The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #4,966 of 6,349
Four day weekend aimed at my closed back collection. GOT to thin the herd! Head to head comparo's all weekend.

Edit: Nevermind, you kinda answered my questions above and I just missed the post like a dunderhead...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #4,967 of 6,349
If you had to rank these, where would the HE-R9 sit?
For me, it sits at 2nd, behind only the Cascades. They are a ton of fun and pretty affordable.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #4,968 of 6,349
I've been listening to a lot of drum and bass and jungle and dubstep and stuff like that from the late 90s/early 00s recently, and I've been thinking that I kinda want a closed-back pair for just this kind of music. Unsurprisingly my HD58Xs aren't the best for this sort of stuff lol. You lot got any suggestions? I would imagine thumping bass and especially strong subbass would be necessary, otherwise I'm not sure what to look for and I'm hoping someone here who also listens to this sort of stuff could recommend something that has worked out well for them.

Since it's for a relatively specific need, I'd rather not pay too much. Maybe, I dunno.. somewhere around 200-300 euros max? But the cheaper the better, tbh.
Sorry for bumping my own post a bit, but any other recs? Magnat LZR-980 was recommended and I've already got the Meze 99Cs, if whoever sees this didn't read the previous page.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #4,969 of 6,349
Well I dedicated my whole long weekend to my closed back headphones. I just now put them away and am starting to watch a double header (Toronto vs Baltimore).

I was debating whether to post this or not. These are my personal opinions and I am NOT an audiophile. And it ended up being LONG!

1) The HiFiman HE-R9's are basshead headphones! These things really boom when called upon. Vocals are good, but the higher end is lacking a bit. Not detail monsters but pretty good separation. They do not sound very open at all, which I suppose is related to the limited high end. They are Very easy to drive and also a great bargain at $369.00.

The comfort is awesome. They are very light and I am using a one sided balanced Hart cable, which I already had for the T60 Argon's.

There are now my bass champs and a lot of fun. Definitely do not need ANY bass boost. :smile:

2) T60 Argon's. These need a fair amount of power (mid gain on my iFi). Also, really needs bass boost. IMO, T60 Argon's are not bassy headphones, but are bass prone. They will take all the bass boost or bass eq'ing you can give them. The sound is pretty good and they have a nice size soundstage.
Comfort is pretty good with fat suede pads and a one sided cable.

While these are nice headphones, I think I will probably move these on. They need power and EQ which limits their usefulness.

3) LSA HP-2's. Nice looking headphone and also very light and comfortable. I do find them bass light though. I enjoy the mids,treble and overall detail though. The separation and the precision are amazing. I would kind of compare these headphones to the Grado sound. Lots of detail and bass light.

Very easy to drive and beautiful to look at. Also, probably my most open sounding closed backs. I will be moving these on as they are not what I am looking for in a closed back.

4) Focal Elegia. These were a surprise this weekend. I remembered them as being my most "balanced" closed backs with decent bass and good clarity.
In reality there is not much bass, the clarity is not great and they don't sound very open. I was underwhelmed and used them for a day and a half. After a while I adjusted, but these are not the shoo-ins I thought they would be.
They would be a good headphone to take to work. Solid sound and not too flashy. They do need some power and bass boost though. Makes me wonder about the Radiance purchase. I LOVE my Elex's, but feel a little indifferent about these.

5) Last up is the CFA Cascades. Since I have owned them I have always liked them and thought of them as a "one trick pony". Well that title now belongs to my HiFiman HE-R9's.
These are now my favourite all round closed back. Great bass, very good mids and the top end is not bad. Pretty good overall detail. Many people feel that the bass bleeds over into the mids. I don't find that, but maybe it does and I don't mind it?

I find these very easy to drive and, for me, they don't require EQ. I also find them pretty open sounding.

The downside is, IMO, the worst headband in the industry. It does not fit a normal head, it requires Nuggets to stop the pain and you can't get a good clamp. You can tighten the headband and have a tight clamp for an hour or two and then it relaxes. If I could get a Senn or Focal headband on these it would be just about perfect closed back, for me.

Chain used for the weekend was Laptop to BF2 to iFi Pro iCAN.

