiman Ananda 2 years ago and they had for me no bass. The Arya SE currently has a lot of bass with a lot of impact for me.

Have you tried the Fostex TH900MK2? I'm curious. I think it's perfect for certain genres who needs a lot of bass and when you're in the mood for this kind of sound.

The Focal Stellia has not a lot of mid bass but a lot of deep bass and rumble/impact. I haven't heard this kind of deep bass not in other headphones like Focal Radiance, Denon D7200, Meze Liric, DCA Noire.
I didn't like the Fostex TH900mk2 as much as I thought I would. I listened to them on a silver dragon cable at Moon Audio's table.

I'd honestly have to take the Stellia over them.

I don't think the Stellia really lacks anything. It's one of the (not the only) most perfect headphones I've ever listened to. I liked it better than the Utopia and other more expensive headphones.

Again though, when you can get the Elegias plus the Dekoni limited edition Stellia pads, you're getting maybe 50-75% of what you get from the Stellias...so are the Stellias 6x better? Because that's the price jump. They're a luxury. I'll get them one day for sure, but not before getting a variety of other headphones.

For more bass, the deep and lush bass, I'd probably look at ZMF. I think one of the biggest differences between Focal and ZMF being that to my ears Focal is more dynamic and energetic. ZMF is more smooth. That isn't to say Focal is fatiguing. For as being as dynamic and visceral as they are, they manage not to get fatiguing. You might otherwise think ok one or two songs is enough. Somehow Focal manage to stay on my head for a good while.

These Meze 109 Pros though (listening as I'm typing here on my phone). They're just reminding me so much of the Nightowls in terms of comfort/fit and sit somewhere between that laid back smooth sound and the Focal dynamic energy. I'm still forming impressions though. I know, not closed back, sorry. They are beryllium coated though, but Stellia has slightly more detail and speed. Less soundstage though given they are closed.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #5,025 of 6,351

Agreed that there is no perfect headphone, better luck catching a dragon :).

I have not heard the stellia or the th900mk2. I've always wanted to try both of them but never got the opportunity and didn't want to buy blind.

I have the Focal Clears and upgraded the driver wires to 18awg mundorf silver gold and resoldered everything with mundorf supreme as well as change the pads to custom leather pads. They have excellent bass impact but doesn't extend well, tapers off in the sub bass region. As much as I enjoy them, I need closed backs due to others in the household.

I found the aryas had great quality to the bass but lacking in the impact and volume to satisfy the itch for me.

I recently purchased the TRN Kirin which is a planar iem and it has reinvigorated my interest in planars, the speed is quite addictive and while the clears are quite fast for a dynamic, I find that it still can't match the speed of the planar.

This is why I'm very interested in the Sundara closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back