Before the ball game started, I did an isolation test with my wife. I listen at a max of 75Db's, so I am a quiet listener. She sits about five feet from me (lazyboy, then table, then lazyboy couch). I ran through my favourite songs at my personal max volume. She could not hear the music from ANY headphones. On two of them she though she heard a sound, but could not even identify it as music. And that includes the HE-R9's which really surprised me.

I'm sending back a pair of Cascades because the bass coming from the right side is weaker than the left side.I only have the HE-R9 and the SR-2 left as alternatives. Can you please help me decide between these two? I was really impressed by the Cascades, especially in the bass (only my left ear was enjoying it , sadly).

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,970 of 6,349
Well I dedicated my whole long weekend to my closed back headphones. I just now put them away and am starting to watch a double header (Toronto vs Baltimore).

I was debating whether to post this or not. These are my personal opinions and I am NOT an audiophile. And it ended up being LONG!

1) The HiFiman HE-R9's are basshead headphones! These things really boom when called upon. Vocals are good, but the higher end is lacking a bit. Not detail monsters but pretty good separation. They do not sound very open at all, which I suppose is related to the limited high end. They are Very easy to drive and also a great bargain at $369.00.

The comfort is awesome. They are very light and I am using a one sided balanced Hart cable, which I already had for the T60 Argon's.

There are now my bass champs and a lot of fun. Definitely do not need ANY bass boost. :smile:

2) T60 Argon's. These need a fair amount of power (mid gain on my iFi). Also, really needs bass boost. IMO, T60 Argon's are not bassy headphones, but are bass prone. They will take all the bass boost or bass eq'ing you can give them. The sound is pretty good and they have a nice size soundstage.
Comfort is pretty good with fat suede pads and a one sided cable.

While these are nice headphones, I think I will probably move these on. They need power and EQ which limits their usefulness.

3) LSA HP-2's. Nice looking headphone and also very light and comfortable. I do find them bass light though. I enjoy the mids,treble and overall detail though. The separation and the precision are amazing. I would kind of compare these headphones to the Grado sound. Lots of detail and bass light.

Very easy to drive and beautiful to look at. Also, probably my most open sounding closed backs. I will be moving these on as they are not what I am looking for in a closed back.

4) Focal Elegia. These were a surprise this weekend. I remembered them as being my most "balanced" closed backs with decent bass and good clarity.
In reality there is not much bass, the clarity is not great and they don't sound very open. I was underwhelmed and used them for a day and a half. After a while I adjusted, but these are not the shoo-ins I thought they would be.
They would be a good headphone to take to work. Solid sound and not too flashy. They do need some power and bass boost though. Makes me wonder about the Radiance purchase. I LOVE my Elex's, but feel a little indifferent about these.

5) Last up is the CFA Cascades. Since I have owned them I have always liked them and thought of them as a "one trick pony". Well that title now belongs to my HiFiman HE-R9's.
These are now my favourite all round closed back. Great bass, very good mids and the top end is not bad. Pretty good overall detail. Many people feel that the bass bleeds over into the mids. I don't find that, but maybe it does and I don't mind it?

I find these very easy to drive and, for me, they don't require EQ. I also find them pretty open sounding.

The downside is, IMO, the worst headband in the industry. It does not fit a normal head, it requires Nuggets to stop the pain and you can't get a good clamp. You can tighten the headband and have a tight clamp for an hour or two and then it relaxes. If I could get a Senn or Focal headband on these it would be just about perfect closed back, for me.

Chain used for the weekend was Laptop to BF2 to iFi Pro iCAN.

Before the ball game started, I did an isolation test with my wife. I listen at a max of 75Db's, so I am a quiet listener. She sits about five feet from me (lazyboy, then table, then lazyboy couch). I ran through my favourite songs at my personal max volume. She could not hear the music from ANY headphones. On two of them she though she heard a sound, but could not even identify it as music. And that includes the HE-R9's which really surprised me.
I would sell them all and get one "endgame" headphone instead. Someone I know is really happy after he upgraded HE6Se V2 to the HE1000SE

Should be in your budget If you sell them all and do the upgrade through hifiman.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #4,971 of 6,349
I'm sending back a pair of Cascades because the bass coming from the right side is weaker than the left side.I only have the HE-R9 and the SR-2 left as alternatives. Can you please help me decide between these two? I was really impressed by the Cascades, especially in the bass (only my left ear was enjoying it , sadly).
Keeping in mind that we all hear differently, They are two VERY different headphones. To me, the HE-R9's are a one trick pony. But it is a great trick: TONS of bass. But the SR2's are a better "all round" headphone and could be your daily headphones. I love the R9's for several days in a row, but then I need to change it up. Of course I am addicted to variety and changing things up, so take that for what's it worth. Also I am biased towards open backs. They sound closer to speakers, to me.
1) R9 closed backs: Funky looking, Very light and comfortable, easy to drive, lack anything much above the mids. Great for rock, hip-hop, etc. Not so much for horn jazz. Not much isolation.
2) SR2 open backs. Great bass and great mids. Oddly, I find better isolation than the R9's. I do find that these lack ultimate clarity, but they do sound super open after a week plus of closed backs. It will be Very interesting to compare these against my favorite open backs next week. These, to me, would be the much better daily headphone, if you can live with open backs.

This hobby is very personal in both gear and music. I like the Cascades much more than either of these two.

Good luck!

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #4,972 of 6,349
I would sell them all and get one "endgame" headphone instead. Someone I know is really happy after he upgraded HE6Se V2 to the HE1000SE

Should be in your budget If you sell them all and do the upgrade through hifiman.
I have the Radiance headphones on the way. Several pairs of headphones are going on sale in the next week, including two sets today. I do wonder about the Hifiman differences, but that is a TON of money to find out. I will likely be going up higher in the Grado/Focal/Hifiman families over the next year, money permitting.

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #4,975 of 6,349
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4,976 of 6,349
Keeping in mind that we all hear differently, They are two VERY different headphones. To me, the HE-R9's are a one trick pony. But it is a great trick: TONS of bass. But the SR2's are a better "all round" headphone and could be your daily headphones. I love the R9's for several days in a row, but then I need to change it up. Of course I am addicted to variety and changing things up, so take that for what's it worth. Also I am biased towards open backs. They sound closer to speakers, to me.
1) R9 closed backs: Funky looking, Very light and comfortable, easy to drive, lack anything much above the mids. Great for rock, hip-hop, etc. Not so much for horn jazz. Not much isolation.
2) SR2 open backs. Great bass and great mids. Oddly, I find better isolation than the R9's. I do find that these lack ultimate clarity, but they do sound super open after a week plus of closed backs. It will be Very interesting to compare these against my favorite open backs next week. These, to me, would be the much better daily headphone, if you can live with open backs.

This hobby is very personal in both gear and music. I like the Cascades much more than either of these two.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your response! Does the SR2 have a wider/deeper soundstage than the HE-9? People say the HE-9 excel in this category , especially for a closed back so I'm curious how they compare. I'm looking for a more immersive and holographic sound in cans with powerful low end similar to my TH-900 which I can't use for extended periods.

Much appreciated!

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #4,977 of 6,349
Quick question- I want to upgrade my focal Elegias with the Dekoni Stellia pads that everyone seems to like. Are these the correct pads:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...es-replacement-ear-pads-for-focal-headphones/

Or am I looking at the wrong ones here?
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-focal-subs?variant=42866910527651

ZMF now offers pads for Focals. Haven't seen or tried them myself but I have a set of pads from them for other headphones and the quality is outstanding. I have a set of the dekoni limited edition stellia pads for my clears but I prefer a custom set I ordered from vesper audio.

IMG_20220723_122147.jpg

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #4,978 of 6,349
Thanks a lot for your response! Does the SR2 have a wider/deeper soundstage than the HE-9? People say the HE-9 excel in this category , especially for a closed back so I'm curious how they compare. I'm looking for a more immersive and holographic sound in cans with powerful low end similar to my TH-900 which I can't use for extended periods.

Much appreciated!

What is that stops you from being able to listen to the TH900 for long(er) periods?

If it's the treble, which doesn't bother me personally, I'd give the Yaxi Alcantara pads a go. They're what I currently use. Definitely reigns in the treble, but I mainly like them for the much better comfort.

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #4,979 of 6,349

Much appreciated!
Again, we all hear differently. The R9's are a closed back and sound like it. Great bass, decent mids and good separation. The SR2's are open back and sound like it. Great bass, great mids and good treble. I don't know about immersive and holographic, but the SR2's certainly sound wider, deeper and more open to me. They really are two very different sounds. If you already have the TH900 and are happy with it, I would look hard at the SR2's. If you want big, boomin'/ bass, go with the R9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back